Sign in to follow this  
mtr75

GTN650/750 updates?

Any word on when and if these are coming to MSFS? Desperately needed!

• Upvote 2

Apparently the SDK is not allowing gauge/avioincs implementation.  But maybe @RXP will have a better explanation.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

1 hour ago, ryanbatcund said:

Apparently the SDK is not allowing gauge/avioincs implementation.  But maybe @RXP will have a better explanation.

Thanks Ryan. Is that just the case for the moment? Surely they can't basically disallow any avionics upgrades as a general rule going forward. 

3 minutes ago, mtr75 said:

Surely they can't basically disallow any avionics upgrades as a general rule going forward. 

This is one of the main reasons you don't have study level yet, coz they are stuck with using cut/n/past electronics, just the shell looks different.

• Upvote 1

Ryzen 5 5600X - Noctua U12A, 32Gb Vengence, Sapphire Pulse 5700xt, WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD

There's nothing stopping a 3PD from making a plane, making an interior model with a spot for a GTN and then building the functionality of the GTN into the simulator. There are no blocking items to this, it could be done today. In fact, I bet someone is working on it right now. 😉

If you're asking specifically about solutions that use the Garmin trainer in the sim, though, there are a couple limitations that are blocking this right now to my knowledge:

1) There is no allowance today for passing the Garmin trainer into the sim engine for display; and

2) MSFS is VC-based, and there's not much/any allowance for pop-up only gauges, meaning that to include a GTN you'd need a panel with a spot for one. So far, nobody has made a plane with a spot for a GTN.

It should technically be possible to build a GTN into the UI menu (where cameras, ATC, VFR Map, etc are) so there's no reliance on the panel itself - but I haven't looked into that much.

If someone were really set on using the Garmin trainer in MSFS, they could probably package the trainer alongside a local webserver and then pass the interactive visual model into a gauge texture in the VC via HTML and then use either that connection or simconnect to pass required data between the trainer and the sim. That should be doable today, but the challenge would be in writing the trainer - web server interface in a way that isn't too resource intensive. I'm just speculating here, we haven't tried it for this purpose...

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

5800X3D | Radeon RX 6900XT

I understand it is difficult to understand why just when looking at the surface of this, and considering that after all, it is just a matter of displaying a GTN screen from another app into a FS2020 gauge, and then passing back user interactions back to the GTN trainer back, although just these two pose a challenge between being able to do it, and being able to do it with zero latency and zero impact on the frame rate like Reality XP customers are accustomed to with our products in both Flight Simulator (FS9 to P3D5) and X-Plane (XP9 to XP11).

However this is only maybe 10% of the problem. The rest is much more subtle and right now impossible in FS2020.

I've submitted this very question for the next Q&A and you might want considering voting for this:
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/live-dev-q-a-guided-question/370628/14?u=cptlucky8

Another user is also posing the same question for the next Q&A:
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/live-dev-q-a-guided-question/370628/59?u=cptlucky8

You might want to also read my other comments about the FS2020 SDK:
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/discussion-live-dev-q-a-january/358108/211?u=cptlucky8
https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/582275-rxp-gtn-750650-and-gns-530430-for-fs2020/?do=findComment&comment=4323291

Otherwise and while at it, here are a few other questions you might want to also support to give them a chance* to be in the next Q&A:
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/live-dev-q-a-guided-question/370628/15?u=cptlucky8
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/live-dev-q-a-guided-question/370628/18?u=cptlucky8
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/live-dev-q-a-guided-question/370628/60?u=cptlucky8
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/live-dev-q-a-guided-question/370628/61?u=cptlucky8

---

*Supporting means clicking on the heart icon to add 1 like, so that the entries with most likes would most likely be selected for the Q&A. Thank you @Nemo for asking!

Edited by RXP
  • Like 10
  • Upvote 1

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

Thanks, I did already vote for this, but it certainly could use a few more votes.

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 1

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

10 minutes ago, pmb said:

Thanks, I did already vote for this, but it certainly could use a few more votes.

Kind regards, Michael

The forum structure over there is way to complicated for me ... Is it by purpose?  Where should I vote?

• Like 1

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

3 minutes ago, Nemo said:

Where should I vote?

If you click each link I've posted, you'll land on the individual posts at the bottom of which you can click the HEART Icon to add a "like", which hopefully will help the moderators picking up the most "voted" questions. Thank you for your support!

Edited by RXP
  • Upvote 1

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

40 minutes ago, RXP said:

picking up the most "voted" questions

This is what ruins MSFS for me - voting for needed things. It perpetuates the idea of being an arcade game rather than a sim. If things are important, why must ASOBO rely on voter feedback to implement or fix something?

• Like 3

David Porrett

Just now, DavidP said:

This is what ruins MSFS for me - voting for needed things. It perpetuates the idea of being an arcade game rather than a sim. If things are important, why must ASOBO rely on voter feedback to implement or fix something?

because the list of request is a million miles long and they want to work on things the community wants more. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

51 minutes ago, RXP said:

If you click each link I've posted, you'll land on the individual posts at the bottom of which you can click the HEART Icon to add a "like", which hopefully will help the moderators picking up the most "voted" questions. Thank you for your support!

Ah, I was looking for a special VOTE button as it has been there some time ago.

• Like 1

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

16 minutes ago, fogboundturtle said:

because the list of request is a million miles long and they want to work on things the community wants more. 

No. Clearly the predominant on-going initial development energy is directed at a long term plan that was created and solidified well before the public release.  Taking consumer requests and implementing some of them is like adding salt and pepper to your food once you are at the table.  And they are not changing the menu of food they are serving.  Only seasoning it.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

22 minutes ago, fogboundturtle said:

Gamers out number simmers. How many gamers would know or care whether a GTN, GNS or any other piece of advanced avionics is properly modelled?

David Porrett

1 minute ago, DavidP said:

Gamers out number simmers. How many gamers would know or care whether a GTN, GNS or any other piece of advanced avionics is properly modelled?

True but these gamers you hate so much is the reason why we see flight simming resurgence in the recent year. 

• Upvote 3

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.