Sign in to follow this  
OzWhitey

Any Oculus Users Having Success?

24 minutes ago, redshift27 said:

Get Oculus Tray Tool and play around. Climb into the steam gauge Cub. Don't choose EGLL or KFJK for your first attempt, go out into the sticks. Switch MSFS into Windowed mode so you can easily flip between MSFS and OTT. Try MSFS render settings even as low as 50 or 60 and SS in OTT at e.g. 1.5. Don't be afraid. No one is going to know. These are the key two numbers in "Setting Your Experience".

(If you want to change SS in OTT you should jump out of VR first, change the SS and then jump back in. You can change Render percentage on the fly in VR, also ASW settings.)

Switch on the Performance HUD in OTT and turn ASW off so you can see latency and what fps you can achieve. You will notice that the lower you drop the render rate in MSFS, the lower the latency and the "lighter" your headset will feel as you move your head. With higher latency it feels heavier and draggy.

Find your sweet spot of render settings + SS: without question I think an SS of 1.3 to 1.5 looks better than leaving SS at 1.0 and having a higher render percentage. Depending on your CPU and GPU you will find your own sweet spot.

Once you have found your sweet spot in resolution, and an fps above 30-35, hopefully 40, turn off the Performance HUD and (this is the most important) set ASW to 30fps in OTT. (For the Rift S this will actually produce 27.5fps). Now never look at fps again. Capping MSFS to ASW 30fps will reduce stutters and the Oculus ASW is very good at this frequency for civilian flight sims. You DON'T NEED the 45fps setting, you will be struggling to hold this frame rate consistently and it will stutter sooner or later.

If you are still stuttering air 30fps, you need to reduce other settings. Turn down render percentage further.  Volumetric clouds are the other biggest culprits. Try Medium or even Low. 

It is quite educational to play around with all the other graphics settings, and indeed it is easier in VR as you can click "Apply" and just look sideways out of the cockpit to instantly see the effect on your image. Many settings actually do very little for the experience, and if you find you cannot really tell much difference with something on a higher setting, turn it down and save those processor cycles.

Good post, lots of quality info there.

The only thing I disagree with is the assertion that you don't need 45 FPS for flight sim. I'd nuance that by saying that 30 FPS is far from ideal - people will head more motion sickness at 30 FPS than at 90 FPS, and flying will not feel as smooth - but that in MSFS at the moment, 30 FPS may be all that you can get with any degree of stability.

Stuttering is bad, particularly for new users who do not yet have their "VR legs". I find that a lot of people give up on VR too quickly, based on the unpleasant side effects (nausea, headaches etc). Low and uneven frame rates are a big part of this. So, yes, turn down your sliders! 

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

Finally got quest 1 working well with only occasional jitter, used open xr and set registry to point to the oculus driver, not bad at all. Find steam VR tries to take over so I log out of steam

Wayne such

Asus Hero Z690, Galax 3080 TI, I712700K, Kraken x72 CPU Cooled, 64 GIGS Corsair DDR5, 32 Inch 4K 

3 hours ago, redshift27 said:

set ASW to 30fps in OTT.

I now have the Oculus Tray Tool, but I can't see how to set the FPS to 30. Under "Default ASW Mode" the only settings I can see are: auto, off and 45fps. Also, if I have limited my FPS to 30 in Nvidia settings, do I also need to do it in the OTT?

I gave VR two goes. Having been a very keen VRerer I was of course keen to get it in MSFS. The first try lasted 3-4 minutes. The difference between the graphic goodness of a monitor and the sludge of my Oculus Rift S was too great.

The next day I thought maybe I was being too harsh, so I gave it another go...

I was right the first time. The Rift is now back in it's box.

To my mind, DCS is the only sim to utilise VR properly. Both in the quality of the graphics and the UI.

As I've already thrown $800 at Zuckerberg I don't feel inclined to throw any more to anyone.

Better spent on a Fulcrum yoke!

Happy whatever it is you celebrate. 🙂

• Like 1

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

1 hour ago, Ian C said:

I now have the Oculus Tray Tool, but I can't see how to set the FPS to 30. Under "Default ASW Mode" the only settings I can see are: auto, off and 45fps. Also, if I have limited my FPS to 30 in Nvidia settings, do I also need to do it in the OTT?

Perhaps you do not have the latest version of OTT. I am on 0.86.8.0

nVidia settings will only apply to your monitor, not to your HMD

Edited by redshift27

I'm not sure what I did, but now it's smooth. Yesterday was a stuttery mess, today completely smooth with the default settings. I've even managed to crank up some of the quality settings dramatically and it's still almost as smooth. Rift S and a 1070.

The only thing I did was change the ASW to 30hz in the Occulus Tray Tool. Maybe it was that? Was there an update I missed? I dunno.

13 minutes ago, andreh said:

The only thing I did was change the ASW to 30hz in the Occulus Tray Tool  

“It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing … such a little thing.“

17 minutes ago, redshift27 said:

“It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing … such a little thing.“

Never heard a truer word.

EDIT: Oh, you're talking about something else. Sorry. 😷

Edited by Ron Attwood

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

2 hours ago, redshift27 said:

Perhaps you do not have the latest version of OTT. I am on 0.86.8.0

nVidia settings will only apply to your monitor, not to your HMD

OK thanks - I'll check the version.

On 12/22/2020 at 2:27 PM, OzWhitey said:

I've tried the Rift S and the Quest 2 (via Link). In both cases, MSFS says "Error: headset not detected" when I try to switch to VR mode.

Anyone else got this working with an Oculus HMD?

I got it working the very first time I pressed CTRL-TAB.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

27 minutes ago, WarpD said:

Same here: bought MSFS Premium Deluxe yesterday from MS Shop, download took the whole night. Today, after the first coffee, I fired up the Oculus software, started MSFS, hit CTRL-TAB, took my Rift-S and the main menu was there immediately. Without any issue I could start the first tutorial using the mouse. Then I found myself in the C152 cockpit over Sedona. So far, flawless performance & wonderful sightseeing.

Michael

Michael Thesen

MSFS, HP Reverb G2, Gigabyte B760 32Gb, Samsung 970 EVO, Geforce RTX 4070-TI, Win11, i7-14700KF, Thrustmaster T16000M, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals

I have noticed something recently. Being someone who enjoys a can of beer once in a while I have always found it a bit difficult to take a swig while wearing my Quest 2. My wife came home the other day and she had to get bottles for some reason. WOW! What a difference. I can now have many bottles of beer while flying and I now don't even have to raise my Rift even a little! If you drink canned beer now is the time to retry bottled, makes life WAY easier. 

Hope I could of helped some people out with my experiences.....

Fly on!!

• Like 1

ROG MAXIMUS X HERO, Intel Core i7 8700K, 32 GB's 3200 RAM, Gigabyte RTX3080,

6 hours ago, andreh said:

I'm not sure what I did, but now it's smooth. Yesterday was a stuttery mess, today completely smooth with the default settings. I've even managed to crank up some of the quality settings dramatically and it's still almost as smooth. Rift S and a 1070.

The only thing I did was change the ASW to 30hz in the Occulus Tray Tool. Maybe it was that? Was there an update I missed? I dunno.

Just for info, setting ASW in OTT to 30hz significantly improved P3D 4.5 as well. Never had such a smooth ride in VR before. Rift S

4 hours ago, WarpD said:

That means your registry had the correct entry in OpenXR for MSFS. Many others don’t, necessitating a direct registry alteration. I think we’ve now very clearly established why this particular problem occurs.

MSFS is the only VR program I’ve seen that has this issue. At any rate, the cause of connection failure is now well documented and not too hard to sort out - for anyone still experiencing this, specific instructions are listed earlier in this thread.

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."