Sign in to follow this  
Greazer

Community Driven UI Remake

My only complaint with the UI is the aircraft selection page. Need to make this more condensed so that we can see more than 2 airplanes at a time and avoid scrolling forever to get to the plane we want.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, FlyingInACessna said:

My only complaint with the UI is the aircraft selection page. Need to make this more condensed so that we can see more than 2 airplanes at a time and avoid scrolling forever to get to the plane we want.

Being able to "favorite" airplanes would be great as well.  Then you could filter on favorites.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Stuff I like about the UI:

1. It’s pretty

2. Flight Setup screen with globe is cool (and pretty)

3. Tooltips info in the right pane of the settings menu is handy and (somewhat) informative and accurate.

What I dislike about the UI:

1. Performance Hog/Slow

2. Click to play screen

3. Lack of true data for understanding what graphics options actually do (beyond the obvious of AA or AF). Ultra/High/Medium means nothing to me.

4. Controls setup is a nightmare and needs to be streamlined or have a streamlined option (like a DCS like controls setup spreadsheet for us multiple peripheral users). I understand this is a console and TV friendly setup, but it’s not uncommon to have PC centric controls setup screens in PC ports of console titles.

5. Cockpit tooltips are HUGE. I again understand this is for the flying from the couch crowd but we should be able to make them smaller for those of us on PC.

6. Lack of context menus (right-click menu for you young’ns), and lack of menu at the top to change aircraft, location, etc. Having to drop all the way back to the main menu to change some options is a bear for those of us testing aircraft, scenery, etc.

Really, if I had my way, they would replace the entire UI with the streamlined and well-groomed options UI from P3D but include a flight setup / planning tool like what MSFS2020 has.

Philip Manhart  :American Flag:

13.jpg

- "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Plato

The UI is okay and like it or not, the "Tablet" way of presenting menus is probably with us for good.

There are far more pressing issues that need to be put on the main burner for attention.

Its very easy to mod the UI. You could change the aircraft selection screen to make the tiles smaller pretty quickly or make certain tabs smaller. Even changing the fonts is straight forward.

39 minutes ago, pmanhart said:

Stuff I like about the UI:

1. It’s pretty

2. Flight Setup screen with globe is cool (and pretty)

3. Tooltips info in the right pane of the settings menu is handy and (somewhat) informative and accurate.

What I dislike about the UI:

1. Performance Hog/Slow

2. Click to play screen

3. Lack of true data for understanding what graphics options actually do (beyond the obvious of AA or AF). Ultra/High/Medium means nothing to me.

4. Controls setup is a nightmare and needs to be streamlined or have a streamlined option (like a DCS like controls setup spreadsheet for us multiple peripheral users). I understand this is a console and TV friendly setup, but it’s not uncommon to have PC centric controls setup screens in PC ports of console titles.

5. Cockpit tooltips are HUGE. I again understand this is for the flying from the couch crowd but we should be able to make them smaller for those of us on PC.

6. Lack of context menus (right-click menu for you young’ns), and lack of menu at the top to change aircraft, location, etc. Having to drop all the way back to the main menu to change some options is a bear for those of us testing aircraft, scenery, etc.

Really, if I had my way, they would replace the entire UI with the streamlined and well-groomed options UI from P3D but include a flight setup / planning tool like what MSFS2020 has.

1)  Microsoft have already said they are looking at this to speed up loading.

2) Microsoft have already said they are looking at removing this as part of 1)

3) Yeah kinda agree but following the tooltips helps somewhat,  The sheer complexity of the options shows how much potential is behind the scenes 🙂

4) I know a lot of people have had issues with this, for me it was pretty basic and certainly better than reprogramming a lot of other software out there.

5) These can be reduced by setting a smaller minimum font, or I believe there is now a user mod that removes them completely.

6) Set developer mode on..  changing plane and location are available there.

As to the origional post..  I like the UI.. lets concentrate on getting some of the sim functionality sorted first 🙂

Graham

• Like 1

System specs...   CPU AMD5950,  GPU AMD6900XT,  ROG crosshair VIII Hero motherboard, Corsair 64 gig LPX 3600 mem, Air cooling on GPU,   Kraken x pump cooling on CPU.  Samsung G7 curved 27" monitor at 2k resolution ULTRA default settings.

The UI is efficient. All we need is access to the „globe screen“ during flight to change aircraft or location quickly.

• Upvote 1

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

19 minutes ago, Moria15 said:

1)  Microsoft have already said they are looking at this to speed up loading.

2) Microsoft have already said they are looking at removing this as part of 1)

3) Yeah kinda agree but following the tooltips helps somewhat,  The sheer complexity of the options shows how much potential is behind the scenes 🙂

4) I know a lot of people have had issues with this, for me it was pretty basic and certainly better than reprogramming a lot of other software out there.

5) These can be reduced by setting a smaller minimum font, or I believe there is now a user mod that removes them completely.

6) Set developer mode on..  changing plane and location are available there.

As to the origional post..  I like the UI.. lets concentrate on getting some of the sim functionality sorted first 🙂

Graham

1-3: Thank goodness.

4: Really, for a supposed “simulator” the UI for controls is atrocious and I cannot wait for FSUIPC to be out of beta so I can ignore it completely. The implementation in this iteration is such a step back from what P3D or even FSX provides that it leaves me scratching my head for why people cheer on reduced capability.

5: Font size is at minimum, and they are still huge.

6: I can’t change to a specific parking spot with the developer options, nor can I hide the developer menu.

I guess my biggest complaint is the loss of functionality and ease of use. Like I said in my previous post, I understand that the UI is designed for the couch controller users, but if you knew that a large portion of your users would be using a PC with a mouse and keyboard why not include something more PC friendly?

Philip Manhart  :American Flag:

13.jpg

- "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Plato

I like the UI, only thing I would do is improve the resolution of the world map. Maybe incorporate Bing maps here, as it is it gets very blurry when you zoom in making it difficult to tell where exactly you are.

Edited by SW-14
  • Like 1

I didn't like the new UI to start with as it was so different.

A few weeks in, and I am loving it. 

Being able to change the weather and time of day on the fly, and the graphics settings within seconds, and then get straight back into the sim is a major plus point in my view. 👍  It's really slick.

Like some have said, we just need a few more options added so we can customise it just as we want.

• Like 1

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

I like the overall design of the UI. But there are things that I would like to see added, fixed, and improved such as:

1. The ability to mark planes as favorites
  2. Turn off the background rendering in the menus, which is a taking up valuable resources
  3. Make the aircraft list vertical instead of horizontal, like in P3D, this way it will be easier to scroll through. Will help when more addon planes become available.
  4. Allow us to create presets for our graphic settings like in FSX/P3D
  5. Bring back the in-game menu bar and the contextual right-click menu like in FSX/P3D
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU