Sign in to follow this  
GHarrall

Another User Back To FS9

After months of trying all the tricks and adjustments to get FSX to run acceptable to me, I am joining the ranks of those returning to FS9. My computer is mid to upper end (I'll spare the details because it's not relevent at this point). It runs FS9 with dozens of addon scenery/AI traffic/addon flyable planes like PMDG's 737/747's, level D's 767, with all settings maxed to the right with hardly a stutter. Frustration,frustration,frustration sums up FSX. I will continue to keep it on my HD, but after weighing the +++'s and the ---'s, FS9 is the way to go. After reading the other stories of simmers returning to FS9, I hope the developers, both freeware and payware continue to churn out addons for the many staying with FS9. For those who are able to run FSX acceptably to THEM, congratulations! For those of us who can't, I am looking forward to maybe a patch from MS, or bring on FS11(hopefully designed from scratch).Thanks for allowing me to blow off a little steam. Jim:-)

Jim Boerman

Guest WindBeneathMyWings

Hello, I have not purchased it just waiting... But from what recon I have done and all the reading still seems to be quite a pest for alot of people. I have ton's and ton's of add-ons for FS9 probably close to the $600 bill range. One for example is ActiveSky and I was doing some reading on their site the other day on FSX and it seems to be giving them quite a workout. And I think these guy's are one of the 3rd party add-on folks that put the Q in quality. But who know's maybe it will work it's way through the weeds but from my observation it is moving quite slow. Until it is squawkbox ready and some really good add-ons come out I will stay in the holding pattern with FS9 myself. Happy Landings, Josh

I think that the increased time it is taking 3rd party developers to adapt their products to FSX is simply the result of there being a greater difference between FS9 and FSX than there was between FS8 and FS9.

>I think that the increased time it is taking 3rd party>developers to adapt their products to FSX is simply the result>of there being a greater difference between FS9 and FSX than>there was between FS8 and FS9. Correct. An arcade and buggy difference. Right now the problem is that i don't see fs10 getting anywhere, add ons and otherwise, for about 12-18 months while the userbase catches up with that nasa computer that seems to be out of stock at area 51. thus far the videos that i've seen (i got rid of my copy within a few weeks back in the day!) are abysmal. 4fps. that's it.. but hey, if you want to have the latest and greatest keep it.

Guest cwright

>Correct. An arcade and buggy difference. Right now the problem>is that i don't see fs10 getting anywhere, add ons and>otherwise, for about 12-18 months while the userbase catches>up with that nasa computer that seems to be out of stock at>area 51. I already have the Horizon Simulations UK photo-real scenery for FSX and as I speak I am downloading the new Hawaii Mega Scenery for FSX. The UK photo scenery is stunninmg and runs beautifully smoothly. I fully expect the Hawaii scenery to be as good.This illustrates one massive advantage FSX has over FS9. It is highly optimised for photo-real scenery at high resolution. The old UK VFR scenery for FS9 ran quite badly and was significantly worse than standard generic textures. In contrast, FSX seems to run photo scenery just as easily as generic. And, remember, this is at 1 meter per pixel which means it shows 16 times the detail.I regard FSX as being far, far better than FS9 (I deleted FS9 recently). On a good to medium computer I get very acceptable frame rates. In so many ways FSX is superior to FS9 (e.g. the new views system). I simply couldn't contemplate going back to FS9.Best regards, Chris

I too hope that developers continue to support previous versions of FS :)FSX simply isn't up to speed on the average PC.

Guest IMM22

I'm returning to FS9 too. The FS9 + Add-ons is much faster and as professional cockpits that work great and smooth with my trackIR 4. Now the fun is coming and the frustration is going away ...

>I'm returning to FS9 too. >>The FS9 + Add-ons is much faster and as professional cockpits>that work great and smooth with my trackIR 4.>> >Now the fun is coming and the frustration is going away ...As they say, "it's to each their own". I'm in the group, than when flying high, airliner style, that I always want to be "lower". This is where FSX shines, with it's ability to depict a near 25 times better resolution than FS9. It even has the possibility of much more than that, if HD drives can handle the load!Just look at the FSX comparisons of MegaScenery Hawaii, GeoRender Yellowstone, and experimentation with Google Earth, compared to the much lower resolution pixels of FS9. We're getting closer to photo quality, that actually enhances the percieved look of three dimensions, instead of the look of flying over a photograph.With all these new areas coming on line to explore with FSX, I'd say that the "fun" is actually coming with FSX, and I'm suffering almost no frustration in the meantime. Certainly no more frustration than with any other flight sim.As it is now, I've installed FS9 & FSX, as well as X-Plane 8.50 on the new CPU, and have been gradually adding addons back to FS9, as well as have purchased a new one. However, I don't see myself going back to "just FS9" at all, as it's actually getting to be less as time goes on.IMO, for commercial type airliner flying, FS9 is still the way to go. For FSX, I prefer the Marchetti SF260, and will want something along the lines of the FS9 Dreamfleet Beech Baron, or perhaps the new RealAir twin when available. "Slow, but not that slow". :DL.Adamson

Guest RGH

Hi CWI think you are correct I am waiting for my pree orderd VFR to come.But it is also true,we are getting a lot of bugs in the programs that are already relesed,And I have been told to be patient,and as patience is not one of my better qualitys it is difficult,but I think they are right.If they had not relesed them I would be moaning that they were no addons,and as we have no afcad tool for FSX that makes it worse.But I am sure over the next few months If ACES and program makers make it a priority to correct bugs,most FSX deserters will be back.what I have started doing is haveing a giggle at some of the bugs in FSXlike the perfect little forrest growing on the sea ice in the Bering sea.It is a wonderfull Sim Just needs a few fixes like me.RegardsRex

For many years, I've always figured that flight simming was a great way of recreating past experiences, something that we'd like to experience in the future, and a way to bring nostalgic aircraft or the eras of the past, back to life.So this morning, after a fine flight around the island of Oahu with MegaScenery Hawaii in FSX, I've now downloaded some excellent freeware P51 Mustangs for FS9, thanks to a thread in the screenshots forum. Just another reason to keep and enjoy both, as there are so many possibilities!L.Adamson

Guest Len

> After months of trying all the tricks and adjustments to>get FSX to run acceptable to me, I am joining the ranks of>those returning to FS9. My computer is mid to upper end (I'll>spare the details because it's not relevent at this point). It>runs FS9 with dozens of addon scenery/AI traffic/addon flyable>planes like PMDG's 737/747's, level D's 767, with all settings>maxed to the right with hardly a stutter.>Frustration,frustration,frustration sums up FSX. I will>continue to keep it on my HD, but after weighing the +++'s and>the ---'s, FS9 is the way to go. After reading the other>stories of simmers returning to FS9, I hope the developers,>both freeware and payware continue to churn out addons for the>many staying with FS9. For those who are able to run FSX>acceptably to THEM, congratulations! For those of us who>can't, I am looking forward to maybe a patch from MS, or bring>on FS11(hopefully designed from scratch).>Thanks for allowing me to blow off a little steam.>> Jim:-) Just have to look at the sparse FSX freeware the last week and the overwhelmingly larger FS9 freeware and you can see that the people have spoken.

Guest diajohn2

These threads are tiresome. If you like FS9 (and I do) then use it. If you like FSX (and I do) then use it.Quit the public whining. Send emails to Microsoft and leave these boards for questions, suggestions and how to improve our simming.

>>These threads are tiresome. If you like FS9 (and I do) then use it. If you like FSX (and I do) then use it.Quit the public whining. Send emails to Microsoft and leave these boards for questions, suggestions and how to improve our simming.<

Jeff

Commercial | Instrument | Multi-Engine Land

AMD 5600X, RTX3070, 32MB RAM, 2TB SSD