scout's honor?  🙂

Yes, and in the meantime, people should learn to turn the map filters on:

bdZq0wq.png

• Like 12
  • Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

6 minutes ago, thepilot said:

which made it clear that there would be no improvement in terms of IFR capabilities

What capabilities is the sim lacking to complete IFR flights?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MattNischan said:

What capabilities is the sim lacking to complete IFR flights?

I never said that anything was "lacking" nor that you wouldn't be able to complete IFR flights, don't twist my words. With improvements I mean things we haven't really had in FSX/P3D yet: Proper clearances, improved phraseology, maybe even voice recognition, etc. Or varying accents and intelligibility to make it all the more challenging.

Edited by thepilot

Truth is, for an IFR flight, you sit there at a desk, writing stuff out on your kneeboard in preparation for the flight, and you have approach charts etc. Or you write it on the cockpit side window with a grease pencil. So if you want it as real as it gets, do that, stick a pen and a pad on your PC desk. This will cost you about a quid from a pound shop, so it's hardly a prohibitively expensive flight sim add-on.

Yeah you can get some frequency info from a GPS or whatever, or even ask ATC, but never in the entire history of mankind has there ever been a recorded case of a piece of paper having a hard disk crash. The biggest risk it faces, is blowing out through the DV panel window, or getting tea spilled on it.

Edited by Chock
  • Like 9
  • Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

1 minute ago, Chock said:

This will cost you about a quid from a pound shop,

Pound shop?.... Dollar store??  Like "Chip shop".....Fish and chips??

Charlie Aron

AVSIM Board of Directors-Moderator-Registrar

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

https://www.poundland.co.uk/

Practically a British institution these days. Great for superglue, pens, USB wires, etc.

Edited by Chock
  • Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

51 minutes ago, Colonel X said:

Still an achievement how Asobo tricked all major gaming outlets, even the most respected ones, to shell out the 10/10 reviews. I mean of course a regular gamer can't grasp a flight simulator, but there are many, many issues that go unnoticed in the reviews.

Tricking? How did they do that? Did they distract the reviewers with cakes and chocolates? Kidnap them and then write the reviews in their name? 

• Like 5

Well, any reviewers who 'sold their soul' for a freebie, who then want their youtube channel to be respected, have shot themselves up the @rse on that one. Like my Dad told me years ago; if you lose your good name, you'll never get it back son.

But an honest review doesn't have to be a character assassination. People respect honesty, even those on the end of criticism if it is made in the right way.

And when I started reviewing for Avsim years ago, I asked Tom Allensworth if we were compelled to be nice on freebie review stuff we got, and he said: 'hell no, if it's bad, you say it's bad.'

Edited by Chock
  • Like 7

Alan Bradbury

Been simming since FS1 days.

So far this has to be the best looking and detailed sim out of the box yet.

In my few years old rig I can get High settings and steady fps all around even over Manhattan at night.

The previous flightsims were nowhere near this detail and playability at launch day IMO.

Also its fun to see other online aviators out of the box without the need to install VATSIM etc, live AI traffic. is something we didn't have out of the box on launch day before.

I myself am not going to touch the large airliners until maybe next year, the GA aircraft are fine for me at the moment and very nice.

Yes I know there are bugs and issues but as there basically aren't any up do date modern flight simulators out there that can even compete with this level of detail in the new MSFS2020.

• Like 13
  • Upvote 5

2 minutes ago, Concorde79 said:

Been simming since FS1 days.

So far this has to be the best looking and detailed sim out of the box yet.

In my few years old rig I can get High settings and steady fps all around even over Manhattan at night.

The previous flightsims were nowhere near this detail and playability at launch day IMO.

Also its fun to see other online aviators out of the box without the need to install VATSIM etc, live AI traffic. is something we didn't have out of the box on launch day before.

I myself am not going to touch the large airliners until maybe next year, the GA aircraft are fine for me at the moment and very nice.

Yes I know there are bugs and issues but as there basically aren't any up do date modern flight simulators out there that can even compete with this level of detail in the new MSFS2020.

Stop being so sensible. This is the worst sim to ever launch, none of the planes work, it's an arcade game, and it also insulted my wife upon launching. 

• Like 14

The game is visually stunning and performs pretty well on my PC even at high settings. I think it has a lot of promise but it won’t be a serious sim for me until we get some study-level aircraft and support for some third party add ons like GSX, etc. 

I find the interface, especially when trying to set up control assignments, very confusing. 

Definitely bugs and quirks I think it’ll get there eventually! 

1 minute ago, bonchie said:

Stop being so sensible. This is the worst sim to ever launch, none of the planes work, it's an arcade game, and it also insulted my wife upon launching. 

What, how did it insult your wife?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, GodAtum said:

Microsoft marketing machine did its job convincing people that it would kill P3d/Xp, the community ran with that hype

Can you show me where the “Microsoft marketing machine” said anything about P3D or Xplane? Anywhere? Anything at all? Even if it is positive?

....We’ll wait while you find that. 

• Like 8
  • Upvote 3

Chris

Get new amazing looking sim,complains that it doesn't act like sim that user has probably spent $1000s in addons for.... Its not perfect but at least is doesn't have the potato graphics of P3D

• Like 11
  • Upvote 1

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.