Sign in to follow this  
Fielder

Stuck indoors, oversized, and tattled on by smart scales...

"using objective measures — weight measurements from Bluetooth-connected smart scales — suggests that adults under shelter-in-place orders gained more than half a pound every 10 days. That translates to nearly two pounds a month, said Dr. Gregory M. Marcus, senior author of the research letter, published on Monday in the peer-reviewed JAMA Network Open. Americans who kept up their lockdown habits could easily have gained 20 pounds over the course of a year, he added."

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/22/health/virus-weight-gain.html

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

I gained weight during the lock down and at my age, it's not easy to shed the excess weight.  Getting old is the pits!

• Like 1

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

In  2000 or so I  got a $300 treadmill.  I just walk 20 minutes a day and with some diet changes, I have lost 40 pounds.  This past year has been tough: I gained a couple pounds because I had to stop due to a wicked bruise inflicted on my toes as my shoes were getting worn out.  Also, I had some knee and back issues, where I could not walk for a week or two. 

January of last year the tread started pulling apart along a seam.  I thought the whole was trash as the company was gone, but I found a company that must manufacture all sizes and makes.  I was able to get one for $60.       

Edited by bic

10700k / Gigabyte 3060

My case was the opposite: during lockdown and compulsory work-from-home, I was able to lose 6 kg (13 lb) approx. I blame the food I had in my office 😛

Edited by Luis Hernandez
  • Like 2

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON) Ryzen 7 5700X3D (with SMT off and CO -50 mV), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), ID-Cooling SE-224-XTS air cooler, Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

When I moved to Guernsey from UK, had to do a two week compulsory isolation. Have  also just come out of a 5 week lockdown here. Yes, Ive gained weight but it might be related to my under active thyroid for which I take medication. Have a blood test coming up, might need to up the dose. 

COVID-30--it's not a new variant, it's that 30 lbs you put on while locked-down and simming in your basement...

• Like 4

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Steeplechase dreams...

4.png

• Like 1

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

Well, two pounds in a month isn't that much, actually. I mean, that's even less than one single kilogram. But ok, gaining one pound every ten days, that's terrible. You have to change something because that's not ok. During the first year of the pandemic, I gained more than 20 pounds, which was terrible. I felt like a freaking whale. So, during the entire 2021 year, I told myself that I would try to keep a strict diet and work out as much as possible. I still do that, and I can tell you that I'm in a better state than I used to be before the pandemic. I even bought this smart scale https://www.amazon.com/Vont-Smart-Body-Scale-Black/dp/B08XYX8RDR/. It helped me keep track of the fat levels in my body.

I gain weight because I love to cook and eat.  I'm not giving up that hobby.  My pall bearers will just have to suck it up.

Noel

• Like 1

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

I actually lost 65 pounds but I have been stuck on a plateau for quite a while now.  My doctor kept yelling at me about my 'triglycerides' and cholestorol.  Them doctors just need to tell others what to do I think.  but I had no business getting that heavy to begin with.  It sneaks up on you.

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

On 3/27/2021 at 10:17 AM, martin-w said:

When I moved to Guernsey from UK, had to do a two week compulsory isolation. Have  also just come out of a 5 week lockdown here. Yes, Ive gained weight but it might be related to my under active thyroid for which I take medication. Have a blood test coming up, might need to up the dose. 

Just watched the WWII movie Guernsey on Netflix, or Prime, or one of those channels. Although it was filmed around Devin, I enjoyed it very much. Maybe you are a member of the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society and gained your weight eating the pie?

I gained exactly 1 lb. from my last doctor visit last January.  2 things cause weight gain....lack of exercise (not extra fries) and SUGAR/CARBS intake.  2 years ago my doctor told me my sugar level was on the verge of pre-diabetic.  My weight was 232 lbs.  In a little over 6 months of no blatant sugar (in coffee, sweetened cereals, lots of pasta)  I dropped my weight down to 196 lbs and have maintained that ever since.  My pants literally fall down if my belt isn't tight enough and that's with the next size smaller waist size pants! 😳 

download.jpeg

Charlie Aron

AVSIM Board of Directors-Moderator-Registrar

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

How to know if your weight is: Healthy, Overweight, Obese, Morbidly Obese. The old BMI does not mean much. Height to waist ratio is the gold standard.

This new method takes about a minute. Only requires a tape measure.

https://www.newhealthadvisor.org/Waist-to-Height-Ratio.html

• Upvote 1

On 3/26/2021 at 10:02 PM, Fielder said:

Americans who kept up their lockdown habits could easily have gained 20 pounds over the course of a year, he added."

Even before Covid Americans were gaining weight at an alarming pace. I don’t know what the stats are but I live it Texas and it seems like the vast majority of people I see in public every day are overweight or heavier than they should be.

It’s a stark difference to what I see when I’m in Europe. I think in the states it mostly attributed to the lack of physical activity most people are willing to exert and people making a steady diet of fast food and sugary drinks, and large portions. 

At the rate we’re going know where going to have another epidemic of people dying from heart disease, diabetes and other issues related to obesity. 

• Like 1

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator