Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

Why call airliners tubeliners?

I might ruffle some feathers with this question but I find the description bizarre.

Why do people refer to airliners as tubeliners? It can’t be to save typing as it’s one letter longer.

All pressurised aircraft are a type of tube but what makes tubeliner more descriptive than a word that has been in use for over 70 years?

• Upvote 4

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

As you say, Ray, all passenger aircraft are a type of tube but I guess its just something that has appeared in recent years to imply that such aircraft types are generic and boring. 

• Like 1

@martin-w, thanks for your reasoning. I don't disagree many modern aircraft are just like ticky tacky and all look just the same. If you remember the song. :wink:

• Like 2

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Along that line...why call a hotdog a tube-steak?   Is that served on a tubeliner? 🤔

• Like 1

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

22 minutes ago, charliearon said:

Along that line...why call a hotdog a tube-steak?   Is that served on a tubeliner? 🤔

I've never heard that saying. Confined to the US?

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

15 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Yeah,  probably!

https://www.yourdictionary.com/tube-steak  I'm using the non body part meaning! 

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

16 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Let's hope it stays that way :wink:

• Like 2

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Greetings Ray, I never really thought about it. Back in my military days, when I flew C-141Bs, they called it the tube. Many also referred to it as the "tube of pain" because it wore you out on long flights or during low levels. I assumed it came from mechanics since it carries pressurized air.  

Rick

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, charliearon said:

Yeah,  probably!

https://www.yourdictionary.com/tube-steak  I'm using the non body part meaning! 

Thank God it wasn't the first one! 🤣

• Like 2

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

4 minutes ago, G550flyer said:

Greetings Ray, I never really thought about it. Back in my military days, when I flew C-141Bs, they called it the tube. Many also referred to it as the "tube of pain" because it wore you out on long flights or during low levels. I assumed it came from mechanics since it carries pressurized air.  

Rick

Thanks Rick. It would be interesting to hear from non-US pilots if they have ever used that expression.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

19 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I'm American and that name means something else.  I have never heard it associated with hotdogs or any other food. Strange one.

10 minutes ago, G550flyer said:

I'm American and that name means something else.  I have never heard it associated with hotdogs or any other food. Strange one.

I assume you're referring to tube-steak, not tubeliner.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Perhaps one of the few airliners that truly deserved to be referred to as a tubeliner was the Swearingen Metro. On my only two flights in this type, being 6ft 4ins tall, I was almost on all fours in the aisle making my way to my seat. Luckily I was a lot younger and more nimble in those days!

Bill

• Like 1

Dinner franks, maybe??

Charlie Aron