Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

zry

VR - express your firsts impressions

15 hours ago, hatchna said:

I've been using VR in MSFS since the VR beta in October. I'm as blown away now as I was then. The immersion you feel in flight is like nothing I've ever experienced outside of real time in an aircraft. ...... but I have to say that it's hard for me to not put my headset on when flying anymore."

exactly what I wanted to say. VR gives us a low cost home cockpit replacement not just for one, but for all aircraft models, and then some! I am sure MSFS is a major boost for VR gaming in general.

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

4 hours ago, Tonyp23 said:

I think (control +Tab) brings up the menu.

Hhhmmm... I’ll give that a try.

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

50 minutes ago, ahsmatt7 said:

Hhhmmm... I’ll give that a try.

It's not control tab. It's simply tab.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

2 hours ago, Ian C said:

I've downloaded and installed OpenXR (I think) - but I can't see how to access the app or the settings. I can't find it on my PC (when I search for it).

You need to download Developer Tools for OpenXR from the Store to access those settings: https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/p/openxr-developer-tools-for-windows-mixed-reality/9n5cvvl23qbt?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

32 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

It's not control tab. It's simply tab.

Haha thanks. Luckily I haven’t had a chance to do it yet. Thanks man!

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

7 hours ago, spacedyemeerkat said:

Using an Index here through SteamVR, on a 3090, 8700k (4.9Ghz) and 32gb. My impression is that something isn't right. Head movement is incredibly juddery, on the lowest settings, reminding me of old-school rubber banding, although the frame rate itself feels okay. If I up all graphics settings to the max, it feels like there's no different to the frame rate at all.

It's perplexing, frankly. And befuddling 😁

I agree 100%.  I think Index support is seriously broken at the moment.   IMO it is just not usable at this time.    

28 minutes ago, Gildahl said:

I agree 100%.  I think Index support is seriously broken at the moment.   IMO it is just not usable at this time.    

abolutely no i use the Index and it runs super fluid for me see one of my videos: https://youtu.be/A7dHx8EEvlg

8 minutes ago, Nedo68 said:

abolutely no i use the Index and it runs super fluid for me see one of my videos: https://youtu.be/A7dHx8EEvlg

It seems people are having wildly divergent experiences, with some, usually after a few false starts, finally dialing it in until they are satisfied, and others absolutely certain that Asobo has dropped the ball, and the whole thing stinks.

I expect there will be a lot of setup guides appearing.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

It works really well for me. No issues whatsoever, except that my humble 1070 can't keep up. Although it could be a matter of optimization. I get acceptable performance in P3D with PMDG birds with that card.

31 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

It seems people are having wildly divergent experiences, with some, usually after a few false starts, finally dialing it in until they are satisfied, and others absolutely certain that Asobo has dropped the ball, and the whole thing stinks.

I expect there will be a lot of setup guides appearing.

I imagine a set-up guide will be useful for VR virgins. 

I have several years of experience personally and can't shake the feeling something fishy is going on. When performance is identical for me whether on ultra or low, something isn't right somewhere. Not for everyone with an Index, no, but certainly for some.

I don't think the situation "stinks", it is what it is, and I can't necessarily point the finger at Asobo. It'll shake out eventually I imagine.

1 hour ago, Nedo68 said:

Can you specify your equipment and your settings.  If it is really "super fluid" there must be some magic that I'm missing as I'm running on an 5 Ghz i9/2080Ti and my performance in all other VR games is superb on this system.

1 hour ago, Nedo68 said:

Hahahahahah!!! I was watching your video, and my eyes automatically crossed so that I was watching it in 3D! 😋

Devons rig

Right, I have news! The major culprit in my setup (Valve Index, 3090, i7 8700k, 32gb) was 'motion smoothing' being enabled in SteamVR. With that turned off either globally or on a per application basis the strange smeary propellor was fixed and, more importantly, the majority of jerkiness and rubber banding present in head movement disappeared.

I knew something strange was going on because the stereo image on the monitor was absolutely fine.

Anyway, if you've been having problems with nausea-inducing rubberbanding, give it a go!

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.