Sign in to follow this  
Carts85

5800x/5900x CPU benchmarks coming in for MSFS

The only hesitation i have with AMD CPUs right now is the life expectancy of AM4. The AM4 lasted so long, and the next iteration (AM5?) will have a long life as well, most likely, and support DDR5 Memory. Just wondering if i want to invest in the last of the AM4 ecosystem or hold out a little longer for  AM5. I definitely like AMD’s approach to not needing a new MB every CPU gen. Intel sucks in this regard. 

• Upvote 2

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

I am going to wait to at least see what the 11th gen CPUs from Intel are capable of. 

A. I don't feel like pressing F5 all day long, especially after I did for my 3080

B. the 11th gen Intels will be compatible with 400 series motherboards 

Tyson Rose

22 minutes ago, snwboardn said:

I am going to wait to at least see what the 11th gen CPUs from Intel are capable of. 

A. I don't feel like pressing F5 all day long, especially after I did for my 3080

To be released when?

SAR Pilot. Flight Sim'ing since the beginning.

I'm not sure if any of you have seen th video linked below but Steve of Gamers Nexus seems to be saying that the small performance increase from the 3600x to the 3800x vs the $150~ price increase between the two makes the 5600x a better choice for a pure gaming rig and the 5900x or 5950x better choices for a production / video editing / streaming rig. It seems hard to justify paying the 5800x price when theres very little perfomance uplift from the 5600x. I was going to go for the 5800x but might go for the 5600x and use the savings to get a better GPU which I'll use more in other games. 

Gamers Nexus Video: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X CPU Review & Benchmarks vs. 5600X & 5900X

Videocardz MSFS2020 bechmarks: https://cdn.videocardz.com/1/2020/11/Ryzen-5600X-5800X-5900X-Microsoft-Flight-Simulator_videocardz.jpg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

The 5600X should be an absolutely fantastic gaming CPU.

However I am hesitant with only 6 cores / 12 threads. 

There's quite a price gap to the 5800x, and then there's a smaller gap on top of that to the 5900X. 

I ended up ordering a 5900X, the 5950x is just too expensive for my use. However it is a backorder, so even with delivery date of 2nd of December it will probably get delayed.

• Like 1

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S
Experience with Flight Simulator since early 1990s

14 minutes ago, rh205 said:

I'm not sure if any of you have seen th video linked below but Steve of Gamers Nexus seems to be saying that the small performance increase from the 3600x to the 3800x vs the $150~ price increase between the two makes the 5600x a better choice for a pure gaming rig and the 5900x or 5950x better choices for a production / video editing / streaming rig. It seems hard to justify paying the 5800x price when theres very little perfomance uplift from the 5600x. I was going to go for the 5800x but might go for the 5600x and use the savings to get a better GPU which I'll use more in other games. 

Gamers Nexus Video: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X CPU Review & Benchmarks vs. 5600X & 5900X

Videocardz MSFS2020 bechmarks: https://cdn.videocardz.com/1/2020/11/Ryzen-5600X-5800X-5900X-Microsoft-Flight-Simulator_videocardz.jpg

I don’t know... I think 8/16 is the new sweet spot. The next-gen consoles will have 8/16 cpus, even the weakest one (Series S). 

I think on most situations, on most games, the 5600x will be enough/on par with the 5800x, but on some cases I think more cores will guarantee more stability and performance. 

This benchmark of MSFS you posted doesn’t specify the scenario they tested it, but other benchmark used the Sidney landing challenge, I bet this one also used one of the challenges to test it. That said, on a scenario that the sim uses the cpu more intensively, what would happen? 

• Like 1

7800X3D@H170i // Msi RTX 4090 Trio // 32GB DDR5 6000mhz CL30 // 2TB + 1TB Nvme
Dell 27" 2127DGF - 1440p - Gsync - 165hz 
Thrustmaster TCA Sidestick Airbus // TCA Quadrant Airbus // TFRP T.Flight Rudder Pedals // Logitech Flight Multi Panel

3 hours ago, RobJC said:

The only hesitation i have with AMD CPUs right now is the life expectancy of AM4. The AM4 lasted so long, and the next iteration (AM5?) will have a long life as well, most likely, and support DDR5 Memory. Just wondering if i want to invest in the last of the AM4 ecosystem or hold out a little longer for  AM5. I definitely like AMD’s approach to not needing a new MB every CPU gen. Intel sucks in this regard. 

DDR5 RAM isn't available yet, and will likely carry quite a price premium when it first comes out.

Also, there were a lot of 'teething' minor issues with X570 boards when Ryzen 3000 first came out, which have been addressed over the last year and a half.

Personally I think there's a lot to be said for a stable motherboard that has been tuned for over a year now, with this new CPU with a huge single threaded performance increase.  It should make for a fast and reliable platform for running MSFS.  AM5 will likely have its own set of 'teething' issues when it first comes out, in addition to high RAM costs.

2 hours ago, snwboardn said:

The 11th gen will *maybe* (napkin math based) reach parity with AMD again in single threaded applications.  However it's going to max out at 8 cores, and that 8 core part will draw up to 300W of power when Turboing, in order to push the 14nm++++++++++ silicone to higher speeds.  Compare 8 cores drawing 300W at turbo to a 5800X, 5900X, or 5950X all of which have a 105W TDP and a hard limit on the max package power the CPU can draw of 142W.  Or a 5600X where the TDP is 65W and the hard power limit is at 88W. 

Intel 11th gen is ancient technology being pushed to the max, hugely inefficient and with 2 less cores than 10the gen so they can try to eek out a few more Mhz from the 8 cores that are there.....

Edited by marsman2020
  • Upvote 1

AMD 3950X | 64GB RAM | AMD 5700XT | CH Fighterstick / Pro Throttle / Pro Pedals

24 minutes ago, marsman2020 said:

The 11th gen will *maybe* (napkin math based) reach parity with AMD again in single threaded applications.  However it's going to max out at 8 cores, and that 8 core part will draw up to 300W of power when Turboing, in order to push the 14nm++++++++++ silicone to higher speeds.  Compare 8 cores drawing 300W at turbo to a 5800X, 5900X, or 5950X all of which have a 105W TDP and a hard limit on the max package power the CPU can draw of 142W.  Or a 5600X where the TDP is 65W and the hard power limit is at 88W. 

Intel 11th gen is ancient technology being pushed to the max, hugely inefficient and with 2 less cores than 10the gen so they can try to eek out a few more Mhz from the 8 cores that are there.....

Yeah I get it, power consumption new tech, at the end of the day FOR ME, especially since I bought a 10900k, turning around and buying a 1k mobo+ cpu 3 months later doesn't make much sense. 

If I was still on my 7700 I would definitely look into it, and knowing what I know now about the state of MSFS I would have waited for Ryzen but I thought we were going to have the best simulation platform and wanted to have a CPU that could handle it on day 1 of launch. But for 5 - 10 fps it just doesn't make much sense. 

I don't think we have to worry about MSFS getting ported to DX12 any time soon either, by then the Ryzen 6000 series will be announced and I can look then. 

Edited by snwboardn
  • Upvote 1

Tyson Rose

Changing my 3700X for the new 5800X and getting a higher 400Mhz clock on all cores made a significant difference in P3D, it's much faster in excess of 10fps in the same situations. MSFS also feels faster but since i don't care about it until proper airplanes are out i didn't spend too much time measuring the differences.

It _IS_ noticeable the IPC speed (plus extra clock). Intel is doomed with their power-hungry toasters.

Edited by Nuno Pinto
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

CASE: Custom ALU 5.3L CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4060 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

I'm waiting for a few more days to see what the benefits are of teaming the new CPU's with the new GPU's supposedly available on the 18th.

I will be building a new computer for MSFS2020 over the winter, and have previously been Intel all the way, but am getting slowly drawn towards the all in one solution from AMD of a 5900 and a 6800 or 6800XT

I just have a feeling that since both come from the same company, that they will work together much better than items from multiple companies and possibly use the shared resources better 🙂

Whatever happens, I am not waiting for the next gen Intel..   you could spend your whole life just waiting a few more months for the next big thing 🙂

Graham

• Like 1

System specs...   CPU AMD5950,  GPU AMD6900XT,  ROG crosshair VIII Hero motherboard, Corsair 64 gig LPX 3600 mem, Air cooling on GPU,   Kraken x pump cooling on CPU.  Samsung G7 curved 27" monitor at 2k resolution ULTRA default settings.

3 hours ago, snwboardn said:

At this rate you will always be waiting. By the time 11th Gen launches Ryzen 6000 will be around the corner. When buying tech, there will always be something newer on the horizon.

Edited by suncoastflyer

P3Dv4 + XP11

MFS

I voted for the presidential candidate that made his entire campaign based on one goal: 
Ridding the world of Technology Scalpers!

Unfortunately, none of them ran on that platform...but I could personally guarantee if they did...they'd be sitting in the White House. 

What say ye? 🙂

(sadly, my F5 key broke a few seconds after the 3080 launch, a few milliseconds after the 3090 launch, a few microseconds after the AMD CPU launch...I expect it to break a few picoseconds after the AMD GPU launch...and will give up on buying anymore cutting edge tech for the foreseeable future at anything but 1000% above retail on ebay and craigslist. 😞

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

regarding the OP video in message #1,

Is the arrow pointing to 1% or .1% framerate (the video is such low resolution that I cannot read the label), i.e. the bottom bar is 1% or .1%?

BPNn5c6.jpg

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.