Sign in to follow this  
MattNischan

Release: Working Title CJ4 0.3.1 (MSFS 1.9.3 Compatible)

27 minutes ago, Redge said:

Any advice?

It sounds like at some point you may have put some of our files into your Official folder instead of the Community folder. Dropping our mods into the Community folder won't touch the original aircraft, so if you remove our package from the Community folder, the original aircraft should still be available.

I'm honestly not exactly sure what the best way to fix this is. I know for sure that a complete sim reinstall would do the trick, but that's a painful process.  It is possible that if you just remove the CJ4 from the official folder it will reinstall those files either via the content manager or upon starting the sim, but I can't say for certain.

You definitely never want to touch anything in the "Official" folder - really no matter what anyone tells you - unless you're 100% certain you know what you're doing AND you have a complete backup. Enabling or disabling our CJ4 mod should be as simple as dropping our package folder into the Community folder and when we release a new version, shut down the sim, completely delete the old package from your Community folder and then add in the new package to your Community folder.

Maybe others have some better advice than I do about restoring the default aircraft in the Official folders...

Let us know if none of the above helps and we can try to get you pointed in the right direction...

5800X3D | Radeon RX 6900XT

I saw a clock on ebay that has 25 hours in a day.  Would that help?

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

9 minutes ago, raymar said:

I saw a clock on ebay that has 25 hours in a day.  Would that help?

😄

1 hour ago, cwburnett said:

Let us know if none of the above helps and we can try to get you pointed in the right direction...

Thanks! It turns out I was being a bit stupid, and it’s all working now. 

I had an extra copy of the mod added to my community folder that I didn’t notice. Long story short - the default cj4 mod folder name is too long for my system (I get errors from Windows) so I have to rename it each time I add it. 

Not being used to Windows, I didn’t realise that it would still create the incomplete folder under the original name anyway (just excluding the long files). The sim saw two copies of the same thing and understandably borked. 

It’s all working now though and I’m looking forward to giving the latest update a go tonight. Thanks to you and the team for taking the initiative to build such a great addon!

• Upvote 1

Loving it so far.  Don't know if it's you or MS but the FLC now seems reasonable.  Lnav less so, but you can counter than by lining up on track before you engage.

The one issue I did spot was the Prog page - the distance/time en route  now seems to grow/shrink randomly, which is a shame since it worked 100% under the last patch.  I am sure you guys will fix it, though, and I'm elated you got so much working, so quickly!

Paul Skol

Any ideas on how to avoid the rocking horse effect when climbing to altitude in this version?

• Like 1

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

34 minutes ago, raymar said:

Any ideas on how to avoid the rocking horse effect when climbing to altitude in this version?

I too would like to know this. From what I understand, it was broken by Asobo with the last patch (you can upvote the bug report here: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/the-dolphin-dance-is-back-in-1-9-3-0-pitch-oscillations/288096) but people seem to be having a lot of fun with this aircraft, so I'm hopeful there's a technique to avoid it!

spacer.png
filbertflies.comYouTube | Twitch

i7 13700k, GeForce RTX 3080Ti, 32GB RAM

Un flyable for me. Soon as I take off goes left, goes right, goes up, and finally goes down. Have never been able to connect AP , and if I do it does nothing. Maybe I should try switching to another airport..... I always using the new KEYW......hmmmm

Just now, Dutch1 said:

Un flyable for me. Soon as I take off goes left, goes right, goes up, and finally goes down. Have never been able to connect AP , and if I do it does nothing. Maybe I should try switching to another airport..... I always using the new KEYW......hmmmm

What flight model are you using, legacy or modern?

4 minutes ago, Dutch1 said:

We have not changed any autopilot code (we are using the sim autopilot), and the only change we've made to the aero parameters is a slight increase in elevator trim effectiveness.

Do you have other modifications or aircraft installed by any chance?

49 minutes ago, raymar said:

14 minutes ago, mrfilbert said:

I too would like to know this.

Yes, it is broken. But,

believe it or not, this can be common in the real world, I'll explain. So you actually have two modes in FLC or IAS/Mach hold. There is the indicated speed hold section and then the Mach speed hold section. The change from one IAS to Mach or Mach back to IAS will happen at mach change over. This can be from 28,500 to 29,500 depending on the plane and it's speed schedule. Indicated speed hold is the most stable of the two. The aircraft is usually solid when it comes to indicated speed hold. Only issues you will see is when encountering temperature inversions, large wind speed changes or mountain wave. Mach hold on the other hand can be very loose or sensitive. The way I explain is that there is less space between knots than there is between mach numbers. What I am saying is that when there is a change or variance encountered in indicated speed hold, the aircraft will gently raise the nose or lower it to correct. In Mach mode, it will take a larger bite to correct and easily end up porpoising instead of correcting like it would in indicated speed mode. The items I mentioned before (temperature inversions, large wind speed changes or mountain wave) will easily cause these speed variations. This is how we deal with them in the real world.

1. In the DC10, we would use IAS mode up to mach change over and switch over to vertical speed up to cruise altitude. Even though the book had a warning about vert speed(American crew stalled a DC10 by commanding more than what the jet could do), you just made sure to stay on top of your climb and adjust the vert speed to stay on speed.

2. In the Gulfstreams, I keep a watchful eye on the speed and outside weather. You normally can spot a temperature inversion by it's associated clouds and you can tell the wind speed changes and mountain wave turbulence by rapid speed change. In any case, first thing I do is hit the vert speed button. It will lock in the current vert speed I have. Once things settle down, I vert towards a correction and re-engage FLC. Now, depending on the weight of my jet, I may stay in vert speed when in the mach range. I have found that when the jet is heavy, its more stable and makes smooth and easy corrections. When the jet is light, it gets pitchy and more aggressive. That means that my principle sitting in the VIP seat will start to notice though he is near the fulcrum. In this case, it's best to stay in vert speed because it will easily get off speed making me work harder than needed leading to an uncomfortable flight.

Since the sim is broken, just use vert speed to maintain your climb schedule.

Here is another pro tip for you peeps who love using FLC. The Gulfstream has two large cans back there pushing a lot of power like the DC10 has. Descent is not an issue, but in the climb it can be uncomfortable for your passengers, especially when light. What happens is this. You are sitting there level and the controller clears you to climb. If you arbitrarily hit that FLC button, the throttles will advanced forward, the cans will kick in and then the AP will aggressively raise the nose. That's an eye opener for many of your customers. Even though the gulfstream will judge your altitude change and derate the FLC, it's still aggressive when those cans kick in.Anyway, If your change is greater than 7000ft, it's pouring on the coals. The pro technique is to select vert speed and smoothly dial in vert speed until the engines reach CLB power. Once at climb power, hit FLC and there is no pitching to do.

Rick   

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, MattNischan said:

We have not changed any autopilot code (we are using the sim autopilot), and the only change we've made to the aero parameters is a slight increase in elevator trim effectiveness.

Do you have other modifications or aircraft installed by any chance?

Oh no, not even thinking your mod is the problem, I think it is great. I’m not home right now, but I’m going to set it up at a different airport and see what happens. Another thing I don’t like is all the shaking, very hard to even turn and switch different knobs and switches with the mouse pointer. Also I have no other mods in the community folder. The Longitude is just as bad... now with the Cessna 152, seems to be smooth as butter

On 10/1/2020 at 11:27 AM, cwburnett said:

I'm curious, did MSFS change the packaging requirements for add-ons and mods? I don't see any manifest or layout.json files in this latest update. Am I looking in the wrong spot, or are they gone?

https://github.com/Working-Title-MSFS-Mods/fspackages/tree/cj4-v0.3.1/src

EDIT:

Oops - I think I pulled the wrong package.

Edited by odourboy

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

3 hours ago, mrfilbert said:

I too would like to know this. From what I understand, it was broken by Asobo with the last patch (you can upvote the bug report here: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/the-dolphin-dance-is-back-in-1-9-3-0-pitch-oscillations/288096) but people seem to be having a lot of fun with this aircraft, so I'm hopeful there's a technique to avoid it!

I have not found a way to fix it. My work around is to only engage AP after 220kts on takeoff. I can keep steady FLC @240kts all the way to FL340-360, then it may word not allowed out again so I switch to VS and keep my finger on the trigger. If I find oscillations cruising I descend 2-4k shoes. 

The other phase this occurs is approach/gs interception. In this case I keep 200+ kts all the way, including past final approach fix, until Im  2-3nm and then use the parachutes, eh... full flaps and disconnect AP 😆.

It sucks! Hopefully MS will fix it soon.

• Like 1

Want to give everyone an update on our progress.  Things have slowed a little bit due to real world work, sickness, and complexity of our upcoming tasks.  We are aiming to push this next patch 0.4.0 on Friday and I think you will love it as it brings lots of quality of life changes such as:

-Ability to enter airways properly in the FPLN page

-Legs page changes including adding/deleting/modifying waypoints

-Thrust values have been changed so that thrust acts exponential with N1 (the game currently treats it as a linear relationship which is not correct)
-The thrust changes have changed several things: Taxiing on the ground should be easier since there is enough thrust at idle to keep momentum, the aircraft flies smoother on approach and the N1 values reflect real world performance (Approach N1 target is ~55%), the overall performance is more accurate to how a turbine engine works

-Fuel flows have been completely fixed.  We have bypassed the Asobo method and are calculating it based on thrust output (necessary change to exponential from linear) and modified with a mach factor so the values will be correct or very close to real world.  

UkAX073.png

-Gear drag has been added (basically non-existent before)

-Spoiler drag and negative pitch moment has been greatly reduced (You shouldn't be losing airspeed in a 30 degree nose down dive with the brakes out)

-Flaps drag has been reduced

-And of course bug fixes (For example: PFD/MFD displays crashing due to DME readouts returning as a string instead of a number)

I also had the chance to visit the real CJ4 again between my work trips to get more data and record more audio.  We have a complete collection of all the pax brief audio and we will be implementing that in the future.  Few teasers:

Pax Brief: Turbulence 

CGeUCwS.png

MFD Checklists (Still a WIP)

d1t9RIi.png

Legs Page: 

i4hxUr3.jpg

• Like 8
  • Upvote 3