Sign in to follow this  
Flyfaster_MTN002

Asobo is hiring for Flight Simulator 2020 dev and testing

4 hours ago, Janov said:

For what its worth - I can navigate VFR in X-Plane 11 with a real world sectional chart just fine. Terrain features are exactly where they are on the map, and just because they don´t look "photoreal" does not mean you can´t recognize them.

If numbers and methods is all you are looking for that sure is sufficient. If you also want immersion... meh.

Plus, VFR flying is much more than sectional charts. It's about recognizing scenery. Dynamic weather. Feeling. MSFS gives me all of that on a level unmatched almost worldwide. XP has other benefits.

Edited by tweekz
  • Like 2

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

2 hours ago, BigDee said:

There is no need to praise you and others for gaming, nor can anyone create a game at the moment by gaming.

I am not seeking praise.  I don’t know where you get that.  I’ve been in software development and testing for over 20 years.  So I do have some insight on development and I was simply commenting on the fact that MSFS needs to have a wider appeal to achieve profitability than the relatively narrow scope of the hard core sim market.  Your condescending post regarding “gamers” is one of the reason that hardcore simmers get a bad name.  

And if you think that I am simply sitting in front of a PC seeking your praise, then your self analysis regarding your own intellect is right on the money

Edited by wthomas33065
corrected typo.
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, espent said:

How can you spin this news as bad?

I would guess absolute determination. Kinda like when you're driving under a bridge and you wonder how some tagger managed to spray paint that curse word right in the middle of the span. It takes effort and commitment to be that much of a social vandal. 😉

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Chock said:

Unless you actually know their staffing levels, their working conditions, their infrastructure and their plans, you can't really infer too much from the fact that a company is hiring. Barring the slim chance there has been a mass exodus of staff (unlikely in the current job climate), it's generally a good indicator for the company's immediate and mid-term prospects if it is taking people on.

Keep in mind too that things at most companies are somewhat in flux thanks to Covid 19. I've already switched jobs twice thanks to the pandemic and I daresay I'm by no means alone in that. Most single positions need to have two or three people to cover them so that illness and holidays can be covered, or if you are deciding to implement shift working that too requires more staff. This among other things could be among the many potential reasons behind the adverts for requiring more staff.

If they were ditching staff on the other hand, now that would be a bad sign.

This and didn’t Aboso recently announce another big game development project that has nothing to do with MSFS...??

Chris Camp

25 minutes ago, Kilo60 said:

This and didn’t Aboso recently announce another big game development project that has nothing to do with MSFS...??

Asobo have more than one team within the studio.  Their biggest team is working on MSFS.

2 hours ago, wthomas33065 said:

I am not seeking praise.  I don’t know where you get that.  I’ve been in software development and testing for over 20 years.  So I do have some insight on development and I was simply commenting on the fact that MSFS needs to have a wider appeal to achieve profitability than the relatively narrow scope of the hard core sim market.  Your condescending post regarding “gamers” is one of the reason that hardcore simmers get a bad name.  

And if you think that I am simply sitting in front of a PC seeking your praise, then your self analysis regarding your own intellect is right on the money

Well, that was what you have written:

" but at least they have the intelligence to know that without the "casual simmer" there is no way this thing breaks even."

"...but remember that it's the "gamer" who's buzzing the Space Needle in Seattle or flying down 5th Avenue in Manhattan at rooftop level in the TBM, that's paying the bills, not the guy flying a Cat 3 approach into JFK using Vatsim.  That's just simple numbers folks.  "

So, everytime we`re buzzing the Space Needle in Seattle, or fly down the 5th Avenue in Manhattan we will always think about you, the "casual simmers", that payed the bills for MSFS.MSFS should have been made what its name stands for, there is no excuse for real-time scenery to have a great lack of realistic physics.

For you, the casual gamers play the bills, for me, the casual gamers will further evolve the path of MSFS beeing a pseudo simulation (kindly said). Asobo has ruined a great sim of the past with their great lack of knowledge in flight physics. It`s the marketing of MS and the knowledge of Asobo that led to this way.

Edited by BigDee

2 hours ago, Janov said:

I guess I feel the need to post whenever X-Plane is mentioned in this forum 🙂 So if you can chastize those folks that mention X-Plane and keep them from doing so, I will promise to stay out of these forums!

I think, however, that looking over the "edge of your plate" as we say in German is beneficial to any platform. This definitely does include X-Plane users taking an interest in any other simulation offering and vice versa.

Not sure I'd call throwing up the bat-signal every time someone mentions XP in this subforum, and artfully condescending about Flight Simulator despite never having used it yourself, "taking an interest" in it.  Sounds like the opposite, actually.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, wthomas33065 said:

People might accuse MS for "dumbing down" it's product or simply dismiss it as a game, but at least they have the intelligence to know that without the "casual simmer" there is no way this thing breaks even.

While I'm sure MSFS is designed to on-board and provide a fun experience for "casual" users, this isn't even really how Microsoft's financial calculus works for games any more.  They are more concerned with driving Game Pass subscriptions, than with any particular game "breaking even" by traditional metrics.  Sorta like Netflix.

14 minutes ago, BigDee said:

Well, that was what you have written:

" but at least they have the intelligence to know that without the "casual simmer" there is no way this thing breaks even."

"...but remember that it's the "gamer" who's buzzing the Space Needle in Seattle or flying down 5th Avenue in Manhattan at rooftop level in the TBM, that's paying the bills, not the guy flying a Cat 3 approach into JFK using Vatsim.  That's just simple numbers folks.  "

So, everytime we`re buzzing the Space Needle in Seattle, or fly down the 5th Avenue in Manhattan we will always think about you, the "casual simmers", that payed the bills for MSFS.

You are either really not being very intelligent, or you are intentionally trying to cause discontent.  The financial realities that the massive investment in the technologies used in MSFS (which is more than any previous version of the product) means that the product needs to appeal to a wider audience than previous versions.

There is no debate that the number of casual simmers or "gamers" is far greater than the narrow niche that calls themselves simmers.

A simple look at the numbers in Steam bear this out.  

If you somehow mistake the financial reality of expecting to make a profit off of sales or game pass subscriptions as some attempt to get some "gratitude" then you really are pretty deluded.

Edited by wthomas33065
  • Like 1

And so another thread morphs into MFS v the rest and the sainted "simmers" v the despised "gamers". Sigh.

• Like 1

Give people power to really test their personality.

17 minutes ago, wthomas33065 said:

You are either really not being very intelligent, or you are intentionally trying to cause discontent.  The financial realities that the massive investment in the technologies used in MSFS (which is more than any previous version of the product) means that the product needs to appeal to a wider audience than previous versions.

If you somehow mistake the financial reality of expecting to make a profit off of sales or game pass subscriptions as some attempt to get some "gratitude" then you really are pretty deluded.

Isn`t there a phrase, selling the soul for money? New technologies don`t give an excuse to ruin the primary point of a Flight Simulator, the simulation aspect.

Talking about finances, if you are one like the masses that buy an Iphone for 1000$ every second year, there is no need to talk about financial reality or irreality, it`s pretty redundant.

Edited by BigDee

13 hours ago, OSM said:

MSFS 2020 Development phases. 😄

Phase 1: Making a GAME - Completed.

Phase 2: Making a SIMULATOR - Started.

You meant "backlog". 😄

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

19 minutes ago, wthomas33065 said:

There is no debate that the number of casual simmers or "gamers" is far greater than the narrow niche that calls themselves simmers.

There's also no debate that simmers and "casuals" can use the same platform without detracting from the other group's enjoyment of it. Who cares if a "casual" wants to buzz the space needle? Let him. Doesn't impact my flights in any way whatsoever.

Besides, I'm hardcore enough that I own everything PMDG made for P3d, plus Leonardo, and a couple others, and I fly them well. But I still sometimes do stuff in the sim that I would never even consider doing in a real plane - like last night's flight through the storm-wrapped Sangre de Cristo mountains in icing, in a Cub. Not something any intelligent pilot would ever do, but it was amusing. Guess I'm just a filthy casual now?

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, SamYeager said:

And so another thread morphs into MFS v the rest and the sainted "simmers" v the despised "gamers". Sigh.

Anyone surprised?

• Like 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5