Sign in to follow this  
cavaricooper

Instrument Knob Control- advice sought please

It's a well known bug, I would not expect a fix soon. Any yoke or other HID device with continuous-on switches assigned in the sim will cause this, for example the Alpha Yoke. Workaround: assigning such switches not in the sim but using external tool, like FSUIPC. For the 3 rightmost positions of the magneto switch on the Alpha, you will need LUA script for FSUIPC, search the FSUIPC support forum.

On 1/3/2021 at 12:52 PM, cavaricooper said:

Lately (perhaps coinciding with the latest Sim update) I have been unable to tune my instruments (especially HSI/VOR CRS knob) in one degree increments.  It seems to default to 10. It's driving me absolutely batty!  I've checked my mouse settings and they are all set to 1 click not 3. Is there a solution I'm overlooking? 

To add to the head scratching- on the ground I can tune 1 degree at a time.. but not airborne.  Baffled.

Ta- C

Look at the following video for a comprehensive explanation. In a nutshell, you likely have at least one toggle switch mapped to an MSFS function. The only way around it is to unmap that (those) switch(es) or to map them using a system that doesn't auto-repeat switches when they are held down (e.g. FSUIPC, SPAD.neXt).

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

27 minutes ago, 177B said:

As long as I have no "continuously connected" switches I have 1º mouse wheel response.

As soon as I have a peripheral like Alpha Yoke "continuous" switches on then I get 10º jumps.

I am waiting for a fix from ASOBO on this, it works fine in X-plane so it should be fixable.

Thanks @177B , @Steku and @MarkDH, I am still experimenting, but moving my parking brake to FSUIPC solved this for me.  Still, like @raymar the issue comes and goes for me, so I will keep checking to verify- but it seems promising.

Also now looking at @Lorby_SI's new https://axisandohs.weebly.com/ program, that seems to have more timely MSFS support than FSUIPC.  Will investigate this further, the Dowsons have accompanied me on every flight for years now, but the MSFS support from Oliver seems much snappier on the surface.  

Stay Tuned- and ASOBO- if you are reading this... @spokes2112 seems to have hit the nail on the head- please clean up this basic code.

Ta- C

• Upvote 1

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

@raymar

Ray- if you have time, try deleting the persistent button assignments in MSFS (my only one causing the issue was the Parking Brake).  That seems to have fixed the problem for me (3 flights so far), fingers x'ed!

C

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

How do I find the "persistent button assignments"?  Sound good.

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

21 minutes ago, raymar said:

How do I find the "persistent button assignments"?  Sound good.

Anything assigned to a switch on your controller such that it is sending a constant 'button pressed' signal to the sim (shows up as button pressed in Windows Game Controller window constantly).

For instance, the Honeycomb yoke has 'ON/ON' toggle switches that send a constant button press for both sides of the switch. 

There is a bug in the sim where if a switch is pressed, it causes the knobs to only rotate in large increments.

Funny that it hasn't been fixed and they tout the "full compatibility" of the Honeycomb hardware in the MSFS Partner Video.

Edited by marsman2020
  • Like 2

AMD 3950X | 64GB RAM | AMD 5700XT | CH Fighterstick / Pro Throttle / Pro Pedals

7 hours ago, Steku said:

It's a well known bug, I would not expect a fix soon. Any yoke or other HID device with continuous-on switches assigned in the sim will cause this, for example the Alpha Yoke. Workaround: assigning such switches not in the sim but using external tool, like FSUIPC. For the 3 rightmost positions of the magneto switch on the Alpha, you will need LUA script for FSUIPC, search the FSUIPC support forum.

Or just use vjoy and joystick gremlin, much better solution especially if using the bravo with the alpha. 

Personally - I am not convinced that the SimConnect API is 100% stable with MSFS right now, at least some people have reported CTDs when using external tools.  If you look at the SDK documentation for the SimConnect variables, they basically tested if they can be read or written and that's it, I don't think this interface is getting full stability or regression testing with each sim update. 

The idea of using vJoy+Joystick Gremlin to do all the scripting through the virtual joystick interface vs SimConnect seems like a good one.

Edited by marsman2020
  • Like 1

I use the keyboard to set the A/P HDG knob since it's easier than playing with the mouse and trying not to zoom the screen in and out, etc.

But then sometimes HDG selector starts spinning uncontrollably, and then everything else in the cockpit stops working ... ???

Edited by NightOfDreams

19 minutes ago, NightOfDreams said:

I use the keyboard to set the A/P HDG knob since it's easier than playing with the mouse and trying not to zoom the screen in and out, etc.

But then sometimes HDG selector starts spinning uncontrollably, and then everything else in the cockpit stops working ... ???

Does your keyboard keep working when this happens?  Could be you are seeing a USB connection dropout for some reason.  If it drops out in a 'pressed' state, and misses the 'released' state being sent over USB, the key will continue being pressed until the device reconnects and you press/release the key again.

58 minutes ago, marsman2020 said:

Does your keyboard keep working when this happens?  Could be you are seeing a USB connection dropout for some reason.  If it drops out in a 'pressed' state, and misses the 'released' state being sent over USB, the key will continue being pressed until the device reconnects and you press/release the key again.

The keyboard isn't the issue because even the buttons on the top (checklist, weather, etc) stop responding to mouse clicks.

Edited by NightOfDreams

I have asked Oliver if he can attempt to intercept and clean up the Asobo code like FSUIPC used to do in FS2000. They had a tick box to accomplish this and stop the flooding- perhaps when Oliver has time, he can delve into this further.

Asobo- are you reading this?  PLEASE clean up your code.

Thanks!

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

Ok... I ended up using the old standby FSUIPC to resolve this.  I'm sure that A&O can accomplish the same, as my flailing was directly attributable to gross stupidity on my part. The drama is undeniably Asobo's issue, as my PFC Console sends a constant button press whenever I put the Gear Handle UP.  This floods Asobo's archaic (in this area) code with a command that apparently causes the 10 degree issue. Asobo- PLEASE FIX!

My idea of removing GEAR UP or GEAR TOGGLE from that lever, and just assigning "G" in the Keyboard menu, and then using FSUIPC to send "G" (without being held) was the solution.  What caused further consternation at my end, was the fact that I overlooked that there was still a "Gear Up and Gear Down command in the MSFS control menu (I use several PFC Quadrant profiles as I have multiple TQs that bolt on to my console).  One of those profiles (naturally the one I was using), was not cleaned up and the commands were still mapped to the lever position.  Once I was prodded by John Dowson, it all became clear, and presto- Bob's your Uncle!

I say all this, with egg on my face, so that if there are others struggling with this 10 degree issue, they too can confidently use the method mentioned (as suggested by the video and others in this thread).  My issues were self created (here, as mostly the case elsewhere).

Thanks to all involved!

C

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper