Sign in to follow this  
David Roch

Absolutely gorgeous: FSDT's upcoming KORD

Umberto, you're a good man. Thank you.

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

12 hours ago, Alex.C said:

The work we did at the time for KORD only with the new FS stands out properly, for those interested here is a little behind the scenes on how I create the right materials for MSFS.

https://simultech.ch/?p=265

Alessandro.

Just brilliant.
Congrats Alessandro, your work is outstanding.

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

I live just two miles from ORD, almost directly on final for 22R, and Ive flown out of there a lot.  This looks amazing.  I spend most of my sim time flying small planes into airfields that are often little more than a grassy spot in some trees, but this is the sort of thing I'd buy and fly a tubeliner to just to experience it.

I'd also like to commend the devs for their attitude here.  They are justifiably proud of their product, and willing to defend it, but do so without excessive hostility or arrogance.  This is a pleasant change from some other developers we run across in the community from time to time, and only makes me more likely to buy their stuff.  More of their stuff.  I already own a couple FSDT products just because they're so good.

That said, if I'm to make one tiny bit of well-intended criticism, it's that the worn textures on the jetways just don't fully work for me.  I've watched the video a few times trying to isolate why, and I think it's just that they're too good, too uniform.  The overall look is as if someone took sandpaper and worked it gently over most of the edges.  I think to look more realistic it should be more uneven, some spots of greater density, some less.  It needs some long scrapes not on the edges, perhaps smears of other color or of rubber from where various things have collided with or worn against it, things like that.  Right now it has that "perfectly flawed" look that often makes "shabby chic" look so cliche.  Paradoxically, I'd like to see it looking worse.

I realize that's the equivalent of complaining that the shadowing on God's finger on the Sistine Chapel ceiling isn't quite right, and it's truly meant in the spirit of "this amazing thing could be even amazinger", for what it's worth. I'm still going to buy it.

Edited by kaosfere

16 hours ago, virtuali said:

Here's a short video I just made, showing Parallax Interior Mapping in KORD for Terminal B ( Terminal C interior is really modeled 😞

Would you believe there are no polygons behind those windows ? It's a bit like magic, and it's done by a specific shader material that is new to MSFS, and we were able to reduce the overall number of polygons thanks to this technique.

Good God that's Amazing!!!!

Now Please do KFLL and PHNL next!!!

Chris Camp

22 hours ago, GSalden said:

Curious how performance will be once payware airliners like PMDG/FsLabs are being released + 100+ AI jetliner aircraft at/near the airport in bad weather ...

Probably no worse than P3D when the same sceneries are added with 100+ AI Jetliner AC in bad weather!

P3D runs like a Pig for me at any Payware AP regardless of the optimizations even without a ton of AI AC and bad weather!

Edited by Kilo60
  • Like 1

Chris Camp

They really should wash their windows..:)

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

21 hours ago, n4gix said:

There is one heck of a difference between scenery and aircraft!  All of the tools for scenery are pretty much finalized.

Tools for aircraft not so much yet, especially the gauge and systems stuff.

Curious what this month will bring in SDK updates...

As for KORD looks like great stuff 🙂

Edited by awf

André

17 hours ago, virtuali said:

Sure, no. That's why I said "we are also doing the final tests on our own installer". Where to buy it will be entirely your choice, and it will will be sold on Simmarket as well.

And yes, there will be a discount for existing KORD V2 for P3D owners. Those that bought KORD V2 from our site will get a discount from our site, those that bought it on Simmarket will get it from Simmarket.

Its great that you are offering it at multiple stores!

Fantastic work overall Umberto!   I love the explanations of the new coding in MSFS, and how it seems to finally be working with you than against you, as just about every previous flightsim version did.

I just have 3 letters for you: DFW 😉

• Like 2

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

I'm all for realistic dirt in crevices and wear on painted surfaces but there should be a good reason for it. For example, the jetways look like the paint was ground off the corners of the jetway vertical edges. I looked at some pictures and real world ones don't have that wear. 3D artists should be asking themselves 'Why' each time they put wear on a surface.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, riveter said:

I looked at some pictures and real world ones don't have that wear.

O'Hare:

https://www.dreamstime.com/editorial-image-chicago-o-hare-international-airport-il-march-passenger-jet-aircraft-located-image95366930

This has even rust on it, so it's even more wore out than ours. Last time I took at picture of a jetway ( at KMCO ), it was even more rusted than this one.

Obviously, not all jetways at any airport, and especially one that has so many, are in the exact state of maintenance. We had to find some middle ground that wouldn't look too clean, but not also too rusted.

Same, exact, identical issue about ground vehicles. Some are fairly new, some seems to have been rescued from the bottom of the ocean, at the same airport.

Do you *really* think we haven't thought about all of this ?

Edited by virtuali
  • Like 2

On 9/1/2020 at 7:31 PM, n4gix said:

There is one heck of a difference between scenery and aircraft!  All of the tools for scenery are pretty much finalized.

Tools for aircraft not so much yet, especially the gauge and systems stuff.

Would it be possible to build such system from scratch and the problem is more the porting of existing code, or is it plain impossible as of yet?

I mean the default A320 is not a good example for complexity, but it does featuer a lot of components we see in complex airliners, so it must be possible somehow?

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

43 minutes ago, tweekz said:

I mean the default A320 is not a good example for complexity, but it does featuer a lot of components we see in complex airliners, so it must be possible somehow?

I think the main problem is lack of a proper documentation of the new systems. Most of SDK docs related to aircraft are discussing modeling and materials, and when gauges are concerned, almost all the documentation seems to be geared towards somebody trying to port his existing C++ and GDI+ code to the new Webassembly system.

However, the default airplanes don't use it, they use a completely new system based on Html/CSS, with Javascript calling CoherentGT for graphic ( the digital gauges, at least ), and the chapters on the SDK that are supposed to explain it, are listed as "TO DO". Sure, some things can be figured out by looking at the Javascript code, and in fact some people already fixed issues with some default airplanes but, it's unnecessary long and it's a waste of time for somebody wanting to start from scratch a new airplane, using only the new methods.

Edited by virtuali
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, virtuali said:

O'Hare:

https://www.dreamstime.com/editorial-image-chicago-o-hare-international-airport-il-march-passenger-jet-aircraft-located-image95366930

This has even rust on it, so it's even more wore out than ours. Last time I took at picture of a jetway ( at KMCO ), it was even more rusted than this one.

Obviously, not all jetways at any airport, and especially one that has so many, are in the exact state of maintenance. We had to find some middle ground that wouldn't look too clean, but not also too rusted.

Same, exact, identical issue about ground vehicles. Some are fairly new, some seems to have been rescued from the bottom of the ocean, at the same airport.

Do you *really* think we haven't thought about all of this ?

It is beautiful work anyway.