Sign in to follow this  
middiu

MSFS 2020 Default planes quality level

Hi There, 

Because I've never used a PMDG 747 or a QW 787 I was wondering how far the MSFS2020 747 and 787 are from those.

Same thing for Aerosof A320,

Can you guys give your opinion?

Cheers

How far? Think earth and moon apart. There's literally no comparison other than the color of the flight deck.

• Like 2

There’s no comparison. PMDG airliners are the real deal. Every button does exactly as it does in real life. In the default airliners, only half of the FMC pages work and many systems are just not modeled. They’re decent for default aircraft, but there’s no comparison there.

6 minutes ago, middiu said:

Hi There, 

Because I've never used a PMDG 747 or a QW 787 I was wondering how far the MSFS2020 747 and 787 are from those.

Same thing for Aerosof A320,

Can you guys give your opinion?

Cheers

You can’t ask to compare this default airplanes to PMDG at all . In the past there has been payware ac that were worse , and than later you pretty much had to pay for the interior bit to work . But nobody remembers that . If you been following the development of FS2020 you may of noticed that this was not expected to be released now . In my opinion and I know others agree I have the feeling that this default airplanes was or is going to get some updates that was already planned if that happens this ac could eventually be full on payware study level ac.  

Image removed as image is no longer available.

Well, since there are no FSL, Aerosoft, PMDG etc airliners for the new sim, it's not really possible to make a direct comparison, but if I were to compare some payware stuff (for FSX and P3D) with the default airliners in the new MS sim, I'd say the default aeroplanes offered around ten percent of the systems functionality of a good quality payware FSX/P3D airliner. 

This sounds like a lot, and it is, but that said, there is enough functionality in the default aeroplanes to allow you to simulate an airliner flight in a reasonably entertaining fashion as far as navigating and following a flight plan is concerned, albeit without some of the more complex interactions on the FMC.

But the default airliners are a massive improvement systems-wise over the default airliners which were in FSX, since these did not have a functioning FMC at all. The default airliners in the new sim miss out detailed avionics functions such as TCAS, radar modes, INS, various PFD page functions, and operational infrastructure systems such as hydraulics, pnuematics, electrical etc. So the overhead panel and the pedestal is mostly non-functional eye candy.

This only really matters if you are wishing to follow all of the actual checklists and setting up of the real thing. If you just want to drive it from one airport to another with basic ATC and not worry about all that more detailed stuff, they are good enough for that.

I would put them on par with something like a £20 add-on Virtualcol airliner for FSX or P3D, although massively better visually of course. This is not too bad to be fair and is in no way intended to be dismissive of either. I have all those fancy payware airliners for P3D and FSX, but I'm still a fan of Virtualcol's 'jump in and go' aeroplanes, and I have bought literally every one they've ever made, because sometimes I do just want to jump in and go.

Simpler airliners definitely have their place in a flight sim, and especially in this new one from MS, where part of the aim of it is to attract a wider audience, which they would not do if you had to spend 15 minutes aligning the INS before you could even do anything.

Edited by Chock
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Whilst all above are correct, I'm still having a great time flying the A320. No, it doesn't come close to any PMDG or FSLabs in the realism dept, but, everything you need for successful flights are there. The ILS autoland works without a hitch as does the reverse thrust. Yes, it can be quirky, but I'm loving it. It will do until PMDG release the 737. And now we have loads of liveries for the A320!

P.S. As an example of the CAT 3 capabilities, it landed me yesterday at Heathrow in a 45 knt wind!! Completely hands off!

Edited by SierraHotel
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR and BATC FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

Thanks Guys, that is really helpful in setting up expectations.

No one mentioned QW787 but I guess it similar to PMDG or FSLab

Thanks 

They are called "default" for a reason. But these default planes are a significant improvement over previous default planes. 

Now, the highly priced addons you can buy let you push, turn, and twist a whole lot more buttons, knobs, and the like. 

And the addon developers make a lot of claims about their toys being "tested by real pilots", "almost 99% true to the real thing." This marketed to simmers, who could'nt distinguish a real thing from the Real Housewives of Atlanta. 

Make up your own mind, but I suggest you thoroughly explore the default planes before deciding what addons to buy. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SierraHotel said:

Whilst all above are correct, I'm still having a great time flying the A320. No, it doesn't come close to any PMDG or FSLabs in the realism dept, but, everything you need for successful flights are there. The ILS autoland works without a hitch as does the reverse thrust. Yes, it can be quirky, but I'm loving it. It will do until PMDG release the 737. And now we have loads of liveries for the A320!

P.S. As an example of the CAT 3 capabilities, it landed me yesterday at Heathrow in a 45 knt wind!! Completely hands off!

This.

I can load flightplans into the sim via Simbrief so I'm happy no more default flightplanning!

Running i5-9600K @ 4.8ghz - 32GB DDR4 3200mhz - GTX 3070.

Making the story short: the flight model is much better and realistic compared to any PMDG, Aerosoft or FSL plane, but the default planes lack of systems. But there is room for improvements.

I'm missing the PMDG DC6.

Edited by Claudius_

Missing the PMDG DC6 in MSFS 2020 (she's here, but...).

3 hours ago, middiu said:

No one mentioned QW787 but I guess it similar to PMDG or FSLab

The QW 787 is a nice add-on for FSX and P3D (I bought it for both sims), but it's not quite up there with the FSLabs A320's level of complexity.

Edited by Chock

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

3 hours ago, VBHB said:

I can load flightplans into the sim via Simbrief so I'm happy no more default flightplanning!

Really! did not know that, thank you.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

I haven’t used a 3PD aircraft but I’ve seen videos. I wouldn’t say they’re worlds apart, in terms of performance characteristics they’re very similar. In terms of functionality, there is a large distance between them. Real aircraft have A LOT of systems, they’re very complicated to setup and I wouldn’t expect the default sim to have that level of detail unless they really limited the amount of aeroplanes they included. Maybe if we’re lucky they will update them but I very much doubt it.

A lot of the things you will get in a study level aeroplane you won’t actually use, but for many, them just being there is part of the fun.  You can create for yourself scenarios where they are used and in essence do what many would consider role play. they’re not necessary for flight but they offer an experience not provided by the current offering. The default is definitely lacking in some of the features that are used regularly in the cockpit but not necessarily for actual flight.

it’s like the difference between a bog standard £5 phone, with the ability to call, text and save contacts to an address book and a £500 smartphone that has very many features that don’t necessarily contribute to phoning people but all the same offer a better experience.

5 hours ago, SierraHotel said:

This. Don’t listen to the snobs. The default planes are adequate for what they are. The full realism planes will be quite costly (more than the sim itself). That’s fine for those who are into the full realism experience, but the default planes are great if you understand their limitations and what MS is trying to accomplish in bringing flight to the masses. 

• Like 2