Sign in to follow this  
captain420

Is Orbx Landmarks Paris/London even worth it now?

I bought London landmarks when it came out, it alright and didn’t cost that much. I haven’t purchased a landmark pack since, IMO these come under the let’s make a quick buck products, and I’d rather save my money for Aircraft and the odd airport.

imo the default scenery is good enough for most places.

however - if it’s free then I’d take a look👍😉

• Like 1

Ryzen 5900x - 32gb 3600Mhz RAM - Asus Strix X570-F Motherboard - ASUS TUF OC RTX 3090 - AOC AGON 32" 144Hz - LG OLED55CX5LB 55" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR OLED - 1TB Sabrent Rocket M.2 + 2TB PCIe4.0 NVMe drive's - Samsung EVO 670 SSD 250gb - 2TB 3.5" HDD - Honeycomb Alpha Flight controls Yoke - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog. T Flight Rudder Pedals - Trackir

7 hours ago, Lincolnshire Poacher said:

In my opinion, not worth it, I bought it pre WU5 through the Marketplace. A MSFS update messed it up so I uninstalled.  Its that good now I can see no reason to go back to it and consider it wasted money.

Now before buying commercial scenery / airports I do the following:

1 do a flight over the default scenery / airport

2 See if there is a freeware version (Flightsim.to), if so install it and do another flight.

3 View videos of the payware version

4 decide what to go for, it would have to be something really mind blowing for me to buy payware scenery / airports now.

Just to clarify in case you didn't read this entire thread and missed this imaged posted by Styckx.     When configured for the world update ORBX London no longer replaces the "better looking" default models with inferior models.    At this point it does replace some less than optimal models with "better looking" models.   It doesn't currently seem to be a net overall negative,   rather the opposite.    To each his own,  though.

7kYKXGB.png

6 minutes ago, Waldo Pepper said:

At this point it does replace some less than optimal models with "better looking" models. 

Like the original poster I was just wondering whether ORBX Paris added any value after the world update. If they haven't updated then we have the double issue of both SU and WU compatibility. I was primarily referring to the latter.

Orbx Frankfurt sure didn't add any value. That was money truly down the drain as they sold that pack to ms/asobo to incorporate it as part of the DACH world update. Very sneaky of them. 

19 minutes ago, saifs said:

Orbx Frankfurt sure didn't add any value. That was money truly down the drain as they sold that pack to ms/asobo to incorporate it as part of the DACH world update. Very sneaky of them. 

Yes and no, some of them are ORBX, but not all of them. There is also stuff in the ORBX Frankfurt pack not in the World Update.

BwMZUwI.png

ukWjfdT.png

Edited by Tuskin38

3 hours ago, Tuskin38 said:

There is also stuff in the ORBX Frankfurt pack not in the World Update.

What, 'a few trains, boats, vegetation and lighting'? Come on man. It's been removed from their catalogue of products for sale. Why did they do that if it's so different from the now default Frankfurt? 

Sometimes I just wonder if Orbx has become one of those cash grab companies just out to make a quick buck. This kind of underhanded behaviour would NEVER have happened during John V's time. If they were going to sell it to MS/Asobo, why release it to the public for sale, just a few months before the world update? You can't justify this man, whatever you say. 

I think I'm going to write about it in the Orbx forum. 

11 hours ago, Lincolnshire Poacher said:

Now before buying commercial scenery / airports I do the following:

1 do a flight over the default scenery / airport

2 See if there is a freeware version (Flightsim.to), if so install it and do another flight.

3 View videos of the payware version

4 decide what to go for, it would have to be something really mind blowing for me to buy payware scenery / airports now.

My process too.👍

Sometimes it's a no-brainer (Pyreegue/Orbx EGPH) but otherwise I exercise caution.

• Like 1

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

32 minutes ago, saifs said:

I think I'm going to write about it in the Orbx forum. 

Good, I think everyone who bought it should.

And I wasn't justifying it, I was just pointing it out.

Edited by Tuskin38

According to the ORBX forums, Paris was updated following the World Update. I tried the free version but there is a lot of building pop-ins with the default scenery and this became exaggerated with all the extra buildings. I do like the look of the Jetstream designs Orly airport ( LFPO ) which is much closer do the center of Paris than CDG . I might pull the trigger on this and the Paris Landmarks once the pop-in issue is resolved. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mobeans10 said:

According to the ORBX forums, Paris was updated following the World Update. I tried the free version but there is a lot of building pop-ins with the default scenery and this became exaggerated with all the extra buildings. I do like the look of the Jetstream designs Orly airport ( LFPO ) which is much closer do the center of Paris than CDG . I might pull the trigger on this and the Paris Landmarks once the pop-in issue is resolved. 

I was at the latest versions of Jetstream's LFPO a few minutes ago and loitered Orbx's Paris Landmarks. No problems. I did the same for Orbx London City EGLC and Orbx London Landmarks last night. Same result. No issues.

I have just a few items in the Community folder which I'm checking out for compatibility issues: the TBM 930 with the G3000 and road data mods, ship traffic AI (Gaist-msfs-v2, Seafront's core library and enhanced AI), plane traffic AI (ivao_x-csl, ksfo-static, and ETL), and the shiftzstats mod. So far the combination seems to be working well. A little slower to load but that's about it.

I'm looking into a Rome/airport combo next and load a few more airport/big city combos later on.

Edited by bofhlusr

Hardware: i7-8700k, GTX 1070-ti, 32GB ram, NVMe/SSD drives with lots of free space.
Software: latest Windows 10 Pro, P3Dv4.5+, FSX Steam, and lots of addons (100+ mostly Orbx stuff).

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1

Orbx london and orbx london city airport cause my sim to ctd. Wasted money. Orbx central uk is good imo though.

Ok, so I now have Paris Landmarks and Jetstream Design's LFPO.  I would definitely recommend the airport. There is no issue with the landmarks, completely compatible with both the world update and the latest simulation update.  I don't know Paris well enough to tell whether there are any additional landmarks that were missing from the default, but for $9 it might be worth a shot for anyone particularly interested in this area. 

• Upvote 1