Sign in to follow this  
mtr75

TBM 930 - nothing short of brilliant

7 hours ago, AmeliaCat said:

MY only issue with TBM at the moment is the fuel tank selection switch.  I usually start my flights from the runway so its already running.. But about half the time the fuel tank selection is set to manual so its one more unnecessary button i have to turn on and switch to auto.

Sometimes its on and sometimes its off.  I'd assume in most cases I'd have even tanks if I am leaving an airport or somewhere with fuel so I would even out my tanks anyways and have that switched too auto every time,, I dunno what the deciding  factor is in the game that determines if it spawns in manual or auto.

Thank goodness it's your owner that opens your catfood, otherwise you would starve! And do you lay down to eat? I always find that helps.................🤪😜🙃

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

6 hours ago, eslader said:

Well that's just laughable and pretty much calls into question anything you say after it. 

eslader,

I thought my post was reasonably humorous, you have just made me laugh harder and I am not sure that was your intention.

If you had read any further than the first line you may have realized that everything I said was a contradiction of terms to say the least. 

Please re-read and take it all in concept.

Regards

Tony

• Like 3

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

Good to know the TBM is good to fly. Looking forward to flying it when I feel I am ready to move up from the 172. Is there a POH to guide me?

Ok, let's keep this thread positive: I have logged the most hours by far in MSFS with the TBM, and it is fun. The model is gorgeous, the cockpit is best when it comes to ergonomics and readability. I LOVE the animation of the deicing boots. And because I like this plane so much I sincerely hope it will still get some more love frome the devs.

Anyone who feels the same and hasn't done so yet should therefore vote in this threat in order to keep it where it belongs: at the top of the To-do-list for ASOBO.

• Like 1

Gigabyte Aorus Z390Master, i9-9900k @ 5.1 Ghz all cores, RTX 2080, 32 GB RAM

12 hours ago, Greazer said:

Has the the Garmin been fixed with the default TBM 930, whereby Activating the approach turns the plane around and flies away from the landing airport?

Greazer.

I did not experience that yesterday. It flew the RNAV approach on rails. It could be because I set up, loaded and activated the approach well in advance of the IAF. But it flew the approach perfectly. 

9 hours ago, AmeliaCat said:

But about half the time the fuel tank selection is set to manual so its one more unnecessary button i have to turn on and switch to auto.

I noticed that yesterday as well when I got the fuel imbalance notification. But try starting any plane cold and dark someday and you'll gain a new appreciation for flipping switches! 😉

7 hours ago, rtodepart said:

I can agree with you on the TBM having a chunk of  hours on the real thing too . my experience so far similar to yours . Miami down to some of the islands its really fun , today i did FLL with a stop in cuba and than down to puerto rico . lefted the TBM down there ill bring it back tomorrow afternoon . 

after years dealing with new releases i had learned to jump on any aircraft on MSFS learn their missing features if any and FIGURE OUT HOW TO FLIGHT THE THING . 

FS2020 may not be complete but im not nitpicking im flying and having fun .

This thing must be absolutely amazing in real life!!! And I almost did a flight out of FLL to Provenciales in the Turks and Caicos yesterday. That will be my next mission.

9 hours ago, AmeliaCat said:
  •  

No, issue is still there. In addition, I now have the pfd freeze up each time I enter the approach phase (there are work arounds for both issues, but they sometimes don't work).

WHAT refresh rate do u have your pfd set too Medium is recommended,, Ive never had the pfd freeze up on me,,,

Would be so much easier to fix the bugs in this game if they happened to everyone.

That's interesting, because I didn't have that. It really seems like different people are having different experiences with the same sim, which is weird. 

1 hour ago, Toneal2 said:

Good to know the TBM is good to fly. Looking forward to flying it when I feel I am ready to move up from the 172. Is there a POH to guide me?

I'm on the lookout for that very thing. There is a 736-page pilot information manual, but I'm on the hunt for something more concise, to say the least:

https://www.tbm.aero/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/PIM-930__AN__E0.pdf

1 hour ago, mtr75 said:

I did not experience that yesterday. It flew the RNAV approach on rails. It could be because I set up, loaded and activated the approach well in advance of the IAF. But it flew the approach perfectly. 

That's the issue.  What happens is that many times, ATC won't give you the approach until after you pass your last waypoint in your flight plan..

When you load in the approach, the autopilot doesn't anchor the leg to the IAF from your current position, but instead, anchors it to your last waypoint in the flight plan.  If that's 60nm behind you, so be it.   

That can be avoided simply by preloading your arrival and approach in the flight planner.  However, that may conflict to what the actual runways in use are, and you can find yourself landing the wrong way for weather conditions.

Another method is to add a waypoint fairly close to the airport and IAF so that when you do get routed, it won't backtrack as bad.  The downside to this, is that of course since ATC won't clear your approach until after you past your last waypoint, you get your approach information almost on top of the airport.  

So the trick is to define a waypoint that is far enough away that will still allow you plenty of time to descend to your approach altitude and speed, but not one so far away that you end up flying halfway back home to start your approach.

Another option which I haven't really tested to much, is to use the GPS to enter a "Direct To"  the IAF after you you get the information.  This, I believe will wipe out your previous flight plan and anchor your start from your position.  Then you may be able to load the approach.  It may still circle you back, but only a small 360 since now the last waypoint was anchored to where you started the Direct To 

• Like 2

I think members of this community will know where I stand on the TBM 930. As RL pilot, flying the 930 in this sim has been outstanding. To date, it is the only plane I have flown in the sim and I know it very well. I create video content based on my experiences with aircraft that I know will perform properly. While I know the functionality of the G3000 in this default aircraft is limited, the fundamental basics linked to flight plan navigation have performed as they should. In my latest video flying from Nice to Courchevel I ran ForeFlight on my iPad (as I do in RL) simultaneously in sync with the sim. From HDG, to NAV, to manual control, start to finish over 164nm it was flawless. Whether I was using the data from the G3000 avionics or ForeFlight, nothing was amiss and everything was on track to fly the route whether the autopilot was engaged or disengaged.

PS: My other platform is X-Plane and this sim holds me for study level functionality at this time. 

• Like 1

Lawrence “Laurie” Doering

Latest video at The Flight Level F-18 Hornet | Supersonic Medical Transport | Dubai to Abu Dhabi | First Mission in DCS World | 4K

14 hours ago, himmelhorse said:

1. Despite the "improvements" on these aircraft, they will never be able to compete with the default aircraft in P3D or XPlane

Thanks for the entertainment 🥰

• Like 1

4 hours ago, himmelhorse said:

I thought my post was reasonably humorous, you have just made me laugh harder and I am not sure that was your intention.

Ah, apologies. It can be hard to tell the difference between satire and actual stupid criticisms when the satire does such a good job of imitating the other. 😉

• Like 5

1 hour ago, mtr75 said:

There is a 736-page pilot information manual, but I'm on the hunt for something more concise

It states on it's front page: THIS INFORMATION MANUAL IS A NON-OFFICIAL COPY OF THE PILOT'S OPERATING HANDBOOK. It's non official for legal reasons as it is not amended. In don't think you'll find anything much different as it has everything one would expect from a POH.

Gigabyte Aorus Z390Master, i9-9900k @ 5.1 Ghz all cores, RTX 2080, 32 GB RAM

1 hour ago, wthomas33065 said:

That's the issue.  What happens is that many times, ATC won't give you the approach until after you pass your last waypoint in your flight plan..

When you load in the approach, the autopilot doesn't anchor the leg to the IAF from your current position, but instead, anchors it to your last waypoint in the flight plan.  If that's 60nm behind you, so be it.   

That can be avoided simply by preloading your arrival and approach in the flight planner.  However, that may conflict to what the actual runways in use are, and you can find yourself landing the wrong way for weather conditions.

Another method is to add a waypoint fairly close to the airport and IAF so that when you do get routed, it won't backtrack as bad.  The downside to this, is that of course since ATC won't clear your approach until after you past your last waypoint, you get your approach information almost on top of the airport.  

So the trick is to define a waypoint that is far enough away that will still allow you plenty of time to descend to your approach altitude and speed, but not one so far away that you end up flying halfway back home to start your approach.

Another option which I haven't really tested to much, is to use the GPS to enter a "Direct To"  the IAF after you you get the information.  This, I believe will wipe out your previous flight plan and anchor your start from your position.  Then you may be able to load the approach.  It may still circle you back, but only a small 360 since now the last waypoint was anchored to where you started the Direct To 

I’ve wondered a bit about this since this morning. I would have to try it to figure out if I’m right or not, or if this is even possible in the stock G3000 in the game, but I’m wondering if some of the problem is that people don’t fully understand the G3000 and loading and activating approaches. I’ll explain:

Loading the approach does just that: it loads the waypoints, headings, altitudes, etc., of the approach into your flight plan. To activate the approach, you either click the activate button, or you click on a particular waypoint in the flight plan/approach and hit the -D-> direct-to key. This is what we do a lot in real life when you’re getting vectors to final. If you were to just activate the approach when you’re inside the IAF, yes, it would send you to the IAF or whatever transition you have selected (assuming you’re using the autopilot). 

The problem is that I’ve heard the direct-to key doesn’t work in the sim. So if I’m correct on the diagnosis, the “medicine” might not work. I’ll have to try it and see. 

Edited by mtr75