Sign in to follow this  
Carts85

5800x/5900x CPU benchmarks coming in for MSFS

On 11/6/2020 at 8:40 PM, ANCRM114 said:

This might be a buy once cry once moment.

This statement perfectly explains my RTX 3090 purchase....

MSFS Alpha tester on W10 Pro x64. Hardware: AMD 5900X 12 core CPU. Cooler Master ML360R AIO, Asus X570-E mobo, Asus Strix 3090 24GB gfx card, G.Skill TridentZ 64GB (4x16) DDR4-3600 RAM, Samsung 970 250GB SSD (OS), Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2 pcie-4 NVMe SSD (MSFS install). EVGA 850w Gold cert PSU, CUK Continuum full ATX tower.  43" Sceptre 4K display. VR: HP Reverb G2.

47 minutes ago, Brandon01110 said:

This statement perfectly explains my RTX 3090 purchase....

I don't know if I'd have the nerves to have spent over £1,500 on the 3090, it was bad enough spending £899 on the Nitro+ se 6800xt. Plus my wife wasn't that happy when I told her how much it cost, at least she seems over it now.

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Ultra, 32GB DDR4 3600 MHz RAM, 2* 1 TB SSD,1*4 TB M.2, 2*1 TB M.2, (4TB) HDD,RADEON RX 6800XT NITRO+ OC SE 16GB GDDR6, NZXT Kraken X73, NZXT 710 Case, X55 JOYSTICK/THROTTLES, LG 4K monitor, Dell 1080 monitor. Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Bravo Throttle. Thrustmaster TPR Pedals. Tobii Eye tracker.

On 1/22/2021 at 1:03 AM, ANCRM114 said:

I've seen some other reports that put the 5800x above the 5900x and I'm curious if the 8 core on one CCD is sthe sweet spot for MSFS.

I have the feeling more than 8 cores may be more relevant in the future when study-level aircraft add-ons become available. As it stands right now though, I think 8 cores are the best choice for MSFS.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

My simming system: AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 Ti Super 16GB, LG 38" 3840x1600

10 hours ago, pstrub said:

I have the feeling more than 8 cores may be more relevant in the future when study-level aircraft add-ons become available. As it stands right now though, I think 8 cores are the best choice for MSFS.

The only reasson that I went for the 6900xt card was once I had had the discussion with my better half about spending money on the computer and explaining the cost.. I actually stated the costs with the 5950 and the 6900xt with reasons fully expecting to be pulled back to either or both of 5900 and 6800xt due to cost, but my financial manager/wife just looked at me and said..  if thats what you want, then go ahead and order it....   Who am I to refuse 🙂

And I must admit, that combo running at a locked 45FPS with Freesynch fully enabled is so smooth and pleasant in any aircraft in any region in the world at 1400/2k  whatever you want to call it is a dream for me 🙂

Graham

Edited by Moria15
  • Like 3

System specs...   CPU AMD5950,  GPU AMD6900XT,  ROG crosshair VIII Hero motherboard, Corsair 64 gig LPX 3600 mem, Air cooling on GPU,   Kraken x pump cooling on CPU.  Samsung G7 curved 27" monitor at 2k resolution ULTRA default settings.

On 1/25/2021 at 8:43 PM, Moria15 said:

The only reasson that I went for the 6900xt card was once I had had the discussion with my better half about spending money on the computer and explaining the cost.. I actually stated the costs with the 5950 and the 6900xt with reasons fully expecting to be pulled back to either or both of 5900 and 6800xt due to cost, but my financial manager/wife just looked at me and said..  if thats what you want, then go ahead and order it....   Who am I to refuse 🙂

And I must admit, that combo running at a locked 45FPS with Freesynch fully enabled is so smooth and pleasant in any aircraft in any region in the world at 1400/2k  whatever you want to call it is a dream for me 🙂

Graham

So what settings are you using?

I'm currently got most of my settings 3840*2160,100 render/terrain/lod for all, TAA, clouds ULTRA, everything else at HIGH, AA 16*, TS 8*8. Flying in the FBW 320 Neo at Orbx Newcastle with the Newcastle google mod (which is resource heavy) I'm getting 30-38 FPS over built up areas. I still need to mess around with the settings and more benchmarking to get the best out of my system.

I'd imagine I can drop some of my settings, and get more FPS without much degradation in the quality of the visuals with me running in 4k.

I must say that flying at these settings super smoothly in 4k the sim looks almost true to live. I'm loving it, Only knows what superb visuals I'll be experiencing after the UK update. Bring it on. 

Edit. My specs are in my signature.

Edited by eaim

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Ultra, 32GB DDR4 3600 MHz RAM, 2* 1 TB SSD,1*4 TB M.2, 2*1 TB M.2, (4TB) HDD,RADEON RX 6800XT NITRO+ OC SE 16GB GDDR6, NZXT Kraken X73, NZXT 710 Case, X55 JOYSTICK/THROTTLES, LG 4K monitor, Dell 1080 monitor. Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Bravo Throttle. Thrustmaster TPR Pedals. Tobii Eye tracker.

42 minutes ago, eaim said:

I'm currently got most of my settings 3840*2160,100 render/terrain/lod for all, TAA, clouds ULTRA, everything else at HIGH, AA 16*, TS 8*8. Flying in the FBW 320 Neo at Orbx Newcastle with the Newcastle google mod (which is resource heavy) I'm getting 30-38 FPS over built up areas. I still need to mess around with the settings and more benchmarking to get the best out of my system.

I'd imagine I can drop some of my settings, and get more FPS without much degradation in the quality of the visuals with me running in 4k.

I must say that flying at these settings super smoothly in 4k the sim looks almost true to live. I'm loving it, Only knows what superb visuals I'll be experiencing after the UK update. Bring it on. 

My screen is set to 2560x1440  Freesynch which is fine for me since its 27" and about 14" in front of me.   Every setting in the system is as per the ULTRA preset...AA 16* .. render scaling 100, terrain level of detail 200, objects level of detail 200  ts 6*6

I have newcastle orbx and the newky freeware mod, so I jumped into my 320 and went there at 10,000 ft  and was getting around 45 - 50 FPS depending on the view on cloudy skies..  moving to clear sky added about 3 to 4 FPS in all directions..  dropped to 45 in cloudy skies when facing the town and the town filled the view.  

I will say this was making the fans on my 6900 hum a bit and the temp was pushing it a bit,  so I dialled down to lock at 30fps using the radeon software  and it pulled the temps back to perfectly satisfactory..  ( ie running at about 80 degrees cent with the fans on 50% usage)

Final figures for this...  CPU usage 10%  GPU usage 60%.

Regards

Graham

Edited by Moria15

System specs...   CPU AMD5950,  GPU AMD6900XT,  ROG crosshair VIII Hero motherboard, Corsair 64 gig LPX 3600 mem, Air cooling on GPU,   Kraken x pump cooling on CPU.  Samsung G7 curved 27" monitor at 2k resolution ULTRA default settings.

41 minutes ago, eaim said:

Can you possibly comment on driver version and driver settings? i was going to put my planned upgrade from a 3700X/RTX 2080 Super  to 5800x/6800xt or RTX3080 to the side and resign myself to what i presently got till later on this year but i got really lucky and got a 6800XT Red Devil in the Newegg shuffle.

So I'm switching from team Green to Team Red and i haven't used one of their cards in a long time. Want to make sure their drivers and picture quality is up to snuff.

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Asus VG34VQL3A / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

23 minutes ago, Moria15 said:

My screen is set to 2560x1440  Freesynch which is fine for me since its 27" and about 14" in front of me.   Every setting in the system is as per the ULTRA preset...AA 16* .. render scaling 100, terrain level of detail 200, objects level of detail 200  ts 6*6

I have newcastle orbx and the newky freeware mod, so I jumped into my 320 and went there at 10,000 ft  and was getting around 35 - 45 FPS depending on the view on cloudy skies..  moving to clear sky added about 3 to 4 FPS in all directions..  dropped to 35 when facing the town and the town filled the view.  

I will say this was making the fans on my 6900 hum a bit and the temp was pushing it a bit,  so I dialled down to lock at 30fps using the radeon software  and it pulled the temps back to perfectly satisfactory..  ( ie running at about 80 degrees cent with the fans on 50% usage)

Final figures for this...  CPU usage 10%  GPU usage 60%.

Regards

GrahaI'm 

Thanks. TBF I flew over Newcastle at 2500 ft, it looked great. Vram usage varied from over 7GB to just over 10GB, which is part of the reason I went for a AMD GPU, I was worried about Vram as the 3090 was out of my price range and the 10GB on the 3080 concerned be that it might not be enough memory as the sim develops.

I'm planning on removing most of my google scenery mods ready for the UK update, I'll retry the sim over Newcastle at 10,000 ft like you did and try and get a rough comparison to your slightly better system than what I have, Obliviously I'm flying at 4k, so i'll get less FPS, I'm at work tonight so I can do more testing over the weekend and into next week, before I return to work on Wednesday.

It will be interest to see the performance of the sim before and after the UK update.

Edited by eaim

8 minutes ago, Maxis said:

Can you possibly comment on driver version and driver settings? i was going to put my planned upgrade from a 3700X/RTX 2080 Super  to 5800x/6800xt or RTX3080 to the side and resign myself to what i presently got till later on this year but i got really lucky and got a 6800XT Red Devil in the Newegg shuffle.

So I'm switching from team Green to Team Red and i haven't used one of their cards in a long time. Want to make sure their drivers and picture quality is up to snuff.

I'm just running the standard latest driver and settings, it's also been a long time since I have had an AMD Gpu (15-20 years?) so I'm just getting used to it again, I've only had my new Gpu a couple of days.

So far I've got to say that I'm impressed with the card.

Edited by eaim
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, eaim said:

Thanks. TBF I flew over Newcastle at 2500 ft, it looked great. Vram usage varied from over 7GB to just over 10GB, which is part of the reason I went for a AMD GPU, I was worried about Vram as the 3090 was out of my price range and the 10GB on the 3080 concerned be that it might not be enough memory as the sim develops.

I'm planning on removing most of my google scenery mods ready for the UK update, I'll retry the sim over Newcastle at 10,000 ft like you did and try and get a rough comparison to your slightly better system than what I have, Obliviously flying at 4k, so i'll get less FPS, I'm at work tonight so I can do more testing over the weekend and into next week, before I return to work on Wednesday.

It will be interest to see the performance of the sim before and after the UK update.

Agreed..  I am doing 5 or 6 flights in the uk to known specs so I can compare before and after UK update.   Actually I think I can improve mine somewhat as well because I have done zero tuning as yet.   As to Vram.. also seeing about 10 as the max figure and of my normal RAM of 32 gig am seeing about a 45% utilisation.

I am going to try turning Radeon chill on and a few other bits to see how that changes things.   Again will be using my test flights in different aircraft types to check it all.

The A320 is a bit of a hog.. it's about 5FPS worrse than the TBM in similar circumstances. (My glass updates are set to medium right now)

Currently using Driver 20.12.1 and delivered settings

Graham

Edited by Moria15

7 minutes ago, Moria15 said:

Agreed..  I am doing 5 or 6 flights in the uk to known specs so I can compare before and after UK update.   Actually I think I can improve mine somewhat as well because I have done zero tuning as yet.   As to Vram.. also seeing about 10 as the max figure and of my normal RAM of 32 gig am seeing about a 45% utilisation.

I am going to try turning Radeon chill on and a few other bits to see how that changes things.   Again will be using my test flights in different aircraft types to check it all.

The A320 is a bit of a hog.. it's about 5FPS worrse than the TBM in similar circumstances. (My glass updates are set to medium right now)

Graham

I'm now that much of a Radeon noob seeing as I've been an Nvidia user for years I don't even know what Radeon chill is.

Edit just googled it and sort of understand it without have a mess around with it.

Edited by eaim

1 minute ago, eaim said:

I'm now that much of a Radeon noob seeing as I've been an Nvidia user for years I don't even know what Radeon chill is.

Yeah I am relearning...   Radeon Chill is setting an FPS limit in the Radeon software and lets you set a min and max fps  rather than using the Flight Sim setting to do it...  it also works on the menus when its loaded  so the menu isn't screaming away at 700FPS and driving the card to it's limits before you even fly 🙂

Graham

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Moria15 said:

Yeah I am relearning...   Radeon Chill is setting an FPS limit in the Radeon software and lets you set a min and max fps  rather than using the Flight Sim setting to do it...  it also works on the menus when its loaded  so the menu isn't screaming away at 700FPS and driving the card to it's limits before you even fly 🙂

Graham

One thing that put me off AMD/Radeon were some comments that the software/drivers were bad, I'm hoping that either they not that bad or they were just Nvidia word not allowed putting the competition down.