Sign in to follow this  
fppilot

$100 Hamburger

3 hours ago, VFXSimmer said:

Santa Monica (KSMO) to Catalina (KAVX).

Catalina has a nice little airport (not yet well modelled in MSFS, but rumored to be coming in an ORBX release) that sell buffalo burgers.  I've done that flight with a friend of mine a few times - great short little hop.

SMO-runway-demo-money.jpg.f38b2ad579d148524d43fe04127be575.jpg

KSMO is located just north of LAX so you have some tight clearances around Class B airspace.  The airport is slated to close in 2028 sadly.

LHL5V4MVVUDDMQ4WIWMR2FNLV4.jpg.9123e09cf39139c68207b77c0f384af1.jpg 

KAVX is a fun challenging airport on the top of a mountain on Catalina Island in the ocean south west of LA past Palos Verdes.   The runway is 1602'/488m above sea level and has cliffs at both ends, so VFR conditions are key (no ILS support).

2039877281_airporttowercolor.jpg.886d5773875068f7c4e93bc616fabebf.jpgthe-patio-looking-towards.jpg.90abe217fc8e8d74022783a0e202fbb5.jpg

The facilities are nice, with plenty of info about the island itself.  The buffalo burger at the "Airport in the Sky" restaurant will set you back $22.00.  You can also catch a bus to the town of Avalon nearby to make a day of it.

Happy simming!

The Buffalo burgers are great. Don't forget to go to the top of the tower and pay your landing fee....

Ed

ASRock 2390 Phantom Gaming 4S - Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6ghz - (4.6ghz turbo) liquid cooled -32GB DDR4-3000 mhz OC - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8GB - 480GB SSD - 970 EVO PLUS M.2 1TB

Pilot      C152 - C172SP - PA-28-181 Archer II - Piper PA-28 Cherokee -  AOPA# 09053717

https://www.pcflyers.org/

52 minutes ago, pmb said:

But the big birds are down (an airport not far from is is full of parked planes) and the industry plus suppliers (that's where my son is working) are heavily fighting.

Maybe GA is better off, yes.

Kind regards, Michael

Fully understand.  Have a 2nd nephew who is a first officer for a major airline.  

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

29 minutes ago, Ed_S_Pilot said:

KAVX is a fun challenging airport on the top of a mountain on Catalina Island in the ocean south west of LA past Palos Verdes.   The runway is 1602'/488m above sea level and has cliffs at both ends, so VFR conditions are key (no ILS support).

There is a VOR/DME and GPS approach to KAVX if you are really hungry for that hamburger.  😉

Al

Edited by ark

2 hours ago, sd_flyer said:

I flew to Catalina numerous times for pleasure and as part of checking people out. Got to land from both ends, but most dramatic is view is rwy 22. A lot of pilot burn their brake because they can see remaining runway due 2.1 degrees upslope:)

1264805_10201369613315851_1697071274_o.j

1270724_10201369608035719_49144577_o.jpg

Fun place to hang out . I had taken off from a few different places around the LA area to go to Catalina island. 

Image removed as image is no longer available.

omg u guys got to try the burgers at San Simeon across pch from Hearst castle made with fresh beef grown on hearst ranch...Best burgers I have ever tasted. That is if its even open or will ever open 😞

3 minutes ago, rtodepart said:

Fun place to hang out . I had taken off from a few different places around the LA area to go to Catalina island. 

When I fly from south I usually go to dana point and then across

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

7 minutes ago, sd_flyer said:

When I fly from south I usually go to dana point and then across

My last trip to Catalina was from el

monte . A friend from florida came to Van Nuys  to pick up a PC 12 he got for his birthday spent a good chunk of his early retirement money to buy the PC 12 was a big upgrade coming from a SR22 . We spent a day at Catalina then back to el monte and vegas for 3 days later . That pc12 sure is a nice airplane. One of my favorite. 

No in-sim shots of this one (mainly because the airport isn't well-rendered yet) but KSTP has a great "airport cafe" called Holman's Table. Just ate there tonight, as it happens. In nice weather the patio is right above the ramp so you can watch planes while you eat. For COVID, they've expanded the patio so it's literally on the ramp. It's fenced off but the lower level is right there on level with the tarmac. Neat.

jea-0025-aerials1.jpg?w=1020

o.jpg

Food's great too:

o.jpg

5 hours ago, VFXSimmer said:

Santa Monica (KSMO) to Catalina (KAVX).

Catalina has a nice little airport (not yet well modelled in MSFS, but rumored to be coming in an ORBX release) that sell buffalo burgers.  I've done that flight with a friend of mine a few times - great short little hop.

SMO-runway-demo-money.jpg.f38b2ad579d148524d43fe04127be575.jpg

KSMO is located just north of LAX so you have some tight clearances around Class B airspace.  The airport is slated to close in 2028 sadly.

Unfortunately MSFS2020 does not have SMO depicted correctly. It has the old 5000ft runway, and not the 3500ft runway you see above that exists today

SAR Pilot. Flight Sim'ing since the beginning.

Just remembered KPOC has a NORMS cafe with a nice view of the field.