Sign in to follow this  
namelessmonster

Icing effect not affecting aerodynamics

The visualization for the icing looks great in MSFS2020; However I didn't notice a single difference in the way the plane flies with anti-icing protection off. This isn't realistic in my opinion.

I had weather at the lowest possible temperature and other conditions that should overwhelm the control surfaces within a few minutes yet no difficulty flying with ice whatsoever. 

Have you observed similar results?

• Like 2

I flew around Tierra Del Fuego yesterday in the 172 and after icing built up I ended up losing speed and maneuverability and flying into the side of a mountain. 

Edited by Tektolnes
  • Like 6

I was iced up in the TBM forgot to put pitot heat on and lost airspeed and altitude indicators. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AKMGuru said:

I was iced up in the TBM forgot to put pitot heat on and lost airspeed and altitude indicators. 

I noticed that the indicators will be affected. But so far I haven't noticed any loss of airspeed or altitude. I'm going to try it again and record a short demo

What airplane you are flying? Most airplanes I tried in 172, Caurbon Cub, Caravan, Baron all affected by icing 

• Like 3

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

13 minutes ago, namelessmonster said:

The visualization for the icing looks great in MSFS2020; However I didn't notice a single difference in the way the plane flies with anti-icing protection off. This isn't realistic in my opinion.

I had weather at the lowest possible temperature and other conditions that should overwhelm the control surfaces within a few minutes yet no difficulty flying with ice whatsoever. 

Have you observed similar results?

You have to change the ICING EFFECT from VISUAL ONLY to ON (ASSISTANCE, FAILURE & DAMAGE).

• Like 4

I do believe there is a setting to allow ice to effect aerodynamics, I’m not on the sim at the moment so can’t say exactly where but its somewhere in the Assistance section and it was set off on my setup when I noticed it. Hope this helps, ah there you go, see above for location.

Edited by sharky44

22 minutes ago, PuffeB said:

You have to change the ICING EFFECT from VISUAL ONLY to ON (ASSISTANCE, FAILURE & DAMAGE).

Hmmm...It was set to on when I checked just now. The description claims it does affect flight. I am looking closer at it

• Like 1

Well I was flying with the conditions in the Picture below for 30 minutes in an Icon A5 and nothing happened except visual icing. I noticed no adverse affect on the aircraft or engine whatsoever. And I double checked to ensure that in "Assistance" that Icing Effect was set to "On".

The screenshots below show the conditions I was flying in for 30 minutes along with what the Aircraft looked like from inside and outside of the cockpit. Again, there was no noticeable physical affect on the aircraft however, which was disappointing to me as I was hoping to experience the realism described by some of the other members who claim to have noticed these affects. 

QUoCV9D.png

JGENH8p.png (1920×1080)

JHDP7Nl.png

som2qmG.png

Carenado Cessna 182T definitely gets affected by icing conditions, it quite severely affects the way it flies.

• Like 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

1 minute ago, Chock said:

it quite severely affects the way it flies.

That's actually from their flight model.  🤣  Sorry....simply could not resist!

6 minutes ago, namelessmonster said:

Icon A5 and nothing happened except visual icing. I noticed no adverse affect on the aircraft or engine whatsoever

Just spit-balling here....but I wonder if the actual aerodynamic effects are model per aircraft, and the A5 has not gotten that attention yet? (I know for a fact the TBM reacts quite adversely to icing, as it should).

Maybe some of our intrepid modder's will do their magic in the future if MS/AS does not get to it.

I know a modder who's actually created a mod I've always wanted in my aircraft...an onboard espresso machine! 🤣  I would give you the modder's name and website but I'm under an NDA, and he's currently locked in battle with Folger's and Maxwell House regarding the marketing rights.) 😁

• Like 1

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

9 minutes ago, Chock said:

Carenado Cessna 182T definitely gets affected by icing conditions, it quite severely affects the way it flies.

is it worth a purchase from your POV?

EASA PPL SEPL ( NQ , EFIS, Variable Pitch, SLPC, Retractable undercarriage)
B23 / PA32R / PA28 / DA40 / C172S 

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |

9 minutes ago, Chock said:

True. Isn't there a setting which still allows icing to be visible but to not affect performance?

• Like 1

172 get effected by for sure.. I may have or have not crashed due to it

Edited by SirDan
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Steve Dra said:

I know a modder who's actually created a mod I've always wanted in my aircraft...an onboard espresso machine! 🤣  I would give you the modder's name and website but I'm under an NDA, and he's currently locked in battle with Folger's and Maxwell House regarding the marketing rights.) 😁

Nice lol. That's actually pretty cool 

But I did try the other Aircrafts btw such as the Cessna 172 with the same result. At least for me, I don't notice anything adverse when flying with Ice Effect "On". I even switched it to "Visual Only" to see if the Boolean got swapped somehow in a software bug but that didn't affect anything either