Sign in to follow this  
cepact

Impressions from a long time MSFS(Aces) developer

25 minutes ago, bean_sprout said:

Everyone has opinions except this one came across as semi-official which could incite a few hard simmers.  Here again we need to sharpen our Troll Detection skills.  

Cheers

bs

Not all of us were trolling to be frank, some of us just frustrated with certain areas. There are some really bad bugs in certain airports, it just so happened the first 3-4 airports I took off from where some of the lesser quality airports. Some of us also had weird bugs like our planes flipping out right after take off, or the planes flipping upside down. However, I think some of it was we got too random in our controller experimentation.

Also, the scenery looked really over-exposed and bad until I figured out how much an improvement adding a cloud layer could be to the contrast of the ground textures. So now I mostly fly with only clouds added, and I avoid certain airports.

So it takes some teething, but I'm started to see it's potential. Also, some of us are just fearful more than "certain" that the SDK may be prematurely abandoned, but let us all hope not.

At least for me, those were my main issues. Once ironed out, I no doubt agree with the others, the other sims are in trouble, maybe even dead. However, there is some stuff that still needs to happen for that to come true, and XP11 will always be around just like that annoying little brother.

• Like 2

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

I'm a geezer so the constant drone of displeasure while valid tends to wear me out.  Most of it needs to go to ZenDesk.

I've worked at helpdesks as second level support and get all the chatter.

bs

Edited by bean_sprout
  • Like 3

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

@jmig really great reply there. I totally agree with all you said (I dont even own the sim yet!). I have nowhere near your experience but I do have a PPL (IMC) single engine and multi engine (VFR) so I can second your comment about seat-of-the-pants flying. I'd add peripheral vision to that too...another thing we miss out on looking at the world through a narrow slit (monitor).

2k or 4K VR in the future will be the closest we can come to it...

For those that keep banging the drum about ‘as a VFR sim it’s fine as a glass cockpit IFR sim it’s not fine’ nonsense. - unless you were living under rocks for the months running up to the release I think it was pretty evident that the airliners were never going to be Tier 1 aircraft. The initial focus was VFR with an SDK to follow for developers to ready their aircraft (PMDG and the like) 

But more to the point, just because the aircraft (be it the Airbus or other of the glass jets,) are Carenado level avionics models , is not an indictment of the sim being  a bad IFR sim.   It simply means that the complex aircraft included are not well enough modelled to be fully IFR capable.  There is a big difference in those statements 

Might  I suggest that anyone making those comments spawns one of the P3Dv5 or XP default complex modelled aircraft with  a G1000  and does the same test.  .  Oh yes, there aren’t really any suitable aircraft there either.  So what is the point of all the drama.  Just wait it out and use currently available third party aircraft on your other sims . 

Yes, there is a lot to be improved. That has been acknowledged many times over.  We are only one week in. Give it a break 

Edited by ErichB
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, ThrottleUp said:

...... I'd add peripheral vision to that too...another thing we miss out on looking at the world through a narrow slit (monitor).

2k or 4K VR in the future will be the closest we can come to it...

Isn't that what Track IR is for?

Just now, ErichB said:

Might  I suggest that anyone making those comments spawns one of the P3Dv5 or XP default complex modelled aircraft with  a G1000  and does the same test.

I did. P3D and Xplane Much more accurate capturing the flight path and or ILS approach lateral and verticle.

1 hour ago, bean_sprout said:

I'm a geezer so the constant drone of displeasure while valid tends to wear me out.  Most of it needs to go to ZenDesk.

bs

Amen, brother. I could put up with it if I just knew it was accompanied by a bug report.

Maybe we could set that as a stock response to any drone.

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

3 minutes ago, stewartforgie said:

Isn't that what Track IR is for?

Unless Im mistaken TIR is still restricted to the monitors. Its not VR. You wear head mounted gear which are detected by sensors sitting on top of the monitor. I agree that its a vast improvement on a joystick hat switch or a mouse for sure!

I dont know how GOOD peripheral vision simulation is even in VR (well, home use VR) but its all we can have sitting in a chair at home playing pretend pilot 😃

VR is so much more then TrackIR once you try it and look around your environment with decent perspective its hard to explain just how inadequate a monitor and Track IR is.  But man its a demand on any hardware it will be a while before I feel like I can enjoy MSFS in VR at the performance needed. But tried it in X-plane and you can see how its a game changer.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Adrian123 said:

I did. P3D and Xplane Much more accurate capturing the flight path and or ILS approach lateral and verticle.

I've had similar issues in this game, and I'm not a real pilot that keeps track of all the exact numbers and SIDS or as dedicated as some in here, so I'm not as confident in my ability to "call out" the potentially broken ILS as some are. That said, I haven't messed with it much, but another thing that is really messed up right now is the default ATC. They are like a nagging wife, only worse, make sure you fly over level ground or they'll give you a new altitude every 5 seconds.

However, the experience you get in some planes as the light shines through the clouds and bounces off the water just perfectly can be mesmerizing, and VFR is often mesmerizing, especially when you get the lighting correct.

Edited by SceneryFX
  • Like 1

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

disappointed

On 8/26/2020 at 7:47 AM, cepact said:

Thanks @cepact I liked your frank review. I agree some of the system modelling could be better, and there's no excuse for the of the strange behaviour of the autopilot and some aspects of the flight model. Many things are akin to an early access release.

However the difference is I'm at all dissapointed. Many forget Asobo are on a learning curve as well I believe the system modelling in default aircraft will improve, but are you really heart on heart comparing default aircraft to previous default aircraft and still let down? Asobo have had so much to do in such a small amount of time, the platform, the SDK - how far have X-Plane and Aerofly FS come in the last few years? Just over 12 months ago MFS wasn't even a thing fpr most people.

Also you maybe forgetting the things which has probably skued your judement in the first place and thats the influance of 3rd party developers on past sims and they will do again on MSFS. Already there are updates to the A320 which builds on the existing systems and adds a few more to make this plane more realistic (I've included this below but its early days).

Suddenly the future in flight simming is bright again, this will have a positve effect I'm sure on the competing sims so this has to be a win win for everybody. We may not have all our wishes on day one but we've come so far this journey is only going to get more exciting and for that reason alone you have to be onboard.

https://github.com/wpine215/msfs-a320neo

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Der Zeitgeist said:

Come on, that's just silly.

They could have easily done something at least as nice as XP (ability to load approaches/SIDS/stars and ability to update the data)...and then slapped the same avionics in most of the default aircraft (which they did).  

Oh yay I can tune a VOR in the Citation Longitude!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I'm a big fan of the eventually updated FSX but I remember the years of endlessly tweaking the FSX.cfg file in order to get things to run better.  Wasn't it some time before we got the "HIGHMEMFIX=1" tweak that turned things around?  Also, wasn't it the "NvidiaProfile/Inspector" tool (for Nvidia users) that also turned things around?  

MSFS isn't perfect out of the box but its definitely better than FSX was, out of the gate.  It took me several years before I could not only upgrade hardware but tweak FSX to the point that it was enjoyable.  I don't have that problem with the current MSFS release (thank goodness) and I've got years old hardware.  

Alexander Alonso

18 hours ago, dtrjones said:

disappointed

Thanks @cepact I liked your frank review. 

this is not my review, I just found it and shared it

13 hours ago, FlyAndFight said:

Also, wasn't it the "NvidiaProfile/Inspector" tool (for Nvidia users) that also turned things around?  

Yes, and using this tool and enabling the relevant settings was very quick. In 2 minutes its all done and you never need to touch the FSX.cfg ever again. The blurries just VANISHED after I used this tool and I was stunned.

The previous fixes sounded like absolute torture, Im glad I never followed them. I remember an immense post on one of the other forums that involved cleaning out Windows, uninstalling FSX, cleaning out Registry, reinstall FSX and then a whole bunch of restarts and cleans and adding lines to the fsx.cfg. Nope!