Sign in to follow this  
Moria15

Thanks MS, you have saved my sanity :)

Hi Graham

What a thoughtful gift from your wife, and I wish you many happy hours of flying.

The computer, and playing music, has saved my sanity too. I lost my wife 6 months ago, and after 57 years together I needed something to keep my mind fully occupied, particularly with the  Covid-19 "house arrest" restrictions. I therefore bought myself a  super digital piano and a high spec pc. a couple of months ago.

After playing "Come Fly With Me" and "Fly Me To The Moon" on the piano, I then set up Prepar3D or MS2020 on the computer and fly for an hour. So far I haven't been as successful with MS2020 flights as I have with P3D, but that is due mainly to problem with setting up peripherals . A huge improvement from the days of MS Flight Simulator 2000.

I'm a few months short of 80 now, but enjoying "Boys Toys". However I do envy your computer skills.

I hope your health issues improve.

Kind regards

Andy🙂

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

andy a

Wonderful surprise from your wife!  Wow!  Please tell her not to disturb you while you're landing....!  For some reason, my wife always comes into my office when I'm just ready to land.  You can imagine what happens sometimes.

Stay young.

Stan

• Like 2

Thrilled to ready your story, Graham.  No one in the world can debate you about your personal experience, and I am very encouraged to hear it.  Flight simulation is many different things to many different people, but clearly for you, it is exactly what you needed.  Who wouldn't celebrate that right along with you.  Blue skies, my friend!

• Like 1

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

I agree with you Graham and Im glad you were able to find again a joy in your life.  I'm certainly enjoying the sim and looking forward to the improvements and fixes that I know will come in all good time.

• Like 1

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

Thank you for sharing your story. It is refreshing to see the simulator providing you with so much enjoyment, especially in these terrible times. Your wife is an amazing person.

• Like 1

Thank you all for your wonderful comments and support, and yes, I will make sure my wife gets some special days as well 🙂

Enjoy flying no matter what.

I will be around on AVSIM or the forsseable, so stay strong and as the Grand Dame said..     "We'll meet again"  🙂

Graham

Edited by Moria15
  • Like 5

System specs...   CPU AMD5950,  GPU AMD6900XT,  ROG crosshair VIII Hero motherboard, Corsair 64 gig LPX 3600 mem, Air cooling on GPU,   Kraken x pump cooling on CPU.  Samsung G7 curved 27" monitor at 2k resolution ULTRA default settings.

1 hour ago, spilok said:

Wonderful surprise from your wife!  Wow!  Please tell her not to disturb you while you're landing....!  For some reason, my wife always comes into my office when I'm just ready to land.  You can imagine what happens sometimes.

Stay young.

Stan

Same with me... Lol 😃

• Like 2

Ken

Wonderful story, Graham - thank you for sharing, sir! 🍻

• Like 2

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Great story Graham. I myself will be 70 in December and I am also loving this sim. I suffered a stroke nearly two years ago so don't do as much as I used to, but this sim gives me great enjoyment and just allows me to forget the trials and tribulations of everyday life and just relax.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, spilok said:

For some reason, my wife always comes into my office when I'm just ready to land.  You can imagine what happens sometimes.

14 minutes ago, BaronKen said:

Same with me... Lol 😃

Yep it seems to be a common complaint.

My wife will often come into my office when I’m on the sim and just launch into a tirade of trivia.
I point out to her that as a real life cabin crew manager she has been trained to enter a flight deck and then wait to be acknowledged before speaking, in case the pilots are busy.

Needless to say that’s counter productive and only leads to yet another blast of hot air !

We used to fly together sometimes in the real world , which was much better as I’d (jokingly) just point a finger at her whenever  she came into the flight deck , and she was powerless to complain.......she always got her own back when we got home though 

• Like 6

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

2 hours ago, spilok said:

For some reason, my wife always comes into my office when I'm just ready to land.  You can imagine what happens sometimes.

Same here! It's like clockwork!! My computer is in the TV room and she'll sit there not saying a word for an hour, then start to talk when I'm 50 feet above the runway!!

Russ

• Like 3

Master Sergeant, U.S. Air Force, Retired

Former T-33A Crew Chief

Former B-1B Crew Chief / Flightline Maintenance Expediter

Former Learjet Corp. Quality Inspector

Formerly Young (😩)