Sign in to follow this  
zry

VR - express your firsts impressions

3 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

It's not control tab. It's simply tab.

That worked. My dumb self didn’t rich that in the key assignments.

im now trying to figure out the depth key assignment. I use Alt+up/down but the the camera only goes up and down. I understand it as depth means forward and backward.

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

33 minutes ago, Gildahl said:

Can you specify your equipment and your settings.  If it is really "super fluid" there must be some magic that I'm missing as I'm running on an 5 Ghz i9/2080Ti and my performance in all other VR games is superb on this system.

There is absolutely no magic, it sounds your problem could be a bad steamVR setup. In msfs i use clouds, textures & windshield on Ultra

and antialiasing set to TXAA. Everythig else is on off or low, medium or high. I run my index at 90Hz with motion smoothing off.

Edited by Nedo68
typo

19 minutes ago, Nedo68 said:

There is absolutely no magic, it sounds your problem could be a bad steamVR setup. In msfs i use clouds, textures & windshield on Ultra

and antialiasing set to TXAA. Everythig else is on off or low, medium or high. I run my index at 90Hz with motion smoothing off.

Well couple experiments.  First of all, my motion smoothing is always turned off.  I learned to do that a long time ago.  Also, after viewing your video, I took a look at the stereo image on my screen while flying in VR and interestingly enough it was as smooth as yours.  So that tells me that the view on the screen is not representative of what one sees in the headset as far as performance goes.  If possible, could you show an image or video of your Steam VR performance graph while running.  Mine is strongly pegged to orange, and I'm already on very low settings.  

3 minutes ago, Gildahl said:

Well couple experiments.  First of all, my motion smoothing is always turned off.  I learned to do that a long time ago.  Also, after viewing your video, I took a look at the stereo image on my screen while flying in VR and interestingly enough it was as smooth as yours.  So that tells me that the view on the screen is not representative of what one sees in the headset as far as performance goes.  If possible, could you show an image or video of your Steam VR performance graph while running.  Mine is strongly pegged to orange, and I'm already on very low settings.  

Hi, i will try to do a new record, but if your stereo image is smooth so should be your HMD view. something is faulty

3 minutes ago, Nedo68 said:

Hi, i will try to do a new record, but if your stereo image is smooth so should be your HMD view. something is faulty

Yes, that is precisely the problem, and the one others seem to be reporting.  For example, the developer mode reports a locked in 45FPS (which in X-Plane VR is nice and smooth), but in the headset what I'm seeing is clearly much lower.  I do believe you when you say it is smooth in your Index headset, but just can't figure out what the discrepancy is.  Did you purchase FS in Steam?  I purchased mine from the MS store, so I don't launch it from Steam, which makes me wonder if that has anything to do with it.  When you installed, did you do anything special other than turn on the Steam VR Beta?  For example, I'm assuming that for Index we don't need to download/install OpenXR or anything like that.

1 minute ago, Gildahl said:

Yes, that is precisely the problem, and the one others seem to be reporting.  For example, the developer mode reports a locked in 45FPS (which in X-Plane VR is nice and smooth), but in the headset what I'm seeing is clearly much lower.  I do believe you when you say it is smooth in your Index headset, but just can't figure out what the discrepancy is.  Did you purchase FS in Steam?  I purchased mine from the MS store, so I don't launch it from Steam, which makes me wonder if that has anything to do with it.  When you installed, did you do anything special other than turn on the Steam VR Beta?  For example, I'm assuming that for Index we don't need to download/install OpenXR or anything like that.

i bought the DVD version, and in steam nothing special beside in SteamVR beta mode. What resolution are you running in the HMD?

Could it be you running a to high render scale in SteamVR?

No, I've tried lowering, but it has no meaningful effect on the results.  I mean, as it is my graphics are down to a muddy mess that looks worse than X-Plane, so it would be pointless to go further.  If you bought on DVD, then clearly you didn't buy on Steam, so that makes it even more mysterious.

Edited by Gildahl

14 hours ago, Gildahl said:

No, I've tried lowering, but it has no meaningful effect on the results.  I mean, as it is my graphics are down to a muddy mess that looks worse than X-Plane, so it would be pointless to go further.  If you bought on DVD, then clearly you didn't buy on Steam, so that makes it even more mysterious.

Gildahl there was a SteamVR Hotfix a few hours ago and this could be your problem since you run a 20xx card.

I have zero problems with my Index but i run a 3090, please check this out:

SteamVR Hotfix 1.15.16
SteamVR has been updated with the following changes.

If you encounter issues with this update, please post in the SteamVR Bug Report forum. If possible, please include a system report to aid in tracking down your issue. Replies to this post are not tracked for bug reporting purposes. Please use the forum linked above to report issues.

Note: Some users with NVIDIA GPUs are experiencing dropped frames with SteamVR 1.15. If you encounter this issue on a 10xx or 20xx card, consider rolling back your GPU drivers to 446.14. This resolved the issue for many people.

Oculus:
  • Fixed issue with head position on Quest and Quest 2 that appeared in 1.15.15.
Edited by Nedo68

2 hours ago, Nedo68 said:

Gildahl there was a SteamVR Hotfix a few hours ago and this could be your problem since you run a 20xx card.

I have zero problems with my Index but i run a 3090, please check this out:

SteamVR Hotfix 1.15.16
SteamVR has been updated with the following changes.

If you encounter issues with this update, please post in the SteamVR Bug Report forum. If possible, please include a system report to aid in tracking down your issue. Replies to this post are not tracked for bug reporting purposes. Please use the forum linked above to report issues.

Note: Some users with NVIDIA GPUs are experiencing dropped frames with SteamVR 1.15. If you encounter this issue on a 10xx or 20xx card, consider rolling back your GPU drivers to 446.14. This resolved the issue for many people.

Oculus:
  • Fixed issue with head position on Quest and Quest 2 that appeared in 1.15.15.

Thanks for the suggestions.  I was already on 1.15.16 since Steam VR gets updated automatically.  I had heard that rolling back the GPU driver might help but hadn't tried that yet--so upon your suggestion, I went ahead and tried it.  While I *think* I see a subtle improvement, it is unfortunately too little to matter.  

VR - express your first impressions: (Oculus Rift S)

Plus:

+ Cockpits look quite good at a 100% render setting, sharpness of text could be better. 

+ When close to clouds and trees they don't turn around when you turn your head unlike in DCS. Good point.

+ Windows can be dragged to the place where you want them. Cool for like the ATC window. I just drag it down onto my lap.

+ Quite smooth ride when looking forward.

Min:

- Irregular annoying short white flash, reminds of the lightning bug with live weather but is also there with preset clear weather. Switching to 2D and the white flash is gone.  

- Not so smooth ride when looking left and right, scenery passing by can be stuttery, certainly when there are a lot of objects/detail to render. Sometimes this causes a rowing boat effect. Gets better once above 1000ft.

- Water on lakes looked like the sea in 2D but is even more noticable in VR.

- Edges and the edges of the windows from the cockpit can become a bit "jelly" sometimes.

- Clouds don't look that good imo. Not even in Ultra setting. Compared to the rest of the scenery is't one blurry mess. Edges flicker to much. 2D has far more better clouds. Maybe playing around with the settings will improve.

- Just flew around NYC in the Robin. Building textures on the glass skyscrapers (even at ultra) are horrible (same as in 2D). They represent a reflection from the street/scenery below but i find that just plain ugly.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base & hegykc MFG Crosswind modded pedals, TrackIR4, no more VR

Your assessment seems spot-on.  I've been doing a lot of cross comparison with X-Plane 11.5 (Vulkan build) lately.  For the last few months going back to XP from FS2020 in 2D feels like going back in time.  FS2020 is just amazing in comparison (avionics excepted), and X-Plane's dated look is clearly evident--though with a good set of orthos and a few plug-ins it is in its own way quite nice and VFR worthy.  However, in VR I find the tables are completely turned.  When I go from FS2020 back to XP in VR, X-Plane feels remarkably solid and professional in comparison.  Good and stable framerates, (mostly) great motion controller support, graphics that are actually pretty well matched to the current resolution standards of VR, and a maturity (in the good way) that shows and feels like something you could train in.  So currently for me, MSFS2020 is leading in 2D, but XP is the easy winner in VR since to get performance and quality of experience anywhere close to XP, one has to turn off almost every visual advantage FS has over XP and still not get there. 

• Upvote 1

On 12/22/2020 at 10:43 PM, YoYo said:

btw. did you notice boxed wheels on external view in VR mode? 😁 How to solve it?

Yep, I also have that problem but we are the only one I think LOL. Even on the MSFS forum I can't find another one complaining about it. 

7 hours ago, Lange_666 said:

+ When close to clouds and trees they don't turn around when you turn your head unlike in DCS. Good point.

The trees do look good from a distance above especially when the sun/shadows lay on a dense area of them.

Get too far up close and they look like the same 2d hollow paper as FSX.

As for clouds i feel they look horrible...so horrible my REX Clouds in FSX look much better.

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

6 hours ago, blueshark747 said:

As for clouds i feel they look horrible...so horrible my REX Clouds in FSX look much better.

If you read my negatives, you'll see that i find them ugly as well.

Also, i don't talk about how good they look in the positive points, only just about the fact that they don't turn around (pivot around vertical axis) as they do in DCS.  

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base & hegykc MFG Crosswind modded pedals, TrackIR4, no more VR

Can I run the MS Store bought version of MSFS via Steam VR?  I can't ever seem to get the sim to show up in a list of games (searching for non-steam)

on the computer.  Can anyone point me to a guide.  I have 16 gb of ram and a 1080ti, and so far WMR without openXR seems to be the best for me.