Sign in to follow this  
HighBypass

Train Sim anyone...?

22 hours ago, Dominique_K said:

What does thrill you in a train simulation 😃 ? 

.... I'm not sure. Me personally? Perhaps the enjoyment to be had from the simulation of operating powerful machinery. Relaxing just watching the scenery roll by (assuming the graphics are good enough ... until you need to alter the throttle or the brakes which leads me to.... The challenge of the timetable; trying to bring thousands of tons of freight or a hefty/fast passenger train to a stop or slow to the posted track speed. 🍻

• Like 1

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

22 hours ago, Dominique_K said:

Maybe the simulators are much better now, more complex. What does thrill you in a train simulation 😃 ? 

Construction. Making something from nothing. More realistically, taking various components or models and turning them into a small town, factory, siding, etc. Terraforming, landscaping,, etc.

You're right, actually running the train gets boring real fast. I bought Trainz 2019 and occasionally add onto a small layout I've been building. Change of pace from when flying gets stale.

• Like 1

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe

On 1/14/2021 at 8:42 AM, radorabatin said:

Imagine ASOBO making new TrainSim!

Rado

And then imagine it working correctly...🙂

• Like 2

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

6 minutes ago, W2DR said:

And then imagine it working correctly...🙂

I’m not a 40 years experienced FS user :-), only 15 years of experience, and to be honest..latest release is the best, even though it has issues, but as a very complex peace of software I wouldn’t expect it to be “bugless”...and I don’t want to speculate about possible reasons behind maybe rushed release...But as I foundation for future expansion it just great....and with this potential the possible Train Sim would be something unbelievable 🙂

Rado

• Upvote 1

Rado

i7 4770K@4,1Ghz HT on since release of MSFS
1080 Ti 11GB 
32GB DDR3 RAM
Samsung SSDs

12 hours ago, HighBypass said:

I don't know if the sims feature that level of "creativity"! :cool:

LOL Mark. I know nothing about train sims. I was combining real trains vs sims in my post  MY BAD!!!!!!!

Edited by Paul Deluca
  • Like 1

I do TrainSim from time to time as well, but lately I have been more into both American Truck Sim and European Truck Sim

Matthew Kane

16 hours ago, Paul Deluca said:

MY BAD!!!!!!!

No not bad, it just adds to the discussion! :cool:

Mark Robinson

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

I used a CH fighterstick USB for all the dovetail trainsims. Because with CH Control Manager you can put keyboard commands onto their flight controller buttons and hats. No problem at all. Reverser, Throttle, Brakes, views, couple/uncouple etc. It was all programmed onto my fighterstick and CH Pro throttle. I laid the keyboard aside, I did not need it. I could do it all on the HOTAS stick and throttle.

Any thing that runs with keyboard keys can be put onto CH controllers. I do not have any problems under windows 10 using CH CM as long as I do not map the controllers together but instead just map them separately.

Edited by Fielder
  • Upvote 1

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

I have Train sim and can't use it. 15 mph through 50 miles of terrain drives me nuts. I love trains and would enjoy this but it isn't my cuppa tea. 

• Upvote 1

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

On 1/17/2021 at 5:49 AM, Fielder said:

I used a CH fighterstick USB for all the dovetail trainsims. Because with CH Control Manager you can put keyboard commands onto their flight controller buttons and hats. No problem at all. Reverser, Throttle, Brakes, views, couple/uncouple etc. It was all programmed onto my fighterstick and CH Pro throttle. I laid the keyboard aside, I did not need it. I could do it all on the HOTAS stick and throttle.

Any thing that runs with keyboard keys can be put onto CH controllers. I do not have any problems under windows 10 using CH CM as long as I do not map the controllers together but instead just map them separately.

Can it run with throttle axis? As I tried before with TSW, they doesn't work.

Did any of you play Railroad Tycoon?  Railroad Tycoon 2/3?  The first RRT was one of my go-to's back in the 90's.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

I had a brief dabble with A-Train, but no RRT :wink:

6 hours ago, C2615 said:

Can it run with throttle axis? ....

I cannot say for certain as I only have an XBOX controller hooked up for TS2021. Yes the triggers on the controller are proportional, however the sim only advances the throttle by detents or increments, run 1 to run 8. This is on diesel and electric locos (Dash 8, or German ICE for example) - I've not got back into the steam locos yet.. (I really must get around to buying the 9f and the Bullied Q1 - my favourite British steam engines)

• Like 1

Mark Robinson

I find that train sim is an ideal thing to do for an hour with a large strong cup of tea on my desk, quite relaxing yet stimulating at the same time.

A mate of mine has recently retired from train driving, he arranged for to spend an afternoon on theIf full size voyager simulator. That was good fun, I came around a corner doing 100mph on icy rails to find a horse loose on the track.

• Like 2

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

2 hours ago, jon b said:

to find a horse loose on the track.

Can you eat or sell any "railkill"? :unsure: They eat horses in France, but I don't think horsemeat is on our export list..

Mark Robinson