Sign in to follow this  
desbean

How many bugs are possible in one flight?

I decided to try a flight in the new "detailed" Japan, starting out at RJCK - Kushiro which is a really nice handcrafted airport. I created a new wind layer in the Few Clouds preset with surface winds which would make the ocean look like an ocean instead of a glassy pond and saved it as a custom preset. Turned out that MSFS didn't like the preset as it locked the view in external only and I had to return to the welcome screen and restart a flight every time I tried to use it.

Finally get to take off, and everything is going smooth until ATC tells me to ascend to 9,000'. Well this made sense since there was a mountain range ahead, but just as I was getting to the mountains ATC told me to descend to 7,000' which it turned out would have crashed me into the mountains.

Past the mountains and nearing the approach to RJCC - New Chitose Airport and ATC tells me to descend to 3,000'. Except I can't because now none of the knobs on the G1000 are doing anything, I can't change heading or altitude or anything else. OK, go to developer mode, switch airplanes to the C172 steam and then back to the G1000. Good, now I have lost ATC and I can't follow the course with Nav Mode, but at least I can descend and find and capture the ILS.

I land at RJCC and contact ground which directs me to parking. Unfortunately the parking is 1.5 miles away at the OLD Chitose airport which is now an air force base. I let the copilot get me there. So the logbook pops up as a successful flight, saying that I landed at "(RJOU) Vicinity" which is an airport about 50-miles the the northeast of where I landed. One 150-mile flight with about five different bugs/errors.

• Like 3

I gave up on the ATC about 10 days in.  Ruining my flights even before the G1000 flight plan glitches did.  It is well known.  So why use it?  The G1000 issues are also pretty well known, some issues still present after the fantastic work by the Working Title gang.  So I plan and enter my flights either in the World screen or by writing .pln files with LIttleNavMap.  Once my flight has started in a G1000 model I have learned to stay out of the FPLN and PROC pages of the G1000's MFD and instead use those pages in the PFD.  So far after six flights doing it that way I have not experienced a G1000 lockup/lock-in.

Now I am beginning to enjoy both simple VFR, and my more purpose-driven IFR flights.  I monitor ATC by tuning in the relevant frequencies, but just to listen to radio traffic.  It breaks up the  monotony of 1.5 to 3.0 hour flights without ruining them.

Meanwhile, like you, I wait for better....

Edited by fppilot
  • Like 2

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Many bugs 🐜 in a real flight ✈️ 😂😂😂 i have got the windshield bugged out just by taxing 😂 

Image removed as image is no longer available.

About the only use for the ATC is finding your way to/from the runway at complex airports. Problem is my co-pilot keeps switching it back on though at least only for flight following.

• Like 1

Between the weather preset locking up the sim, G1000 freezing, having to park at an adjacent airport (in order for flight to be recorded), and having my arrival listed as being at an airport 50-miles away, ATC was the least of my problems during this flight. One bug that I forgot to mention was that I saved flight midway in case of more errors, but when reloading it the drop down menu is completely gone.

This sim is visually unmatched, but about as buggy as a piece of software can be and still be usable. The most common things you read in this forum is "oh yes, that's a known issue, don't use that", "they will fix it later", "they will add it later" or "what, that NEVER happens to me!". I have a clean installation on a brand new system, with the same bugs that were on my original. What is baffling is it's missing a large number of features that were available in FSX 15-years ago, and some of the features they have in common were done much better in FSX. They get a huge pass because of the visuals.

Edited by desbean

1 hour ago, desbean said:

Between the weather preset locking up the sim, G1000 freezing, having to park at an adjacent airport (in order for flight to be recorded), and having my arrival listed as being at an airport 50-miles away, ATC was the least of my problems during this flight. One bug that I forgot to mention was that I saved flight midway in case of more errors, but when reloading it the drop down menu is completely gone.

This sim is visually unmatched, but about as buggy as a piece of software can be and still be usable. The most common things you read in this forum is "oh yes, that's a known issue, don't use that", "they will fix it later", "they will add it later" or "what, that NEVER happens to me!". I have a clean installation on a brand new system, with the same bugs that were on my original. What is baffling is it's missing a large number of features that were available in FSX 15-years ago, and some of the features they have in common were done much better in FSX. They get a huge pass because of the visuals.

Yea ok, but many of us dont actually get those problems. What can we do about it? Im not gonna feel sorry because my sim works. Its a shame yours dont, and i hope you can somehow fix it. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, desbean said:

I decided to try a flight in the new "detailed" Japan, starting out at RJCK - Kushiro which is a really nice handcrafted airport. I created a new wind layer in the Few Clouds preset with surface winds which would make the ocean look like an ocean instead of a glassy pond and saved it as a custom preset. Turned out that MSFS didn't like the preset as it locked the view in external only and I had to return to the welcome screen and restart a flight every time I tried to use it.

Finally get to take off, and everything is going smooth until ATC tells me to ascend to 9,000'. Well this made sense since there was a mountain range ahead, but just as I was getting to the mountains ATC told me to descend to 7,000' which it turned out would have crashed me into the mountains.

Past the mountains and nearing the approach to RJCC - New Chitose Airport and ATC tells me to descend to 3,000'. Except I can't because now none of the knobs on the G1000 are doing anything, I can't change heading or altitude or anything else. OK, go to developer mode, switch airplanes to the C172 steam and then back to the G1000. Good, now I have lost ATC and I can't follow the course with Nav Mode, but at least I can descend and find and capture the ILS.

I land at RJCC and contact ground which directs me to parking. Unfortunately the parking is 1.5 miles away at the OLD Chitose airport which is now an air force base. I let the copilot get me there. So the logbook pops up as a successful flight, saying that I landed at "(RJOU) Vicinity" which is an airport about 50-miles the the northeast of where I landed. One 150-mile flight with about five different bugs/errors.

Well, this is what happens when new scenery is released as a priority to actual realistic flying and accurate ATC call-outs!

I'm beginning to really wonder if anyone at Aboso has real-world flying experience or consulted with an actual pilot when developing this?

• Like 6

Chris Camp

13 hours ago, fppilot said:

Once my flight has started in a G1000 model I have learned to stay out of the FPLN and PROC pages of the G1000's MFD and instead use those pages in the PFD.

What's wrong with those pages? What happens?

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

1 hour ago, HiFlyer said:

What's wrong with those pages? What happens?

Reported in other topics here.  Mess around in them very much and I get locked into one to two screens and unable to escape.  Engine monitoring features freeze, and Com and Nav tuning ceases responding to knobs.  That is the MFD.  In my case the PFD remains functional.  I have seen reports from others as well.  Has happened both before and after the progression of mods from Working Title so in my experience it appears native to the default gauge.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

3 hours ago, Kilo60 said:

Well, this is what happens when new scenery is released as a priority to actual realistic flying and accurate ATC call-outs!

I'm beginning to really wonder if anyone at Aboso has real-world flying experience or consulted with an actual pilot when developing this?

I've wondered that since day 1. 

• Like 2

You might consider hanging up the sim for a while and coming back when things actually work. That's what many are doing, myself included. I'll take a functioning X-Plane over a pig in a fancy dress for the time being. These forums are enough to keep me abreast of what's being fixed, and what isn't, without the headache and frustration of actually running the program. 

Edited by Jeeper
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, Jeeper said:

You might consider hanging up the sim for a while and coming back when things actually work. That's what many are doing, myself included. I'll take a functioning X-Plane over a pig in a fancy dress for the time being. These forums are enough to keep me abreast of what's being fixed, and what isn't, without the headache and frustration of actually running the program. 

lol

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jeeper said:

Totally agree, I come here for the miracle.  I have never done a flight without several issues unless I take a C172 and land it 5 miles away.  The ATC is completely broken 

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

13 hours ago, Jeeper said:

I loaded x-plane 11 yesterday for the first time in a while. Other than the excellent flight characteristics, I just couldn’t do it. It was like stepping back in time. Don’t even mention the shimmering due to the crappy AA. And that was with Ortho and active sky. 

• Like 1