Sign in to follow this  
mtr75

Honeycomb's idea of customer service

Just wanted to share this. I own the Honeycomb Alpha. I was interested in the Bravo, but of course it's sold out. So I went on eBay to discover that people were scalping their pre-orders and jacking the price by as much as 3X. So, thinking that I was being helpful, I wrote to Honeycomb and told them what was going on, and that it would be easy to figure out who was scalping their products and ripping off customers (by looking at the order location).

Here is their response:

"Really Michael?

So, let me ask you, how do you know they ordered from us?  I can tell you they didn't.  They probably ordered from one of our retailers, and we've already told them to seek out such people and cancel their orders.

Besides, if you don't want to pay those inflated prices, then DON'T PAY THOSE INFLATED PRICES and if others follow suit then guess what?  The people doing that will have to take their losses.  It's not up to us."

So essentially their answer is, go fly a kite. Hands down the most obnoxious customer "service" response I've ever gotten from anyone.

So if you have to pay 3X the price to get their product, please be aware: Honeycomb couldn't care less.

Edited by mtr75
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mtr75 said:

Besides, if you don't want to pay those inflated prices, then DON'T PAY THOSE INFLATED PRICES and if others follow suit then guess what?  The people doing that will have to take their losses.

Spot on response from them, if you ask me.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, Greggy_D said:

What losses? I have two choices: get ripped off or don’t buy their product. And they are fine with that. Would you be fine with that choice for your customers?

mtr75,

I fail to see how you can hold Honeycomb accountable in this instance.  Do you apply the same principle to Nvidia for the scalpers selling their GPUs on ebay, along with all the other products in the world being extorted by greedy and/or unscrupulous people trying to make a buck anyway they can.

Quite rightly, you have the right to be indignant, and also you are most probably stranded with two hard choices as a result. Buy or don't buy.  Hang on a minute, there is really a third option here .... be patient and wait for stocks to become available.

In essence, you are requesting (if not demanding) that Honeycomb vet all their customers (including distributors) before sales of any quantity.  Not only is this, in my opinion, impossible, that procedure alone, would make the price of their product, probably more than the price one would pay for the "scalpers edition"

If this practice was extended to all products "scalped" you would probably be in a position where you could only buy certain products if you were rubbing shoulders with the likes of Bill Gates.

There is no win/win solution here for Honeycomb nor any products scalped on ebay and other sites. It all comes down, in the final analysis, to the obvious choices, as mentioned before. 

Blaming the manufacturers of any product, publicly, really does not reflect badly on them at all. That bad reflection, or perception, if you think about it, is reflected elsewhere.

I genuinely feel sorrow for those who simply 'Have to have it NOW"  but if anyone does need it right now, then I guess you just gotta pay the price and this is precisely the target that the scalpers are after and take advantage of.

It all boils down to choice.

Regards

Tony

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

It's all the same as with concert tix that are instantly bought by scalpers and then resold for a huge profit.  The initial seller is happy to sell their product, usually no matter who the buyer is.

Charlie Aron

AVSIM Board of Directors-Moderator-Registrar

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Probably won't be too much longer before there will be ample stock from reputable retailers like My Pilot Shop or Sporty's.  

• Like 1

Vic green

I have to admit that the wording of Honeycomb's responses to concerns leaves a lot to be desired. I don't know how @mtr75 worded their initial message to them, but having  been in touch with them myself about Amazon UK cancelling my order (twice), I found both their and Aerosoft's responses pretty curt and disinterested, despite Amazon being one of their recommended resellers. Frankly, they could have responded in a less confrontational manner, and should have done so even if mtr75's message wasn't so diplomatic. That's what customer service is supposed to do - be polite and helpful, even if they're tempted to be blunt.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

When I seen the opportunity to pre-order the Bravo throttle, I jumped on it with both feet.

I've been waiting patiently for several months, but I've been notified that I should get mine by the end of this month (WEEeeeee!!).

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Greggy_D said:

+1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

6 hours ago, mtr75 said:

They probably ordered from one of our retailers, and we've already told them to seek out such people and cancel their orders.

That is pretty point blank for me.  What else can they do?  nvidia has had

6 hours ago, mtr75 said:

if you don't want to pay those inflated prices, then DON'T PAY THOSE INFLATED PRICES and if others follow suit then guess what?  The people doing that will have to take their losses.  It's not up to us."

Spot on. If nobody bites on the gouging the  the gougers have to adjust.  That if they get their hands on the units in the first place.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

I think you most of you are missing the point being made. It is not the fact that they can't do much more than they are doing. It is the way they respond to a customer. That opening scentence is downright confrontational. I doubt you would talk like that to someone in front of you.

I don't believe in the customer is always right but I do believe in being polite and courteous to someone. Word your communication as if you were stood in front of them rather than being condescending. That reply could very easily convey the same message without the customer basically being told they are being stupid.

You actually see that tone on forums a lot too. It's much easier to come across that way when separated by a screen and keyboard.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, tutmeister said:

I think you most of you are missing the point being made. It is not the fact that they can't do much more than they are doing. It is the way they respond to a customer. That opening scentence is downright confrontational. I doubt you would talk like that to someone in front of you.

I don't believe in the customer is always right but I do believe in being polite and courteous to someone. Word your communication as if you were stood in front of them rather than being condescending. That reply could very easily convey the same message without the customer basically being told they are being stupid.

You actually see that tone on forums a lot too. It's much easier to come across that way when separated by a screen and keyboard.

I agree, but you might have hit a sore spot.

They have always been very polite with me when I contact them.

Well, we only have one side of a tale being told here...we have no idea what was said in the original e-mail to Honeycomb that elicited the response, if the quoted response was accurate or taken out of context, or if the response is part of a longer history that may have established a confrontational relationship between the developer and customer prior to this.  In any event, think it's something of a cheap play to publish one side of a private e-mail conversation, particularly when the other party is not present.

It is not fair or reasonable to expect a manufacturer to micromanage its retailers as the OP suggests he thinks they are somehow obligated to do.  They say they've refused to sell to scalpers, and have asked their retailers to do the same.  But to be clear, w/r/t their resellers, they are the manufacturer/wholesaler...they don't have any visibility into who their resellers ultimately sell to, and TBH, most resellers would not take kindly to that sort of attempted interference from a wholesale supplier.  I think everyone in the retail chain, especially in a small market like this, knows that scalping a scarce product is really detrimental to customer goodwill and product reputation, so it strikes me as a really unfair and far-fetched leap to cavalierly conclude that "they could care less" simply because they won't do it your way.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

The moral of the story is never, ever buy from scalpers. If they profit because people are so desperate to own a product they will pay any price it just feeds their greed and more people will jump on the bandwagon as it's an easy way to make money.

Leave them with their expensive purchases. The only way they can sell them is to lower the price to the same as the official retailers. One option for those prepared to pay stupid prices is to leave negative feedback which will damage the seller's reputation and may put off potential customers eventually forcing them to give up.

It's close to blackmail. Never pay the ransom. They are retail terrorists. Don't become the next victim. Sit on your hands and be patient as has been said by others.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke, Fulcrum TQ (pre-production).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

12 hours ago, 109Sqn said:

Frankly, they could have responded in a less confrontational manner, and should have done so even if mtr75's message wasn't so diplomatic

EXACTLY!!

It would have been better to word their reply along the lines of "We appreciate your concern in this matter, but there is nothing we can do. The product was purchased at the normal price, not stolen. THAT would be an ENTIRELY different matter! This scalping happens across the world whenever vultures see high demand for a product, whatever it may be."

• Like 1

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)