Sign in to follow this  
johnk51

Starting GA aircraft

I'm having trouble starting up the GA aircraft.  So far I've used the c152 and c172.  When I set them up and turn the key (like I do in P3D v4.5), the prop turns, but doesn't fire up.  Is there something I have to do in this sim that I didn't have to do in all my passed sims?  I can start it with cntrl+E, but that's just the easy way.

John K

Is the fuel turned on (as in, selector set to a tank and not "off")?  Mixture rich?  Throttle open a little?  Fuel pump on?

I'm just spitballing here, honestly all the times I've flown so far I started with the engine running.

I suggest using the checklist system. (On the pull-down menu at the top of  the screen).  Let it lead you through a few starts from cold and dark. Or you can let the AI perform the checklist for each category and you just watch to see the correct start up.

• Upvote 3

I had this a few times today. For some reason the fuel tanks were empty. Add som fuel via the quick menu in the top and voila! Might work for you as well.

Prime x3 helped me, The checklist works just fine in the C152 been using it all weekend until today when i Started cold without it for the first time #LifeGoals

• Like 1

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

I haven't tried the automated checklist.  Here's what I do.

First, make sure you have fuel.  Check the fuel manager dialog.

Second, turn on the fuel cutoff valve. On the 152 it is between the seats.  On the 172 it is a small red knob above the fuel tank selector.  The tooltip may be of some help.

Third, advance the mixture control to full.  Note that in hot weather or high altitude you may have to back it off a bit to get the engine started.  There may be some weirdness in how MSFS calculates mixture at full rich.  It may help to advance the throttle a small amount as well, retard to idle immediately when the engine starts.

Fourth, turn on battery and alternator switch.  Obviously. 🙂 Double check your fuel gauges.

Fifth, turn the key to start.  If it doesn't start the first time, try again.  If it doesn't start this time, try control-E. 😄 Watch the fuel cutoff valve to see if it moves.

Am I missing anything?  First time I started the 152 I didn't know about the fuel valve.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

I almost guarantee it is the fuel shutoff valve. In the C152 look down between the seats and make sure the valve is in the down position. In the C172, it's the little red knob on the bottom of the center pedestal above the fuel selector value. That should be pushed in/forward. In the G1000 C172, the knob is pretty easy to tell if it is pushed in or not. The steam gauge version, the knob is kinda funky in that visually it sort of goes in and then partially pops back out.

• Like 2

Chris

Forget it - they're Default Aircraft. They don't comply with Checklists and AOP Procedures.

CTRL + E gets them going, then you can start Checklist items.

We'll be busy enough when the add-ons come. . .