Sign in to follow this  
robert young

Patience of a saint.....

....required here. I think this sim was sent as a test. Please advise if you have the Steam version:

I start the sim which takes a good 3 minutes to load to the menu on an ssd, but that is not including "searching for updates" which takes another three or more. Can I switch this off? Next find the global sphere. Zoom in on airport. Choose an aircraft. Set weather. Click on "Fly". Immediate crash to desktop. Start up all over again. This time aircraft loads and flies. It happens every time. Start, load, crash, start again, load, no crash.

Anyone else getting similar and any suggestions? Thanks.

Edited by robert young

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

1 minute ago, robert young said:

....required here. I think this sim was sent as a test. Please advise if you have the Steam version:

I start the sim which takes a good 3 minutes to load to the menu on an ssd, but that is not including "searching for updates" which takes another three or more. Can I switch this off? Next find the global sphere. Zoom in on airport. Choose an aircraft. Set weather. Click on "Fly". Immediate crash to desktop. Start up all over again. This time aircraft loads and flies. It happens every time. Start, load, crash, start again, load, no crash.

Loading times are quite long for me, yes, but I didn't have a single crash so far.

All drivers up to date? Windows 10 at version 2004?

4 minutes ago, robert young said:

How much RAM to do you have and what are your settings for terrain detail (0-200), buildings, and trees?

Loading times suck, but no crashes.

My guess is it's system related given this doesn't seem easily reproduced by a lot of people. Have you tried backing off the settings just to isolate the issue?

I'm running the sim via Steam. Here's what I'm experiencing:

1 min, 15 seconds until I see the "Press Any Key" prompt

1 min from that prompt to the GUI.

2 min, 24 seconds from hitting the Fly button to sitting in the cockpit at KJFK (which wasn't cached on my machine; rural airports seem to load faster).

No crashes so far, fingers crossed.

My specs: i7-8700k at 4.5 GHz, 16 GB ram, RTX2070 GPU

Wayne Klockner
United Virtual

BetaTeamB.png

17 minutes ago, MattNischan said:

How much RAM to do you have and what are your settings for terrain detail (0-200), buildings, and trees?

16 Gigs RAM. Flawless system with 1080ti - which runs p3d at easily 60 fps with high detail.  I'm running on the lowest possible settings for now. Just one aircraft in very low res scenery. Resolution at 70. no AI. No ATC. No anything else.

Edited by robert young

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

A blessing and a curse, No Steam here...download would have been honest and straightforward but for one test of faith when I began to install and it told me it was ready to install into C:\ blah\blah and I had specifically told the Store I wanted it on the D:\ drive. I was just about to change it, when I noticed it said it had found 472 GB free on the installation drive. Well, that was my D drive, so I just hit return.

4 hours later I was playing MSFS on my entry-level RoG Strix gaming laptop at medium settings.

High End gave me frame rates in the 10 to 20 range, so I'm going to be good with this.

Very long load times. Boot-up is long, and Fly! is pretty long too.

My first session bombed out while attempting to switch airports; it then bombed out after the "Press Any Key" screen on the next load.  Funny enough, it's been fine since, so I'm not sure if it's something I did or what...

Christopher Sargeant | Worldwide Virtual WW2464

Spoiler

Sim PC Specs: i7-11700F @ 2.5 Ghz | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB | 16 GB DDR4 SDRAM | Windows 11 Pro | P3D v5.3 hf2 | MSFS | TrackIR 5

2 minutes ago, robert young said:

16 Gigs RAM. Flawless system with 1080ti - which runs p3d at eaily 60 fps with high detail.  I'm running on the lowest possible settings for now. Just one aircraft in very low res scenery. Resolution at 70. no AI. No ATC. No anything else.

Yeah, seems like it should definitely start.

If you have any additional audio devices (a headset, etc), or anything connected to bluetooth, shut those down and see if anything changes.

5 minutes ago, RudiJG1 said:

rural airports seem to load faste

Yes, I loaded some remote islands today and it only took seconds.

i9-11900K, RTX 4090, 32 GB ram, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, TCA Airbus sidestick and quadrant, Reverb G2

Mine has only crashed when I click the exit to desktop button.  Does load slowly, however.

8 minutes ago, robert young said:

16 Gigs RAM. Flawless system with 1080ti - which runs p3d at easily 60 fps with high detail.  I'm running on the lowest possible settings for now. Just one aircraft in very low res scenery. Resolution at 70. no AI. No ATC. No anything else.

Rob...is your Win10 updated to version 2004? I think i read somewhere that it may need to be. Go to windows update app in win10 and check it. Not saying this is your issue but just another thing to check in case.

1 minute ago, hangar said:

Rob...is your Win10 updated to version 2004? I think i read somewhere that it may need to be. Go to windows update app in win10 and check it. Not saying this is your issue but just another thing to check in case.

Thanks. I will investigate.

28 minutes ago, robert young said:

Not even close to that Robert, and I am on a rather outdated rig - i5 2500 + GTX 960 + 16 GB DDR3 RAM + System on 240 GB SSD and sim on old 500 GB HDD...

Loads in between 1 to 1,5 minute, never crashed on me ( including while on Alpha / closed Beta ).

And yes, as per others suggestions, in Win 10 always make sure you don't have a win 10 update waiting in the queue - check your Update & Security Tab.

Edited by jcomm

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

1 minute ago, jcomm said:

Not even close to that Robert, and I am on a rather outdated rig - i5 2500 + GTX 960 + 16 GB DDR3 RAM + System on 240 GB SSD and sim on old 500 GB HDD...

Loads in between 1 to 1,5 minute, never crashed on me ( including while on Alpha / closed Beta ).

Ok well I need to investigate. Thanks for that.