Sign in to follow this  
eslader

Is it me, or is cloud turbulence not really a thing here?

vLnT6y7.png

I just flew through that wall of clouds. Didn't really see much more turbulence than I was seeing when I wasn't in a cloud, which is to say not very much at all.  Anyone who flies much RL knows that you get some shakes any time you enter a cloud because that's what a cloud is - wet, turbulent air. Is there a setting I'm missing, or is the weather engine lacking?

• Upvote 1

Same here, it's really hit or miss. I flew last night through that South America storm and there were amazing clouds, rain but the flight was smooth as butter.

Edited by Heaven

10 minutes ago, Heaven said:

Same here, it's really hit or miss. I flew last night through that South America storm and there were amazing clouds, rain but the flight was smooth as butter.

Yes, me too

i think Meteoblue did a marvellous job but the FDE plane developpers are still not mastering how they interact with nature forces

they are leaving that part to third party addons, its just a matter of including turbulence parameters in the flight model

Edited by kapitan

8 minutes ago, Heaven said:

Going with THIS plane into THIS clouds will be almost washing machine experience. Not to mention the hail the size of a baseball you might find there...

Roi Ben

1 minute ago, kapitan said:

Yes, me too

i think Meteoblue did a marvellous job but the FDE plane developpers are still not mastering how they interact with nature forces

they are leaving that part to third party addons, its just a matter of including turbulence parameters in the flight model

Screw 3rd party. I mean really, such statements makes me angry. Lets wait and see what Asobo will do.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 2

Roi Ben

11 minutes ago, roi1862 said:

Screw 3rd party. I mean really, such statements makes me angry. Lets wait and see what Asobo will do.

Beyond that, it doesn't quite make sense. All planes should react to air conditions, right? Is there some special air model for weather that's separate from the regular air model?

get used to it newbie! Its been the way it is since FS95

Asobo will soon be out of the scene, their role is done. They were hired to make the default models and and FDE, which they prepared in a fantastic way in the Cesna 152, the other planes are more like liveries, just to fill up the library

Third parties will have the hard job of doing for other planes what was done in the Cessna 152

This sim is not about planes, its about a live planet, as much as possible.

How they fully interact with a complex and growing live planet as Meteoblue and the open FDE is up to third parties to growingly provide. 

Did you notice that 80% of switches in the Airbus or 747 are INOP ? that doesnt mean they were not intended to use. They are working and the option exists, but right now are inoperative because its up to third parties to include them in a more complex project.

Edited by kapitan

Turbulent air off of hills and buildings is modelled. Caused me to crash while canyon flying. I don't think turbulent convective air is modelled, however.

• Upvote 1

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

3 minutes ago, kapitan said:

get used to it newbie! Its been the way it is since FS95

Asobo will soon be out of the scene, their role is done. They were hired to make the default models and and FDE, which they prepared in a fantastic way in the Cesna 152, the other planes are more like liveries, just to fill up the library

Third parties will have the hard job of doing for other planes what was done in the Cessna 152

This sim is not about planes, its about a live planet, as much as possible.

How they fully interact with a complex and growing live planet as Meteoblue and the open FDE is up to third parties to growingly provide. 

Did you notice that 80% of switches in the Airbus or 747 are INOP ? that doesnt mean they were not intended to use. They are working and the option exists, but right now are inoperative because its up to third parties to include them in a more complex project.

Do i sniff a conspiracy theory from you ? 

• Upvote 1

Roi Ben

2 minutes ago, WestAir said:

I don't think turbulent convective air is modelled

Well that would be annoying. I distinctly remember a video where they talked about how if one wing was in a cloud and the other was not, you'd get differential turbulence.

• Like 3

cumulus clouds = turbulence 

• Upvote 1

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

Well I flew threw some clouds last night that rattled the plane so hard you could hear it. So it's there in some cases at least.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Intel Core i7 8700k clocked to 4.6GHz, GTX1080Ti, 32GB DDR4 RAM, MSFS installed on NVMe drive, Windows 11, Dell 27" 60Hz Monitor + Dell 24" 60Hz Monitor. Resolution 1920x1080. Game Mode on, GPU scheduling enabled (Win11). MSFS settings: High-End for airlines, Ultra for GA.

Yeah, that's the weird thing. The plane never flies completely straight and level. It's always bumping around a bit reacting to the air. But flying through those clouds, it should have been bumping around a lot more, and wasn't. That makes me suspect it's not the plane, because if the plane wasn't set up to react to air currents properly, then it shouldn't react to them ever, yet it does.  

Makes me more suspect that the weather engine is, at least in my case, loading the pretty visuals and not loading the actual weather.

I suppose that's better than day 1, when it didn't even load the clouds when I was supposed to be in a heavy thunderstorm, but still...

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, aktorsyl said:

Well I flew threw some clouds last night that rattled the plane so hard you could hear it. So it's there in some cases at least.

and the winds aloft are there.

Missing the PMDG DC6 in MSFS 2020 (she's here, but...).

35 minutes ago, roi1862 said:

Screw 3rd party. I mean 

This is a Microsoft project.

Bing, Meteoblue and Cortana (or text to speech) are the things that will be hot in future. Things related to a live planet.

Not default planes. Not Asobo

These will end up not being flown ever again by most

Edited by kapitan