Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

Download Time Calculator: How long should it take?

Handy little web-tool for guesstimating how long your download should likely take at your rated Internet speed. Assuming the servers aren't swamped and it isn't all going to heck, https://downloadtimecalculator.com/

Estimated size of the download is 90GB but some are saying the release version is back to 127GB

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

1 minute ago, HiFlyer said:

Estimated size of the download is 90GB but some are saying the release version is back to 127GB

Depends on the version, 127 GB is Premium Deluxe.

Cheers, Søren Dissing

CPU: Intel i9-13900K @5.6-5.8 Ghz | Cooler: ASUS ROG RYUJIN III | GPU: ASUS Strix RTX4090 OC | MoBo: ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | RAM: 64Gb DDR5 @5600 | SSDs: 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (Win11), 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (MSFS), | Case: ASUS ROG Helios 601 | Monitors: HP Reverb G2, 28" ASUS PB287Q 4K | Additional Hardware: TM TCA Captain's Edition, Tobii 5 | OS: Win 11 Pro 64 | Sim: MSFS | BA Virtual | PSXT, RealTraffic w/ AIG models

I only have a 8mbs download speed and a monthly limit of 3 GB so I'll be buying the box version. Question, I can afford a nice computer but given where I live there is only one Internet provider with limited capability, MS mention 5Mbs minimum, will it be possible to use MSFS 2020 under these conditions? I don't anticipate things changing anytime soon. Thanks Martin 

It would take

1 day 13 hours 52 minutes 45 seconds

to transfer 127 Gigabytes

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

Handy little web-tool for guesstimating how long your download should likely take at your rated Internet speed. Assuming the servers aren't swamped and it isn't all going to heck, https://downloadtimecalculator.com/

For the record it's not only download speed what matters 😉

André

Well, given that we've effectively waited 14 years for a new MSFS, I reckon that six hours (for me) will just about be tolerable. Almost. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

I don`t think you will see much difference in download size for each version, when you go to fly in the sim loading times may very. 

127GB = 1hour 23mins 47sec.

Edited by G-RFRY
  • Upvote 1

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

4 minutes ago, MartinRex007 said:

I only have a 8mbs download speed and a monthly limit of 3 GB so I'll be buying the box version. Question, I can afford a nice computer but given where I live there is only one Internet provider with limited capability, MS mention 5Mbs minimum, will it be possible to use MSFS 2020 under these conditions? I don't anticipate things changing anytime soon. Thanks Martin 

It would take

1 day 13 hours 52 minutes 45 seconds

to transfer 127 Gigabytes

You might find it efficacious to play on offline mode or cache the areas you fly in.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

18 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

You might find it efficacious to play on offline mode or cache the areas you fly in.

I'll try and track down some documentation and see what offline mode offers.

Thanks - Martin

29 minutes ago, MartinRex007 said:

a monthly limit of 3 GB

THREE!!!!!!  Freakin' heck, my previous ISP had 25 and there is no way I could use MSFS even offline!  What happens when you get an update?  You'll end up going over 3 GB a month just on the verifications MSFS uses when it starts to make sure you have a legit copy.

And the very first thing that will happen after you install the sim and start it, is you'll get a day-one update.

You have my best wishes.

Hook

• Upvote 2

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

37 minutes ago, MartinRex007 said:

I only have a 8mbs download speed and a monthly limit of 3 GB

Think you need to change ISP, my mobile phone, when not connecting to wifi has 8mbs download speed and more data than that.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Hook, Eriol Yeah, I was afraid of that, I may have to watch from the sidelines for awhile. Unfortunately I live on the outskirts of San Diego in the foothills and we only have one slow Internet provider. I just check and it turns out I have 100 GB/month, that's better but might still be a problem?

Thanks - Martin

Edited by MartinRex007

Do you think you can pause the download?  I'm still working from home and my ability to do that is more important than the download.

[ This Content Is Restricted To Avsim Premium Members ]

30 minutes ago, MartinRex007 said:

I just check and it turns out I have 100 GB/month, that's better but might still be a problem?

I recently was able to upgrade from satellite Internet.  I've been flying in the sim, watching videos, etc, and currently I think I'm the only one using bandwidth. I currently go through about 200 gig per month.

I did a short hop from San Diego to Los Angeles recently and used 2.7 gig in 1.3 hours.  Typically I see 0.5 to 1 gig per hour while flying in unpopulated areas.  You can keep track of your bandwidth usage externally and the sim keeps track of what it uses as well.

Note:  this was in the Cessna 152 so I wasn't flying very fast. 😄 

I suspect 100 gig will be a little tight, but it's something you can work with.  How much bandwidth does your family leave you to play with every month? 🙂 

Hook

Edited by LHookins

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;