Sign in to follow this  
Heronjr

DXGI ERROR DEVICE HUNG

Had the same issue with the video card crashing, and a DXGI error. 

Changed the frame rate from unlimited to 30 FPS and that seem to have fixed it...for now.

• Like 1

Soarbywire - Avionics Engineering

17 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

I found a solution, so have others?  That's why we share our findings to see if they help others ... giving up is of course an option, but not terribly helpful to the intent of this thread.

Cheers, Rob.

What solution? If you, or others, had the solution we'd all be dancing the dance of joy and already moved on to complain about something else.Simmers still are having this problem and those that aren't WILL get this problem.

All you're really offering is a work around with a very narrow range of success.

My work around is to do a fresh install of the OS and flight sim (FSX or P3D over the years.) Given the amount of time I've spent trying to solve this mystery, it is the easiest and fastest way to get back to actually flying. Working smarter, not harder, is not giving up. And I've no doubt my "solution" will help as many others as anybody else's "solution."

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe

16 minutes ago, Twenty6 said:

What solution? If you, or others, had the solution we'd all be dancing the dance of joy and already moved on to complain about something else.Simmers still are having this problem and those that aren't WILL get this problem.

All you're really offering is a work around with a very narrow range of success.

My work around is to do a fresh install of the OS and flight sim (FSX or P3D over the years.) Given the amount of time I've spent trying to solve this mystery, it is the easiest and fastest way to get back to actually flying. Working smarter, not harder, is not giving up. And I've no doubt my "solution" will help as many others as anybody else's "solution."

Thanks for your help....Irony "OFF".

Some of you really are not helping at all BUT complaining here they need help?

And another thing you admitted here indirectly and probably without you knew it:

Seems YOUR problem was NOT P3D. Because your solution did use the same P3D as all others have but with a fresh OS and Driver  install.

Just what we are saying every single time again. And now I repeat myself:

P3D is NOT the issue most of the time.

So maybe stop arguing with people who try to help EVEN while knowing out of their experience that the problem is most likely something else at YOUR end.

Do you get it now? 

Rob is one of the people who has enormous knowledge and a huge contribution helping others. 

Marcus

Edited by mpo910
  • Upvote 2

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

12 minutes ago, Twenty6 said:

What solution?

Try reading the entire thread to understand the complex and varied nature of the DXGI errors...

• Like 1

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

2 minutes ago, kevinfirth said:

Try reading the entire thread to understand the complex and varied nature of the DXGI errors...

I did. 7 pages, to date, and no solution in this thread. Pick any other thread on this subject over the years and well .... no solution.

Over the course of my flight simming life I've had a handful of device hung errors. I've learned that I don't really need to understand the complexities or varied nature of how and why this particular error creeps into my computer. I came here to fly and after a few basic troubleshooting probes I have found the easiest and fastest way to return to flying is to start over from the beginning.

Coming up on 2 years, 3 months. Brand new flight simulator (MSFS2020.) I'm probably due.

-J

27 minutes ago, Twenty6 said:

I did. 7 pages, to date, and no solution in this thread. Pick any other thread on this subject over the years and well .... no solution.

You should have written:

..."No solution that works for my (your) DXGI  error"!

Because I found solutions as well others did, some are still seeking.

You still not understood that this error is:

- Not necessarily a P3D caused  error

- Not necessarily a Sim error

- Can have multiple root causes 

- can get caused with every app that processes output via a GPU card

These are two solutions for me which where communicated here:

- Turn Bathlemetry off

- Update Trueglass and Reallight

So your statement that this "thread has no solutions to offer" is simply wrong (without the addition -> for your DXGI Hung CTD).

Your solution was: reinstall Windows and all other needed components.  

Which is the evidence the root cause was not (only) P3D at your end. 

Well, before going that way.....I tried with much less effort and found useful information and help here.

Why are you complaining here if it does not affect you anymore?

Edited by mpo910
  • Upvote 1

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

7 minutes ago, mpo910 said:

This are two solutions for me which where communicated here:

8 minutes ago, mpo910 said:

Why are You complaining here if it does not affect you anymore?

I guess it's for the same reason you're here.

And I'll state again without complaining, all you or anyone else has offered is a work around. The problem (error) still exists as of today, therefore no solution has been found.

And since this is

16 minutes ago, mpo910 said:

- Not necessarily a Sim error

why is it polluting the P3D forum? Isn't this what Hangar Chat is for?

-J

40 minutes ago, Twenty6 said:

I guess it's for the same reason you're here.

And I'll state again without complaining, all you or anyone else has offered is a work around. The problem (error) still exists as of today, therefore no solution has been found.

And since this is

why is it polluting the P3D forum? Isn't this what Hangar Chat is for?

I am here to help others because I have experiences which I share to hopefully help others too.....those who appreciate it.

I am definitely not here, like you, telling everyone here that these help is only a workaround and not a solution.

You are still very wrong.

If the DXGI Hung is caused by Truelight or Reallight outdated software, updating is NOT a workaround BUT solution. 

If it is caused by corrupted drivers, updating or reinstalling them is NOT a workaround but a solution

Shall I go on? So no idea what you are trying to say with "it is just a workaround".

Only turning off  Bathemetry and\or vegetation shadows casting is a work around WHICH is clear for me BUT could still be very helpful for those who are suffering from it. LM is aware of these causes and working on a solution for sure. 

You instead did NOTHING but spreading useless information. The only thing you helped with is telling a complete reinstall of OS and P3D solved your problem. 

Why are we talking here about things which COULD , but not MUST, find the cause in other components outside P3D?

Because we are a community and help here too, even if it is not P3D related.

This will be my last post trying desperate to explain you the ins and outs about this DXGI Hung error........If you don't get it, please do NOT respond anymore. You are hijacking a useful thread with your statements that really does'nt help people. 

Why I tried to help and responded to your posts? Because you obviously did not understood the complexity of DXGI Hung root causes......

So please let it rest and let those, who search help , find their solutions or learn about the complexity too.

Marcus

Edited by mpo910
  • Upvote 1

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

2 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

If you do google search on "DXGI DEVICE HUNG" you'll see about 11 pages or so of people having this error across a wide range of games/simulations with various solutions/work arounds.

Does this not suggest that the common factor is more likely to be found in the GPU driver software and not the individual Application, dll, etc. Can’t help but feel that the responsibility for finding the all-encompassing solution rests with NVIDIA (does this error occur with AMD GPUs?).

NVIDIA must be aware that this happening and when it is likely to happen. I am no programming expert but, by now, I would have expected their drivers to be far more tolerant of faults such as this show-stopper.

Mike.

21 hours ago, mpo910 said:

Why are you complaining here if it does not affect you anymore?

Because I'm good at complaining. And I can do it without the hostility that invades your replies.

Device hung errors don't affect me cuz after taking a few basic troubleshooting steps and not having them work, I cleaned everything out and started fresh. I fail to see how doing that threatens you or is so much different to the work arounds you profess as gospel.

I don't wait for a problem to happen before finding the answer. This particular error is becoming more and more common (in my opinion.) If you don't have it now you will in the future so what's wrong with keeping track of it? But after reading a few pages all I saw was the rehashing of old data that didn't work in the past threads but are somehow expected to work now.

I stop by and make 2 posts in the total of 7 pages of replies and you accuse me of wasting everyone's time? Granted reinstalling the OS and flight sim is not the magic talisman users are hoping to find here but it does accomplish two very important things: 1) it stops the hole you're in from getting deeper and 2) it also cleans out all the other garbage you're introduced onto your computer and forgotten about.

Fast and efficient. I prefer to fly the simulator not look for ways to fix it. I no longer need to understand the complexities of the device hung error or its many manifestations.

Sorry that threatens you but I did not originally quote you or what you said. And unlike you I did not order him to stop replying in an open discussion or tell him what he is permitted to say and how to say it. Is the hostility how you get your point across? Intimidate people into seeing the world thru your eyes?

• Like 1

-J

14 minutes ago, Twenty6 said:

Sorry that threatens you but I did not originally quote you or what you said. And unlike you I did not order him to stop replying in an open discussion or tell him what he is permitted to say and how to say it. Is the hostility how you get your point across? Intimidate people into seeing the world thru your eyes?

I don't think anyone is threatened here. You found a course of action that satisfies you, so great, crack on. All I've seen here is people challenge misinformation or factually inaccurate posts, (which is entirely appropriate), Marcus simply asked you to kindly refrain from muddying the waters for other people who do not share your propensity to nuke their systems for whatever reason. That's hardly hostile. Anyway, the factual information stands, your position is that you do not require that information, so perhaps mods @Ray Proudfoot etc would mind deleting any further posts in this thread that threaten to go off topic.  You are, of course, perfectly free to start another thread concerning the range of problems that may best be resolved by a full reinstall, and I will leave you to that... Regards K

• Upvote 1

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

Gents. Stick to the topic of DXGI and how to prevent the problem. Any off-topic posts will be hidden so don’t waste your time posting unless it’s helpful with the problem.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Actually this post was interesting, knock on wood but tessellation on medium and HDR=0 has been quite good for me.

Ryzen 5 5600X - Noctua U12A, 32Gb Vengence, Sapphire Pulse 5700xt, WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD

Just now, FPStewy said:

Actually this post was interesting, knock on wood but tessellation on medium and HDR=0 has been quite good for me.

Tessellation doesn't make a difference on my system re: VRAM. Also, why is he saying you have to edit HDR in the CFG file? It's right there in the menu. I don't know why people just make up stuff and don't check their work.

29 minutes ago, Chapstick said:

Tessellation doesn't make a difference on my system re: VRAM. Also, why is he saying you have to edit HDR in the CFG file? It's right there in the menu. I don't know why people just make up stuff and don't check their work.

Setting HDR=0 is one way, but certainly not the only way, to turn off HDR.  The post doesn't suggest that it's the only way to do that, nor is it in the least bit incorrect.  Nobody is making stuff up.

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case