Sign in to follow this  
andyjohnston.net

So Hard to Stay Positive

2 hours ago, TurboKen said:

Bob I'm sorry to hear about your computer locking up again. If I didn't live 2000 miles away from you I would come over and fix it.

If you can reprogram MSFS so it is stable, I will pay your way over here...

• Upvote 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Any time I feel bad about the sim I fire up the WT CJ4 and it turns that frown upside down. What an epic accomplishment and so early in the sim's lifetime.

• Like 1

13900K | MSI RTX 4090 | 64 GB 3600 MHz | 4x SSD + 1x HDD | ASUS 42" 3840x2160 120Hz OLED
VirtualFly TQ6+ | Virpil WarBRD + Constellation Alpha | MFG Crosswind V2 | RealSimGear GNS530/430

spacer.png

7 hours ago, TurboKen said:

I think most of the pauses are from either slower internet connections and or not having enough video ram.

When I had my 2080 only having 8 gigs of vram I would get several second pauses as I entered the seattle region landing at seatac. Now with 24 gigs of vram I get zero pauses anywhere so I was clearly maxing out the video ram buffer. I have very fast internet so there is no problem there either, which further proves MSFS needs lots of Vram. I fly on ultra everywhere and have no pauses or stutters anywhere. But buying a 3090 is very expensive fix at thats if you can find one.

It might be a good option if Asobo adds an option to limit vram usage like I have seen in a few other games.

Dead wrong assumption about the Vram. Not intending to be rude.. just kinda over the assumption that something is wrong with somebody's system syndrome.

Edited by Maxis
  • Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Asus VG34VQL3A / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

I'm not really having issues with software glitches, and never had a CTD - occasional stutters here and there. You can see my gear specs are quite modest. I also use settings that are appropriate. It's really a software design issue. Most of the aircraft just don't feel realistic to me.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Intel i7-11700K@3.60 GHZ. 32 GB RTX 4070 Ti OC

9 hours ago, Bosco19 said:

I have also backed off for a while.  While I’m hopeful for the future, as an old stick-and-rudder VFR pilot, I still find the flight models to be too unrefined, and I eventually lose interest. As others have said, this is a FLIGHT SIM, and it would seem obvious that the most basic issues to sort out first would be the actual “flight simulation” aspects themselves.

Totally 100% agree on this. The only thing stopping me from uninstalling this mess is the scenery which is occasionally breathtaking. The flying "experience" however is sorely lacking in refinement and immersion. The software is incomplete and has major bugs and they released it way too early I guess to keep the bean-counters happy. You'd think Microsoft knew a thing or two about releasing software and "cloud" computing. So far it appears not!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

FlightSim UK - Live To Fly

FSUK.jpg

49 minutes ago, TrafficPilot said:

Totally 100% agree on this. The only thing stopping me from uninstalling this mess is the scenery which is occasionally breathtaking. The flying "experience" however is sorely lacking in refinement and immersion. The software is incomplete and has major bugs and they released it way too early I guess to keep the bean-counters happy. You'd think Microsoft knew a thing or two about releasing software and "cloud" computing. So far it appears not!

How long did it take them to get Windows 10 working properly, after it was first released? 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

lol

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

19 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

How long did it take them to get Windows 10 working properly, after it was first released? 

Expressly why I stayed at the time with Windows 7.  And why I have now so happily reverted to FSX SE in the meantime in my flying.  SE with my Realair, A2A, and Milviz aircraft models, Reality XP GPS avionics, community shared NAV databases, MSE3 photoreal scenery at 21,000, AS16 live weather, and REX cloud textures is not even close to equaled in MSFS. 

2,000 ft altitude, VFR?  A ton of nice addon mods?  Yes.  But that is not my typical flight.

OK. I admit it. I have not yet found in FSX SE a method to implement the LED annunciations on my Honeycomb Bravo!  But the Alpha/Bravo flight controls combo in FSX SE is unequalled!

I am not attempting to be tribal here about sims,.  Just MSFS is still so lacking for serious flight.

Edited by fppilot
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

50 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

Windows 10 still doesn't work correctly.  They have released updates that delete peoples 'My Documents' folders, updates that brick computers, or held back updates on major partner hardware (like some Intel CPUs or Lenovo laptops) because of things that didn't work properly with Windows for months and months after a major release.  Most recently they introduced a bug that caused BSODs for users of certain printer brands.

My desktop PC was a year behind in major release updates because it was never "offered" the latest version automatically.  I manually upgraded to the latest to avoid getting close to when the version I was on would have support end. 

Ever since they fired the QA department and decided to depend on the developers QAing their own builds and the Windows "Insders" providing bug reports, it's been a downhill trend on the quality and reliability of Windows updates.  That bug that deleted peoples Documents - was reported by Insiders, but it didn't get enough "upvotes" for anyone to actually look at it.  Sound familiar? 

Edited by marsman2020
  • Like 2

AMD 3950X | 64GB RAM | AMD 5700XT | CH Fighterstick / Pro Throttle / Pro Pedals

On 4/8/2021 at 11:04 PM, KJANRBeard said:

I can agree with you. I followed the ideas posted in the performance fix post, haven’t seen anymore pauses and I am seeing overall performance improvements (until the next update), but haven’t flown much this week to fully test. 
But on the 172(non glass), I’m getting the black screens on startup on the garmin units..seems to show more consistently this week.

Always a see-saw, and seemingly no serious forward progress on fixing obvious bugs that keep appearing, reappearing in some cases.

So yes, hard to stay positive but I’ll keep trying. 

Cheers,

RB

Well, this time, it was my fault with the Garmin units on the C172.

Apparently, I was running an older version of the WT Garmin Mod Package...I accept that.  Downloaded but forgot to install it, Whoops:-)

But, Thanks Hansb57 for leading me in that direction...

Q/A This week... :-) 😐 😞...

Yes, I have had a few enjoyable flights...I'll take it..

Positive Right? 🙂 

K,

Cheers All,

RB

On 4/9/2021 at 1:00 PM, sd_flyer said:

I remember back in days when I bought FSX it was a slide show on my hardware! I think it took several years for hardware become more affordable, so I bought a new rig top notch gaming PC. FSX start running much smoother yet I still couldn't put all sliders to the right. Another few years and another upgrade and finally FSX was in all perfect performance glory.

Like in this joke: You know the truth about vacuum cleaners? What? They really suck." LOL Similarly the truth about flight sim is that upon their release hardware that would run it perfectly usually few years away! LOL It happened in many sims throughout my simmer experience .

So before MSFS was release  I bought top of the line rig one month prior. This time me after 30+ years of simming was ready and most importantly could afford a new rig! Yet few months after release I was force upgraded my video card to RTX3090! LOL Sound familiar huh? What can I say. I ran ULTRA on 3840X2160. Sometimes MSFS runs smooth like butter, sometimes there are some stutters. But overall I'm happy.  

The bottom line while I feel for you guys who have all kind of problems! But we can't getting Lombardini performance in Honda Civic! I'd say give it few years things will definitely get better. Just like it was for me in FSX, Il2, P3D, DCS, XP and so on. Hang on there!

I think the frustration isn't because the hardware hasn't been invented yet to max this sim out like when FSX was released...

Users with excellent hardware with plenty of headroom and with blazing fast internet connections are getting random pauses and stutters.

This sim was also designed to run well on average systems and to be used on the new Xbox, which many users with issues have PC's well beyond those specs!

Chris Camp

1 hour ago, Kilo60 said:

Users with excellent hardware with plenty of headroom and with blazing fast internet connections are getting random pauses and stutters.

Yeah.  200mbit fiber and a full custom build PC, all NVME storage, water cooled, and performance is frequently terrible. 

I will say if people want to feel more "positive", join GotGravel's discord server and try the new Vertigo open beta.  A modded VL-3 with a turboprop engine.  Don't use more then 30-40% power on takeoff.  It's like a  🚀

After many hours of flying (around 15) and using Neofly without a single CTD or sim crash.....finally had one tonight just minutes after loading up the sim.  But that was AFTER I installed some liveries for the C172 G1000.  Removed some liveries and the game is working fine again.   I'm now convinced many crashes are due to outdated liveries and/or custom addons.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Kind regards,

Tim

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K (OC 4.7) CPU COOLER: Noctua nh-d15S GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070-Ti FTW2 8GB  SSD: Crucial MX500 1TB HDD: Seagate 500GB - Maxtor 250GB - WD 250GB RAM: Team Vulcan 16 GB MBD: Gigabyte Z370P D3
PSU: Evga 650w  OS: Win 10 Pro

2 hours ago, Isaiah53six said:

I'm now convinced many crashes are due to outdated liveries and/or custom addons.

I tend to agree with you that many CTD seem induced by external factors to the sim itself (the packages out-of-date bug being put aside) : addons, hardware issues.

I didn't have any CTD in about 75 hours with my profile of simming  short flights of about 45 minutes over regions that I suspect will not overstress my machine, no aircraft or avionics mods, no freeware scenery, one livery for the Cub, default aircraft or the FI Spit only (the Corsair in waiting 😀),  MFS tuned to an old computer that I know. I am cautious. I will slowly introduce sceneries only now.

I said many CTD, not all though. It does not mean that the sim doesn’t generate crashes too. I do not use the native G1000 or 3000 for instance, only the G3X. Or the airliners. So it may be very well possible that a cautious simmer flying long haul with some native avionics gets a crash.

Edited by Dominique_K
  • Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

I did the community endurance race across Australia last weekend which required that we all empty our Community folders and I had 2 CTDs despite restarting the entire sim at every refuel stop to try and keep it stable.

In the SW121, which has the portrait mode version of the G3X (non-touch).

Edited by marsman2020