Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
pvupilot

MSFS at 2K resolution on a 4K monitor?

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Hi guys!

I’m in the market for a new monitor. I have someone local offering a LG 27" 4k IPS freesync monitor 27ul600 for $250. Seems like an awesome deal but I’ve been specifically looking for a 2K monitor since I am more interested in frames and smoothness than 4K. My pc specs are i7-9700k @4.9Ghz, 32GB RAM, GTX1080ti. Will running the sim at 2k resolution on a 4K monitor look bad? Right now I’m running the rendering scale at 130 on a 23” 1080p monitor. 
 

Also I tried moving this to the hardware forum...

Edited by pvupilot

/ CPU: Intel i7-9700K @4.9 / RAM: 32GB G.Skill 3200 / GPU: GTX 1080ti 11GB /

Kyle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I run 1440P on a a 4K monitor, it's fine.  It's a little bit soft but certainly not something that is bothering me.  And this is on a 32" LG monitor btw.

If you will downscale then I guess the dpi of a 27" may even be somewhat less soft than on a 32".  Having said that I would not buy anything below 32" anymore nowadays but obviously you won't get those for $250.  I assume it's VA panel though and that is something I would not want to compromise on at all, gotta be IPS, colours look richer on an IPS monitor but that's my personal preference but particularly in MSFS I would argue that that is very important.  VA is meant to have more contrast but I never noticed that compared to IPS, but I certainly notice the colour difference.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for the reply. I’ve been trying to find some good 32” monitors within my budget (as close to $300 as possible) but haven’t had a ton of luck. And with not being able to run at 4K, I figured 27” may be that sweet spot for me. It is an IPS HDR monitor with Freesync. 


/ CPU: Intel i7-9700K @4.9 / RAM: 32GB G.Skill 3200 / GPU: GTX 1080ti 11GB /

Kyle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, stefaandk said:

I run 1440P on a a 4K monitor, it's fine.  It's a little bit soft but certainly not something that is bothering me.  And this is on a 32" LG monitor btw.

If you will downscale then I guess the dpi of a 27" may even be somewhat less soft than on a 32".  Having said that I would not buy anything below 32" anymore nowadays but obviously you won't get those for $250.  I assume it's VA panel though and that is something I would not want to compromise on at all, gotta be IPS, colours look richer on an IPS monitor but that's my personal preference but particularly in MSFS I would argue that that is very important.  VA is meant to have more contrast but I never noticed that compared to IPS, but I certainly notice the colour difference.

 

 

Do you set 1440P on 4K screen by Nvidia/AMD settings or within game resoulution settings only ?

Is there any difference you experience ? 

Kind regards. 


Faruk IŞIK

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use that monitor for multiple purposes, has my xbox and ps4 hooked up to it which is where it is used for 4K content.  My PC is ancient (780 gfx card) so even the desktop resolution is set to 1440P, anything I run on PC is at 1440 or hell even 1080 at times coz stuff like Tarkov I can't even get 60FPS at 1080 with everything to low or off.

Back on topic although I run MSFS at 1440 as otherwise I can't read anything (you certainly can't go lower in res), I still have everything to low or off and my scaling is at 90% so even not full 1440 I guess.  It still looks alright/better than its competitors even at those settings.    Bottom line I think you will be fine running 1440p on a 4K monitor, it won't be as crisp/sharp as actual 4K but I'm sure the other gfx settings which you will be able to turn up higher will easily make up for that.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, pvupilot said:

Hi guys!

I’m in the market for a new monitor. I have someone local offering a LG 27" 4k IPS freesync monitor 27ul600 for $250. Seems like an awesome deal but I’ve been specifically looking for a 2K monitor since I am more interested in frames and smoothness than 4K. My pc specs are i7-9700k @4.9Ghz, 32GB RAM, GTX1080ti. Will running the sim at 2k resolution on a 4K monitor look bad? Right now I’m running the rendering scale at 130 on a 23” 1080p monitor. 
 

Also I tried moving this to the hardware forum...

I have this monitor and I regularly set it at 1440p, it's a decent enough 4k monitor for the price, do be aware though it has has a max frequency of 60 Hertz. Which is fine for me but might be a problem for more serious gamers who want a faster refresh rate for games like call of duty or pubg.


AMD Ryzen 3800X, GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Ultra, 32GB DDR4 3200 MHz RAM, Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD, SAMSUNG QVO (1TB) SSD, 2 * 1 TB M.2 2280 Nvme SSD, Toshiba (4TB) HDD, WD (2TB) HDD,RADEON RX 6800 XT NITRO+ OC SE 16GB GDDR6 , NZXT Kraken X73, NZXT 710 Case, SAITEK X55 JOYSTICK/THROTTLES, SAITEK YOKE, 2 * SAITEK throttles, SAITEK PEDALS, LG 27UL600 4K monitor, Dell U2414H 1080P 2nd monitor. Honeycomb Bravo Throttle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tried running a lower resolution on my 4k monitor and didn't like it, always better to run native resolution, in my experience it won't look as good


Wayne such

Asus Hero 64 GB, I7 8700K Asus GTX 1080TI

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Jetman67 said:

I tried running a lower resolution on my 4k monitor and didn't like it, always better to run native resolution, in my experience it won't look as good

There is an issue if you have the  nvidia settings resolution not to your native resolution first and then when you use the in-sim scaling it still looks really good but resolution in the sim is scaled down without looking like word not allowed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Get a much larger 4K TV for the same price as the monitor. There's no point in running 4K or even 2K on a tiny screen. I use a 75" Sony 4K TV with scaling set to 60. It looks fantastic and runs smoothly even though my machine is over five years old.

 

Edited by David Mills

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a similar spec pc to yourself. I am using an Acer Predator 32inch monitor at 4k with the scaling set to 70 so 2.5k. Looks fine. Since I run the sim almost maxed out I can't increase the res as much as I would like.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sonosusto said:

I use a vsync 4k monitor and will go no less than 70% scaling.

Same here I did try dropping the monitor resolution lower than native and didn't like it


Wayne such

Asus Hero 64 GB, I7 8700K Asus GTX 1080TI

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4k at 70% scaling for me with my 1080Ti.  I can't quite hold 80% scaling (GPU bounces off 100% causing it to drop below 30 FPS sometimes), but if not flying over complex areas, I have set 75% from the user config file (not available on the slider) and that is fine.

I think this looks better than 2k (1440) at 130%, and the performance impact is very nearly the same.

I also experiment with turning sharpening off in the user config (as it is a little too sharp in 4k) and setting 50% sharpening in Nvidia Control Panel instead - not sure which one I like the best.

  • Like 2

I like to fool airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio!

Intel Core I7 8086K @ 5.1 GHz with water cooling, EVGA RTX 3080Ti Ultra (Default Profile), 32 GB RAM @ 3600 MHz (XMP), 2 x Samsung 1 TB NVME M.2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do the same as bobcat with my 1080ti, just a little downscaling and I also use nvidia's image sharpening in the nvidia control panel.

I have contemplated running 1440p but...generally I'm able to stay at 4k with the sharpening.  It's all right for now.

  • Like 1

Rhett

i7-8700k @ 5.0 ghz, 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ, 1080Ti, 32" BenQ, 4K res

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online


  • Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

    AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

    Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.
  • Donation Goals

    AVSIM's 2020 Fundraising Goal

    Donate to our annual general fundraising goal. This donation keeps our doors open and providing you service 24 x 7 x 365. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. We reset this goal every new year for the following year's goal.


    53%
    $13,405.00 of $25,000.00 Donate Now
×
×
  • Create New...