Sign in to follow this  
ctalpas

Pilot Emilie Spotlight

I like her, but I also feel kind of feel bad for her. The pandemic cost her the job she loves and becoming a YouTuber was basically her finding a way to do something aviation related and make money at the same time, while she was not able to fly in real life.

I bet she would prefer being a real commercial pilot again.

Edited by Farlis
  • Like 4

I watched her few times. Nothing againts her but frankly boring for my taste. I'd rather watch Trent Palmer  or Missionary Pilot!

• Like 2

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

I've participated in a few of her group flights, pretty cool seeing such a huge group of planes flying together. 

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

I do hope she goes back to producing some tutorials like she did earlier rather than just livestreams as of late.

chris

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, sd_flyer said:

I watched her few times. Nothing againts her but frankly boring for my taste. I'd rather watch Trent Palmer  or Missionary Pilot!

It will be interesting to see how she goes once she is flying agian.

I think part of the issue is there are limits on what you can do in terms of filling the cockpit with go pro cameras and doing a running commentary when you are on a commercial flight with a co-pilot or captain and cabin crew to work with. 

In some ways it is surprising her airline allowed her to record at all.  I suspect the legal section at a lot of major airlines would look askance at pilots recording/streaming daily operations.

4 minutes ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

It will be interesting to see how she goes once she is flying agian.

I think part of the issue is there are limits on what you can do in terms of filling the cockpit with go pro cameras and doing a running commentary when you are on a commercial flight with a co-pilot or captain and cabin crew to work with. 

In some ways it is surprising her airline allowed her to record at all.  I suspect the legal section at a lot of major airlines would look askance at pilots recording/streaming daily operations.

If she fly under FAA she is not allowed to tape anything on commercial flight unless it's training or empty leg

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

She flies for WestJet Encore.  Having said that I was still surprised she was allowed to record entire flights, it certainly makes for interesting viewing though to see Q400 ops in real life.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

I've heard her on a few podcasts recently. In the face of a pandemic that not many people foresaw impacting...well everything...as deeply as it has, I really admire her ability to pivot and use social media to make the best of a really tough situation faced by everyone in the industry. Making consistently engaging content is very hard. I haven't participated in any of her live streams, but success with live streaming in particular depends heavily on the likability of the streamer. It is especially great if that has been able to provide some financial stability in otherwise unstable times. But I know she is ready to take back to the skies as soon as possible...she's a pilot and you can tell that is what she feels she's meant to do.

• Upvote 1

Chris

2 hours ago, sd_flyer said:

lol I find the same... a bit boring... and honestly not that into the sim community. Whatever, to each his or her own. 

1 hour ago, regis9 said:

She flies for WestJet Encore.  Having said that I was still surprised she was allowed to record entire flights, it certainly makes for interesting viewing though to see Q400 ops in real life.

Super interesting as I know for a fact that airline and many others have stipulations of no posting pictures or videos from the flight deck!

1 hour ago, jpe828 said:

Super interesting as I know for a fact that airline and many others have stipulations of no posting pictures or videos from the flight deck!

I imagine it's one of those things that are only enforced when the company is looking for a reason to fire you. I've taken my share of pictures from the flight deck straight to facebook. Everyone I know with social media does the same, and I see a lot of others on twitter posting pictures daily.

Edit: It's funny because my currently employer, the RR, actually will fire you for use of electronic devices anywhere near the property. And trains aren't even going 650 mph over populated cities. 😂

Edited by WestAir
  • Like 1

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

I like her and her channel. I flew on her group flight in the Caribbean weekend (2/3 weeks ago) and last Sunday around 2 PM across Ireland and  UK.. My ID is Gollum1960  We flew the TBM and I enjoyed it thoroughly. 

She was promoted to Captain and the [political comment removed] virus happened she got laid off. 

gollum1960.png

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter