Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

Download Time Calculator: How long should it take?

25 minutes ago, andyjohnston.net said:

Do you think you can pause the download?

Steam has always resumed downloads on its own (from where it left off) if you should close it while it's downloading. I have no idea about the MS store wrapper, though.

Edited by hangar

19 minutes ago, LHookins said:

I suspect 100 gig will be a little tight, but it's something you can work with.  How much bandwidth does your family leave you to play with every month?

For 25$ more a month I can increase it to 200 GB per month which I might have to do because my wife uses it a lot also, no kids so just the two of us! I think it's 3$ for each GB over. So for 200 GB I would have to pay $99.95 a month? Living out of the city comes with a price 😞

Thanks for the info, that's really useful to know?

Cheers

Martin

• Like 1

It would take

36 minutes 21 seconds

to transfer 127 Gigabytes

at 59.6 MB/sec

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

C'mon Microsoft, enable pre-install. We should be able to launch the game on launch day. Not the day after.

• Like 1

1 day 5 hours 1 minute 12 seconds

for me.. at 7.4 Mbps 😉

Hope there is a good auto-resume feature built in..

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

I use Internet Download Manager that increases efficiency and reduces download time by establishing several data streams. 

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

James M Driskell, Maj USMC (Ret)

I have 200/50 mbps connection and it would take 

1 hour 30 minutes 54 seconds

to transfer 127 Gigabytes

at 23.84 MB/sec

13 minutes ago, Heavy Metal said:

Same here. 

Here also, at 500mbps

@MartinRex007: isn't fiber an option for you? I see that AT&T in San Diego has an uncapped 1000mbps for $70/month (first year $50)

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

I know it will take at least 8 hours on my 35 MBps connection, as that's how long it took to download the Alpha and Beta versions of similar size.  

It'll be even longer if the pipes get clogged somewhere along the way.  

Some people on the Beta forum reported times measured in days.  I did not inquire as to their connection speeds.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

20 minutes ago, orchestra_nl said:

isn't fiber an option for you? I see that AT&T in San Diego has an uncapped 1000mbps for $70/month (first year $50)

No, unfortunately not where I live. Only 50 miles from downtown San Diego but you would think we lived on another planet. Septic tank, propane, satellite disk for TV, wireless Internet etc. This peace and quiet comes without the luxuries of city living, put honestly I wouldn't trade it for anything 😉

If I go with the disk package and then only download the updates and cache those areas where I fly I should be OK? I'll see how Bert does he mentioned above he has about the same download speed that I do 8mbps.

Cheers

Martin

Edited by MartinRex007

11 minutes ago, MartinRex007 said:

If I go with the disk package and then only download the updates and cache those areas where I fly I should be OK?

The last time I checked, where you live is rather far from Europe, which it the disk version is available. Unless you find someone in Europe to buy it for you then forward the package to you, I'm afraid you are going to be SOL... 😢

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

US has some of the crappiest ISPs in the world. Thank God I live in a city in Europe with fast internet and now limits on up or downloads. 

1 hour ago, n4gix said:

The last time I checked, where you live is rather far from Europe, which it the disk version is available. Unless you find someone in Europe to buy it for you then forward the package to you, I'm afraid you are going to be SOL..

Good point, I didn't know that! So it will only be released on disk in the UK, Hmmm better hurry and find a friend in Europe :-)

Well, after looking into the DVD version, even if I could buy it, there is an issue with always having to install disk-1 every time you want to fly. Here is a summary from Mathijs Kok over at Aerosoft: 

1. The DVDs contain only the installer and the content (aircraft, world etc). The actual simulator software is downloaded during installation. That way you always have the latest version. For this the installer will guide you through the creation of an Xbox account (if you do not have one) etc. That means you need an active internet connection during installation. You also need a connection to run the simulator (it updates itself at every start when needed). But to be frank, it makes very little sense to run this offline.
  2. After you ran the DVD installation, you will be asked to re-insert DVD 1. This will be checked during the activation.
  3. At the first start the sim will check all files and update everything that is needed.  As time progresses this will be a larger download.
  4. From the users perspective you will end up with exactly the same version as somebody who bought it at the Microsoft Store.

Edited by MartinRex007