Sign in to follow this  
Cpt_Piett

Propeller windmilling with engine off in strong wind

34 minutes ago, in2tech said:

Wait, people steal propellers? Did I read that right? So next time ( like I have seen one before ) I see a guy dressed in Black next to a GA plane, call the police 🙂

For some reason this made me laugh out loud! I'm picturing a guy walking down the street with a big ole prop 🙂 Wait for it, there will be a video or article next!

Of course a guy did steal a tank one time. So anything is possible 🙂

Well, people steal drainpipes and fences. A good propeller is much more expensive.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, in2tech said:

Wait, people steal propellers? Did I read that right? So next time ( like I have seen one before ) I see a guy dressed in Black next to a GA plane, call the police 🙂

For some reason this made me laugh out loud! I'm picturing a guy walking down the street with a big ole prop 🙂 Wait for it, there will be a video or article next!

Of course a guy did steal a tank one time. So anything is possible 🙂

12054_3.jpg

7355a_square.jpg

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick
  • Like 1

Still funny, unless you own a plane that someone stole the propeller. Then not so much! Reminds me of that bar people used to put in their steering wheel back in the day 🙂 Forget the name of it?

"Coffee, if your not shaking, you need another cup"
Flight Sim Break Discord Channel: https://discord.com/invite/fCV62Ka2QZ

22 minutes ago, in2tech said:

Still funny, unless you own a plane that someone stole the propeller. Then not so much! Reminds me of that bar people used to put in their steering wheel back in the day 🙂 Forget the name of it?

It’s not to stop them from stealing the prop, it’s to stop them from stealing the whole plane. 

Chris

1 hour ago, in2tech said:

"THE CLUB"

Funny now to think about how absolutely ubiquitous TV ads for anti-crime everything were when I was growing up. Certainly drives home just how much crime in a good chunk of the world has precipitously declined since then.

2 hours ago, honanhal said:

Funny now to think about how absolutely ubiquitous TV ads for anti-crime everything were when I was growing up. Certainly drives home just how much crime in a good chunk of the world has precipitously declined since then.

Oh I dunno. I live in a pretty nice neighborhood but I'm seeing a lot more petty property crime now than I ever have before, including in the 80's and 90's when The Club was big. It got so bad that I ended up installing security cameras to catch the stupid high school kids who keep breaking into my truck and tagging people's houses.

I think we don't see ads for The Club anymore because it took thieves about 5 minutes to figure out that you just take the steering wheel off and clamp a vise-grips to the steering column and drive the car that way (which was pretty trivial in the pre-airbag days). And because modern chipped keys have pretty much eliminated being able to steal a car by hotwiring it.

Or because the serious car thieves now have their own quick-pick tow trucks and just word not allowed the car in 30 seconds no matter what gimmicky anti-theft devices you stick on them.

On the windmilling effect, I bet they set it up so that it would make the fans spin in the wind on the big jets, and then didn't consider that props behave differently than fans.

14 hours ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

The Top Solo has a clutch that disconnects the Propeller whenever the throttle is retarded.

I know it does.  But he asked why the Top Solo prop was windmilling, and I can only assume the real-life one windmills even though it's de-coupled, because it is a light prop/spinner etc.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB