Sign in to follow this  
snglecoil

So with Honeycomb officially a “partner” ...

On 11/26/2020 at 6:55 PM, snglecoil said:

I'm sorry if my original post implied that Honeycomb was at fault. I can certainly see how it could be taken that way. I clearly understand the problem and know that it lies with the MSFS team. I reported the issue to Microsoft very early in testing. Several others have as well. Frankly, I've given up on the issue being addressed any time soon as it seems not to carry much priority relative to other pressing issues/wants of either the development team or the community at large.  Given the popularity of the Honeycomb product, I am disappointed, but not shocked. With the introduction of Honeycomb as one of the official partners, however, I was hopeful that perhaps it was addressed afterall. Given your information earlier, Dave, It is good to see that MSFS is aware of the issue. I had not seen an acknowledgement from the team elsewhere.

Thank you my friend, I really appreciate your response.

So, like I said, I've been around the community for a while, and I actually work with and for quite a number of different flight sim companies and I came aboard Honeycomb to help the CEO who has been a friend for a while.  By the way, he is a wonderful person, and he used to run a large part of Saitek. He knew our hardware could be much higher quality, have more capabilities, and cost a LOT less, and he put his money where his mouth was and started Honeycomb.  How's he doing so far?  I'd say he's shattered and surpassed all expectations.  And we're just getting started!

One day soon when I have a few minutes to spare (I've been working 80+ hour weeks at Honeycomb), I'll write more about this but for now let me tell you that it takes well over 2 years to get new products through all phases and schedule factory time. If you'll think really hard to when MSFS made their surprise announcement and you'll come up with last June. In fact the FS Expo was going on, and I was working the Aerosoft booth right next to Honeycomb on a Sunday when people came running to us to tell us MS had announced MSFS - SURPRISE!

Anyway, our Alpha production was already set for the future an the Bravo was already though most phases and getting ready to align with the production schedule which has to occur quite some time in advance.

Now, what do you guys think all those new and returning flight simmers did when MSFS was released?  That's right, they started buying flight sim hardware.  Which hardware do you think was most popular?  How about the higher quality units with far more functions and flexibility and less than half the cost of other units?  Yeah, it was Honeycomb.  But when we sold out people started buying up any other flight sim hardware they could get their hands on.  It's a universal problem now.

If MS had told software and hardware developers about MSFS at least a year sooner, we would have prepared better. 

Now look, I'm one of you and always will be, but I've also been on the business end of flight sim (and fighting for you guys all the way) so I know the other end of things really, really well and I'll tell you that things usually are not what them seem to end users.  Anyway, I will always, ALWAYS be honest with you guys, I always have, and I think my years long record for ethics and honest is pretty well established.

Now, we're working very hard to increase production, i mean it makes sense, right?  We want to sell our products as much as you want them - hey, that makes us partners with you guys too!  But the reality is that COVID is real and it's as much or more a threat than it ever has been and we will keep our employees and factory personnel safe, in fact you want us to!  So it's not easy guys, in fact it's a true ball buster right now.  Just trust that we're doing everything humanely possible and our incredible CEO Nicki Repenning has gone beyond humanely possible for you guys several times this year already, you just don't hear about it.

I hope this answers some questions for you guys... I'm off to spend some more time with my beautiful flight sim widow on this Thanksgiving.  I wish you all the very, very best.

Edited by DaveCT2003
  • Like 9

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Moderator edit :clipped unnecessarily long quote.

Great honest post, you sir are  much appreciated

• Upvote 1

Wayne such

Asus Hero Z690, Galax 3080 TI, I712700K, Kraken x72 CPU Cooled, 64 GIGS Corsair DDR5, 32 Inch 4K 

6 hours ago, loge said:

Does anyone know if it's possible to work around the on/on switch issue using FSUIPC?

I don't use FSUIPC myself but Steku normally pops up in these threads to tell everyone you can indeed work around it using FSUIPC.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, vgbaron said:

There are several a/c in P3D that act the same without the Honeycomb yoke. Altimeters that use 100ft for wheel and 1000ft for click.  Ditto using 1/10 with course adjustments. I suspect it was coded that way by Asobo.

Indeed, and if it is a problem associated with 'always on' type switches it will also potentially show up with the Saitek and CH Eclipse yokes, since each of those has this kind of switch too. I suspect, as Dave has alluded to, that it is an unintended consequence of a default mapping.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

6 hours ago, MarkDH said:

I suspect, as Dave has alluded to, that it is an unintended consequence of a default mapping.

I can assure you through extensive testing that it is not. 

Chris

On 11/26/2020 at 11:41 PM, loge said:

Does anyone know if it's possible to work around the on/on switch issue using FSUIPC?

It's not an ON-ON switch problem, but yes. Assuming FSUIPC7 works like previous versions you just need to make sure that for your toggle switches you don't have auto-repeat enabled, and that should do it. Unfortunately MSFS always auto-repeats when you hold a button down and this interferes with the acceleration feature on the heading bug adjustment (among other things).

Edited by MarkDH

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg

On 11/26/2020 at 7:27 PM, DaveCT2003 said:

Now, we're working very hard to increase production, i mean it makes sense, right?  We want to sell our products as much as you want them - hey, that makes us partners with you guys too!

Hi, Dave.  I checked out your Honeycomb products and am considering purchasing them in the near future.

Just out of curiosity, can you tell us where the hardware is manufactured?

Thanks.

Dave

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

On 11/27/2020 at 1:53 PM, snglecoil said:

I can assure you through extensive testing that it is not. 

No, you are right. I think I've figured it out now. Some controls can operate in 'fast' or 'slow' mode, but unfortunately it seems that all such controls will operate in 'fast' mode if the sim detects any button being held down. Since all buttons auto-repeat when held down and toggle switches are just buttons that hold themselves down, you should see the problem! So it's actually nothing to do with Honeycomb. if you want the detail, look here:

• Upvote 1

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg

46 minutes ago, MarkDH said:

Assuming FSUIPC7 works like previous versions you just need to make sure that for your toggle switches you don't have auto-repeat enabled, and that should do it.

Thanks.  I had the same problem with a custom controller I just made (using a Leo Bodnar board).  I just bought FSUIPC7, mapped the on/off switch using FSUIPC rather than MSFS, and the problem went away.  It seems to be fine to have other switches (rotary encoders for hdg etc. and pushbuttons) mapped in MSFS.

Confident now that if I buy a Honeycomb yoke I won't have the problem.  Now just need to find one...

Edited by loge

3 hours ago, MarkDH said:

No, you are right. I think I've figured it out now. Some controls can operate in 'fast' or 'slow' mode, but unfortunately it seems that all such controls will operate in 'fast' mode if the sim detects any button being held down. Since all buttons auto-repeat when held down and toggle switches are just buttons that hold themselves down, you should see the problem! So it's actually nothing to do with Honeycomb. if you want the detail, look here:

Perfectly demonstrated, sir.

Chris

Dave, thanks for all your great work, and I'm excited to have my hands on a Bravo within the next week or so.

Question for you (and I did a quick search on this per your suggestion but didn't see it in the first 15 results), but you mentioned 5 months of backordering. I ordered the Alpha from Flight Velocity back on Sept 1st, so does that mean I should expect it to ship around Feb? 

I'm flying with an old CH Flight Sim Yoke, which is "fine", just excited to get my hands on an Alpha especially since my Reverb G2 came this week and the yoke is the final piece of hardware to complete my cockpit.

Thanks!

4 hours ago, MarkDH said:

But surely given there is an official Partnership with a peripheral developer, Asobo could have fixed this in the last 7 updates.  Especially if they are going to put out a Partnership video touting "PERFECT COMPATIBILITY".

So the question is, what does it mean to have a 'Partnership' with Microsoft/Asobo?  Is the goal to actually make a better sim?  Or is it just a mutual advertising agreement where both parties toot each other's horns a bit with the YouTube Influencer crowd?

Aerosoft is a 'Partner' on the SDK development and they seem to have direct access to the developers at Asobo, to the point where they said on their forums that they can see which people at Asobo are on Instant Messaging at 11pm at night.  Why doesn't Honeycomb get the same level of support out of their 'Partnership' in getting issues like this fixed?

AMD 3950X | 64GB RAM | AMD 5700XT | CH Fighterstick / Pro Throttle / Pro Pedals

On 11/27/2020 at 7:20 AM, spacedyemeerkat said:

I don't use FSUIPC myself but Steku normally pops up in these threads to tell everyone you can indeed work around it using FSUIPC.

And here I am 😉

Honeycomb Alpha Yoke is properly supported by FSUIPC, no more 10-deg heading bug bug. And even more annoying trim acceleration bug, altitude setting bug etc. 

For assigning magneto right, both, start - read this:

https://forum.simflight.com/topic/90277-input-from-buttons-32-127-not-recognized/

Edited by Steku
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, dave2013 said:

Hi, Dave.  I checked out your Honeycomb products and am considering purchasing them in the near future.

Just out of curiosity, can you tell us where the hardware is manufactured?

Thanks.

Dave

It's no secret, people post photos of the boxes all the time.  Our production facilities are located in China.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.