Sign in to follow this  
HighBypass

Train Sim anyone...?

On 1/20/2021 at 5:45 PM, C2615 said:

Can it run with throttle axis? As I tried before with TSW, they doesn't work.

Yes, it can run with throttle axis. Train throttles in real life are 'step' and not 'continuous' so an axis would have to keep 'pushing' and 'releasing' the keyboard advance throttle key as you move the CH throttle lever in one direction. And the retard throttle key as you move the CH throttle lever in the other direction. It's not very hard to do program that, CH Control Manager has that sort of action built right in.  But it is hard to get it working for the case where you move the throttle lever (the actual CH Pro throttle) fast or slowly.

I have tried to program exactly that for Trainsim from time to time and never got it stable. In the old days when Bob Church of CH Products held forth on CH's user forum several times every day, he could probably write it or explain how, perhaps using CMS scripting. CH Control Manager allows scripts. I have written a few over the years, but they were all very simple scripts.

• Upvote 1

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

I played the first Railroad Tycoon II a lot. It was a Sid Meyer game (he also created Gettysburg and more famously Civilization).

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

1830! By Sid Meyer...

Let's see am I Jay Gould, James Fisk, Cornelius Vanderbuilt, Colin Huntington, George Westinghouse, or Oakes Ames? Railroads don't exist so should I start the first one and call it  Pennsylvania RR, Eire RR, NewYorkNewHaven RR, Canadian Pacific, B&O, Boston and Maine, or Cheaspeake and Ohio, or New York Central?

I'll also need a snappy 8 bit tune to keep the workers hammers ringing in time to lay the rail...

Edited by Fielder
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Fielder said:

Yes, it can run with throttle axis. Train throttles in real life are 'step' and not 'continuous' so an axis would have to keep 'pushing' and 'releasing' the keyboard advance throttle key as you move the CH throttle lever in one direction. And the retard throttle key as you move the CH throttle lever in the other direction. It's not very hard to do program that, CH Control Manager has that sort of action built right in.  But it is hard to get it working for the case where you move the throttle lever (the actual CH Pro throttle) fast or slowly.

I have tried to program exactly that for Trainsim from time to time and never got it stable. In the old days when Bob Church of CH Products held forth on CH's user forum several times every day, he could probably write it or explain how, perhaps using CMS scripting. CH Control Manager allows scripts. I have written a few over the years, but they were all very simple scripts.

OK then... seems I'll stick with Zusi3....

Also, the "Avionics" or whatever they call it in a train in Dovetail sims are not convening IMO... 

I remember in old days someone had written a "LJK2000" add-on windows application for MSTS, and I had great fun with it...

Zusi3 has most "avionics" well simed, however I'm mot a big fan of Germany rail system and I can't even read German...

18 hours ago, Fielder said:

1830! By Sid Meyer...

Let's see am I Jay Gould, James Fisk, Cornelius Vanderbuilt, Colin Huntington, George Westinghouse, or Oakes Ames? Railroads don't exist so should I start the first one and call it  Pennsylvania RR, Eire RR, NewYorkNewHaven RR, Canadian Pacific, B&O, Boston and Maine, or Cheaspeake and Ohio, or New York Central?

I'll also need a snappy 8 bit tune to keep the workers hammers ringing in time to lay the rail...

I forgot about that game (1830).  

I do remember the midi music on those old games.  For some reason I like those tunes.  Maybe time to fire up the DOS emulator and try these out again. 

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

4 minutes ago, Mace said:

I forgot about that game (1830).  

I do remember the midi music on those old games.  For some reason I like those tunes.  Maybe time to fire up the DOS emulator and try these out again. 

you can play it online against AI. When it asked to verify a code word just push the enter key. When you see the 8 barons screen, the options are down below, deisels allowed, unlimited track tiles, how many AI foes, etc.

The sound works fine! But it's too loud, just turn the volume way down...

https://www.myabandonware.com/game/1830-railroads-robber-barons-2af

I found an interesting third party add-on for Train Sim today - a moving map! It's been around for some time, but it's new to me!

https://www.thirdrails.org/thirdrails-map-tool/

If you drive a real world route, current or disused, then you can see your train position overlaid on Bing maps or others. :cool:

• Upvote 1

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

On 1/22/2021 at 2:07 AM, Fielder said:

I can hear the Railroad Tycoon theme in my head right now!

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

I just started up on TSW once again, Got the Version TSW2 last night with the Oakville Subdivision, TSW2 also comes with Sandpatch so that will keep me happy for a while. 

Matthew Kane

I'm an avid Train Simulator classic "user".  Some recent releases have been beyond TSW2 quality. Armstrong Powerhouse's Class 411 pack sounds and feels like commuting in the 80's.

• Like 1

WELCOME! to AVSIM nonlondoner. Oh the irony of your first post in a flight sim forum discussing a train sim.  :biggrin::cool:

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Thanks HighBypass. I know, MSFS is the new love of my life. Don't tell TS, it's temperamental  enough as it is. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

I've just recently gotten into running Steam, particularly the fantastic Smokebox FEF-3...wow what an experience.  Steam has never really been of much interest to me in the past, but after learning to run this hulking, hissing beast I think I'm hooked.

• Upvote 1

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

For those of you who like train sims, and I'm pretty sure that's most of us, be sure to check out Derail Valley (you can find it on Steam). It's kind of fun and it has pretty good physics and a fairly challenging and long career mode.

And it's not called derail valley for nothing, this is what happens when you don't watch your speed:

WjzlfIw.png

Edited by Chock
  • Like 2

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here