Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

The stutters, no matter how powerful your rig is..

1 minute ago, fogboundturtle said:

but mine is clearly bottleneck by my CPU

I am being told it's the GPU. Now wait, a 7700K vs a 2070 Super should tell me like you it's the CPU right? This all makes no sense, in particular when it all worked like a charm a few months ago in the Alpha. 

Hans

1 hour ago, Sesquashtoo said:

Well, W6, I report cause and effect.  On my system, my four core system,  the Main Thread was pegged and the sim was running very badly, not capped.  I capped, and once more went to absolute smoothness of animation.  If others are having problems...it doesn't hurt to try this offered solution at least...

Had such problem when HT was off. Turned HT on, and the problem went away.

• Like 1

Not sure if it helps but I had a smooth experience and changed a few options to see if it had any effect.

I was looking at online settings and decided to turn some off.

Setting AI to offline and I suddenly had a stutter fest.

Put it back to online AI and stutters are gone.

2 hours ago, w6kd said:

Mitch, take a chill pill, you're tilting at windmills again.

I see CPU loads spread pretty evenly across all 10 cores.  No significant stuttering with sim's limiter maxxed at 60, VSync on and hardware refresh rate set to 30 fps.

No NVI, no tweaks, running Ultra at 4K with 452.06 MSFS-optimized drivers on Win 10 v2004.

If there's a MAIN THREAD issue (capitalized, underlined, AND italicized for extra-hypermanic emphasis), it's not apparent.  All 10 cores are plugging along at an average 25% core load.  GPU at 65-85% and around 9GB VRAM in use.

MSFS released with a lot of issues, but in my experience performance is not one of them.  MSFS has been stable and stutter free right out of the box.

Exactly my experience.  I feel for people who feel they are married to high refresh rates.  In a flight sim, I can't relate in the slightest.  Exactly the same behavior in P3D 4.5 and MSFS v1 using the curall for pegged single cores, freedom from stutters, etc etc.   MSFS fabulous performance overall with lots of CPU headroom on the end.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

I don't even know what FPS I'm getting and to be honest I'd rather not know! For me, its smooth enough and looks great. I know as soon as I get into checking what the FPS is it will become an obsession like it did with FSX/P3D and right now I'm just enjoying the experience too much to care!

• Like 2

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S

I have smooth experience by limiting to 32fps in the Nvidia driver settings (3D profile). If I want extra smoothness, I set the screen refresh rate to 32Hz, and go full screen.

Those stutters are nothing more than unequal frame time delivery. Some frames take 15 milliseconds to process, some take 60. Those jumps create inconsistencies in frame delivery and picture wont feel fluid and smooth. If you have less capable hardware and you rev the tits off your CPU, then that is completely expected behavior and happens in every D3D application. It is not a defect of MSFS. In layman's terms, it is called being CPU bound.

Limiting your frame rate limits how much work CPU has to do and if it is not pegged at 100% then pipeline processes frames at even rate and your frame time delivery is consistent and looks smooth.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sesquashtoo said:

Well, W6, I report cause and effect.  On my system, my four core system,  the Main Thread was pegged and the sim was running very badly, not capped.  I capped, and once more went to absolute smoothness of animation.  If others are having problems...it doesn't hurt to try this offered solution at least...

Not trying to get too hyped in case it comes back but you are an absolute legend. Been trying to fix this stuttering since launch, tried everything and now this has worked so far

God bless

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Evros said:

Those stutters are nothing more than unequal frame time delivery. Some frames take 15 milliseconds to process, some take 60. Those jumps create inconsistencies in frame delivery and picture wont feel fluid and smooth. If you have less capable hardware and you rev the tits off your CPU, then that is completely expected behavior and happens in every D3D application. It is not a defect of MSFS. In layman's terms, it is called being CPU bound.

Limiting your frame rate limits how much work CPU has to do and if it is not pegged at 100% then pipeline processes frames at even rate and your frame time delivery is consistent and looks smooth.

Sound's good.  Yeah..I capped my MSFS to 31, and all is good.  I also just increased my 8GB (default) rolling cache to 300GB's...haven't flown with that amount yet...but here's a toast to that helping out along the way... 🙂

4 minutes ago, Wesley_Snipez064 said:

Not trying to get too hyped in case it comes back but you are an absolute legend. Been trying to fix this stuttering since launch, tried everything and now this has worked so far

God bless

You are MOST welcome.  How I post...isn't from the attitude ever, of a poo-bah, know it all...I post when I have a negative performance, and then by doing something, I get a 180 degree turn around.  I figure...if blah, blah, blah worked for me, perhaps by posting...it might work for somebody else with a similar negative performance.  I'm glad that I posted now...for as you say...your experience has 180 degree improved!  Happy flights!  We are a community..and that is the power of such...cheers!

On my system, as I guess now yours...this (my thread suggestion of action )gives me absolutely no stutter...just smooth animation...so,  who cares at what FPS it happens...only that my animation  suspends disbelief...and that is the ticket...over such believable scenery.

On 8/23/2020 at 7:24 PM, Sesquashtoo said:

The reason that so many people are frustrated with lousy FPS,  bad stutter..with state of the Art innards...is this:

(and even on my modest system) is that there definitely is a bug in the sim engine that has the MAIN THREAD pegged at overload.  If you have unlimited FPS (not locked down by an external app such as the nVidia Control App...,  you will indeed have stutter and if you run the internal FPS meter...it will show a constant RED  LIMITED BY THE MAIN THREAD.  This is an engine bug, that is not using (when there is no limiter) all your cores, equally. 

Now, I suggest you try this...go into your nVidia control app, and set the FPS lock to 30 FPS...for a reason...never mind that you might not want to run with that...this is an experiment---->and then set vsync to 1/2 Adaptive, press APPLY and then go fly.   Make sure you have the in house FPS meter running, and you will now see that any LIMITATION could be showing as the Main THREAD, the CPU, or ...the GPU.  But...I'll bet dollars to donuts, that your stutter...no matter how minimal or beefy your system is...will be gone. You will have smooth animation, even at a locked 30 FPS ceiling.  Try that...and see if YOUR FPS meter now shows any of three possible bottlenecks and not the RED MAIN THREAD..pegged solid.  Try that...and make your decisions on that basis.  I was getting near 50 FPS not locked down...and I had terrible stop and start stutter...really bad sim performance...load times...switching between screens..etc. As soon as I dropped out of MSFS,  re-set my two locks...FPS at 31, and vSync mode to 1/2 adaptive...I once more went to dead smooth animation...no stutter...fast switching between different aspects of the sim....and my FPS meter showed me that there was at any time, a bottleneck from any of the Main Thread, CPU, or GPU...but did not affect smooth animation performance. That was ONLY when I had no external limiter holding the FPS to a ceiling of 31.   FYI!

Hello thank you, you put me on the track because I had a lot of jerks and few fps. I did what you told me but I activated the "adaptif" option.

I arrived with an overclocked GTX 1080, an i7 6700 @ 4.5 GHZ, 16 go Ram, I can run at 30 fps constant. except when approaching large cities and detailed airports where it oscillates between 25-30 fps with a resolution of 2880x1620 !!! 🙂

With these settings, Flight simulator 2020 in ultra with some high settings and air traffic activated, see my settings captures  
Thanks a lot for your info 🙂 , it allowed me to work on my graphic card for Flight Simulator 2020 ❤️

PS: The driver Nvidia 452.06 has a new function in windows 10, I had to activate it.

Pilot Nvidia 452.06
- Activated in the Nvidia driver, max 30 IPS
- Enabled synchronization mode: "Adaptive" and NOT adaptative!

- Flight simulator 2020
- Do not enable synchronization in the simulation!!!

Windows 10
- Enabled GPU scheduling that appears with the latest Nvidia 452.06 driver Nvidia has certainly seen a problem with the use of their cards and resources in MSF 2020, that is to say ..., I will say no more.

With a card lower than the GTX 1080, just lower the rendering scale! Tip: Fine-tune your settings only in flight simulator 2020, but more in W10 or Nvidia.

This solution, if it works on your PC and makes this simulator much better in performance, well thanks for a return, have a good flight!

Optimisation_MFS_2020_gtx_1080_Hubi_The_

On 8/23/2020 at 2:49 PM, Ianrivaldosmith said:

Here is a tip for those running ultra settings and getting stuttering. Change terrain level of detail to 100 and object level of detail to 100. Leave everything else at ultra. Smooths it right out. 

++++This 100%.

Terrain LOD and Object LOD sliders set out how far away from your plane the system transitions from low level of detail textures, mesh, and objects, to higher detailed textures, mesh and objects.  The CPU has to calculate that higher level of detail before it sends it to the GPU.  

The higher the setting the more of it needs to be processed. 

It's easier to picture if you think about the number as a radius from your plane.  At 10, let's say the radius is 10Km.  That means LOD terrain and textures start popping in 10 KM from your plane.  Now set that to 200 and think about how much MORE scenery information needs to be processed.  10 provides the best performance, but you get some serious object pop in close to the plane and some pretty significant mesh tearing artifacts.

My i5 gets very CPU locked.  So much so, that I usually have to wait about 30 to 45 Seconds after my plane renders on the runway before I begin takeoff.  Depending on the area, all that scenery is still being crunched by my CPU.  Once I can look around my cockpit in 360 degrees with no stuttering, I can take off and everything's awesome.

In flight, if I have them set too high, then my CPU again pauses as it has to bring in that large arc of textures in.  If you are willing to put up with some object pop in and some minor mesh tearing, you can take an almost minimum spec system and use Ultra as long as you keep the Sliders between 25 and 50.  Which is more than acceptable to me.  

• Like 1

I had terrible stutters and low fps on my system when running with unlimited frames. Using the nvidia control panel I wasn't able to limit my fps, so I went with Rivatuner and set frames to 31. My sim suddenly got all smooth and held 30-31 fps very much the entire test flight of about 80nm in a 208b. I think that was the first time in the sim it really felt smooth. 

Unlimiting my frames would make my cpu go to 100% alot of the time. Now it sits constantly at 62%. 

• Like 1

Andreas Stangenes

http://www.youtube.com/user/krsans78
Add me on gamertag: Bullhorns78

On 8/23/2020 at 2:24 PM, Sesquashtoo said:

The reason that so many people are frustrated with lousy FPS,  bad stutter..with state of the Art innards...is this:

(and even on my modest system) is that there definitely is a bug in the sim engine that has the MAIN THREAD pegged at overload.  If you have unlimited FPS (not locked down by an external app such as the nVidia Control App...,  you will indeed have stutter and if you run the internal FPS meter...it will show a constant RED  LIMITED BY THE MAIN THREAD.  This is an engine bug, that is not using (when there is no limiter) all your cores, equally. 

Now, I suggest you try this...go into your nVidia control app, and set the FPS lock to 30 FPS...for a reason...never mind that you might not want to run with that...this is an experiment---->and then set vsync to 1/2 Adaptive, press APPLY and then go fly.   Make sure you have the in house FPS meter running, and you will now see that any LIMITATION could be showing as the Main THREAD, the CPU, or ...the GPU.  But...I'll bet dollars to donuts, that your stutter...no matter how minimal or beefy your system is...will be gone. You will have smooth animation, even at a locked 30 FPS ceiling.  Try that...and see if YOUR FPS meter now shows any of three possible bottlenecks and not the RED MAIN THREAD..pegged solid.  Try that...and make your decisions on that basis.  I was getting near 50 FPS not locked down...and I had terrible stop and start stutter...really bad sim performance...load times...switching between screens..etc. As soon as I dropped out of MSFS,  re-set my two locks...FPS at 31, and vSync mode to 1/2 adaptive...I once more went to dead smooth animation...no stutter...fast switching between different aspects of the sim....and my FPS meter showed me that there was at any time, a bottleneck from any of the Main Thread, CPU, or GPU...but did not affect smooth animation performance. That was ONLY when I had no external limiter holding the FPS to a ceiling of 31.   FYI!

Well, I tried it and it seems to be working. I have a i7-4790K and all cores are woirking at 100%. Capped as said above, and now while I still have some stutters, I don't have major stutters as before. I use TrackIR and have a lot of stalls and stutters if I move my head too quickly. Now, not so much. I'll continue further testing. At least now I don't have the dreaded "Limited by mains Thread" sign always red as before.