Sign in to follow this  
RandallR

PMS50 GTN750 Mod - Just Wow

3 hours ago, JeffChrisope said:

Man, this tries my patience.  Can we have just one thread here that talks about how useful/enjoyable/awesome the PMS50 GTN750 (or their GNS530/430) mod is, WITHOUT it devolving into another RXP rah-rah echo chamber?  Yes, RXP makes great products - but those products are currently not available on MSFS.  That’s the real “yawn” to me.  The PMS50 units currently do most of the things I need, and currently the whole thing is both a) actually available, and b) free.  

I agree. Two posts in, and the negativity starts.

We all know that it will take time to improve the avionics, both in the core sim as well as in regards to 3PDs. Yet we still manage to enjoy what we currently have and are appreciative of the modders who volunteer their time to rapidly improve the core sim experience.

Imagine that!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, fppilot said:

You should experience the Reality XP GTN

I have spent hundreds perhaps even thousands of hours with the Flight1 GTN 750, and I still manage to enjoy what's currently available for MSFS.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, RandallR said:

There was a thread about this mod not that long ago that drew my attention.  What worried me was the amount of users experiencing CTDs, etc., so I came into the test today not expecting much. 

The CTD had a number of causes.

One was the mod was updating the map screen too often for what the sim could handle causing memory errors.

Another was the implementing of the GTN messaging in the mod was having issues communicating with the game. 

As far  as I know both of those glitches were fixed in the latest patch.  Not sure if any others are lurking.

4 hours ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

At least we are not getting people trying to convert the thread into a discussion of how we need to bring back FSNav from way back in FS9 like happens on the main forums.

To be brutally honest I am actually somewhat pleased that P3D and XPlane are starting to disappear because the elitist super detailed ludicrously expensive but ultimately stupidly boring (for most people) study level airline stuff they had devolved into was what was killing off flight sims as a popular hobby.

Reality XP is a classical example - paying $30 to $40 US for just one Garmin flight instrument (more like $150 for a selection of a few)  is a good thing ?  it is no wonder interest in those old school sims was fading away. It was a hobby for the elite rich who justified the expense by claiming it was "study level". This GTN750 is a good product and free in it's basic form.

I don't think it is what is killing FS as a hobby.
All the predecessors of MSFS and concurrents allow both usage, like a funny game for gamers and like a hard core sim for simmers (of all level). They are all enough open (in fact, not enough closed) to permit both usage by modding very far into the core. MSFS changed that and is focused mainly on gamers, and do not permit customization for second. it is not a bad or good things, it is just different and we have to deal with this fact. Predecessors are for everybody, this new one, in is actual level, not.

I think FS will start to make things for simmers when gamers will not be interrested by MFS anymore (and it can happens very quickly).

30$ for the lifetime (years!) of such a product (i use first F1 then rxp for years during most of my flying time) when you are interrested by study level of a sim is not so expensive compare to..i don't know, the price for just a month of your internet access or mobile.
This GTN is nice and will be enough for most of users (and it is a good thing, thx to the author, really) but is, compare to an F1 or rxp, what base aircraft are compare to an A2A with accusim or a PDGM. But the author know that and is not pretending to offer the same fidelity, just something that looks like and useful for most of users.

Sorry for this "out of context" post .and have fun with this mod and MFS !

• Like 4

i9-10850k - Asus Tuf Z490+ - 32 Go DDR4 - RTX 3070 8Go MSI Trio X

So I am just testing this with the DA62 for the first time and I think it is fantastic.

I have no idea why people are bashing this, considering that:

• This mod is currently free;
  • It supports weather radar, metar and navigraph charts;
  • No need to install GTN trainers;
  • It is easily integrated into a multitude of aircraft;
  • It is actively being developed, so all missing features (like ETE, fuel planning, etc) might come at a later date.

Edited by GCBraun
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

Here are the facts:

1. Currently there is a GTN 750 available that provides you with some of the function of a complete model.

2. There is no indication that either RXP or Flight1 are anywhere close to even begin having something in the pipeline for MSFS.

You can make of this what you wish.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Ricardo41 said:

I have spent hundreds perhaps even thousands of hours with the Flight1 GTN 750, and I still manage to enjoy what's currently available for MSFS.

Same here. I don't understand what all the whining is about.  The good news is that the MSFS version of the gauge stays current with every Navigraph AIRAC. The XP11 and P3d5 versions don't.  Is the latter situation "realistic"?

The XP11 and P3d5 versions don't

1 hour ago, jabloomf1230 said:

The XP11 and P3d5 versions don't

You just don't know how to do 😉. I updated my p3dv5's one myself every month (by mself, i mean NOT by downloading from illegal site), but i admit it requires some specific knowledges.
Everyone has their own definition of "realistic" according to their expectations.
Mine is "total fidelity in functionnalities" with real unit. i don't speak only the same reaction when i press a button but all calculations too (for taws for example or FP line etc...), And with a minimum impact on sim. Those external units (less true for F1) has no impact on P3D and XP and no stability/security issue. 
Performances of FS2020 are very very good, even with small hardware, it's really impressive, but gauges system is really not efficiente in term of performance, especially those with glass cockpit and map.

i9-10850k - Asus Tuf Z490+ - 32 Go DDR4 - RTX 3070 8Go MSI Trio X

Is there a way in the GTN750 to do a direct-to waypoint/airport? I can look up nearest airport list but it seems like the only way to actually go to it is to clear out the current flight plan and make a new one, including departure airport.

3 hours ago, jabloomf1230 said:

The good news is that the MSFS version of the gauge stays current

Is the latter situation "realistic"?

Humm.  So how well can you fly the RNAV (GPS) 15 or 33 approaches into KUMP in IFR conditions (relying on the MSFS GTN)?  Can't find them?  Neither can I.  Just one of many examples.  How about the RNAV (GPS) 26L approach into KSUS, arriving from the west with a course reversal (hold) at CHADD?  That one was there in Garmin NAV databases (and RXP) as far back as 2015.  My RXP GTN database is I believe from May 2020.  My RXP GNS database is significantly more current than that.  And I have yet to find a published approach in the USA that is not in those two databases.  Incomplete databases have more flaws than slightly non-current ones.   

Edited by fppilot
  • Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

8 hours ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

The CTD had a number of causes.

As far  as I know both of those glitches were fixed in the latest patch.  Not sure if any others are lurking.

Thanks - this makes sense.  My expectations were really low from reading those previous posts.  It's what made the performance of the unit that much more surprising.  The producers of this mod had a lot of recommendations in the documentation on how to deal with CTDs specifically (including procedures and reporting) so they were obviously working to resolve them.

Randall Rocke

50 minutes ago, fppilot said:

Humm.  So how well can you fly the RNAV (GPS) 15 or 33 approaches into KUMP in IFR conditions (relying on the MSFS GTN)?  Can't find them?  Neither can I.

Does my Navigraph subscription resolve any of those issues?

Randall Rocke

2 hours ago, quantumpion said:

Is there a way in the GTN750 to do a direct-to waypoint/airport? I can look up nearest airport list but it seems like the only way to actually go to it is to clear out the current flight plan and make a new one, including departure airport.

Just click the Direct To button on the middle right of the bezel of the unit.

Edited by The_Moose
  • Like 1

Does this install in the M20? 

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

2 hours ago, quantumpion said:

Yes, there is a Direct To function.  I found the option when I was playing with the unit during my flight.  After activating it in the settings, I was not able to find it in those few moments.  Afterwards, I found this in the documentation (I will note that I got a message after passing the actual last enroute WP to Activate the Approach.  When I did so it immediately reset my course directly to the IAF):

The "Direct To button in map" option allows changing the default "Next" button of the Map pan view to "Direct To". In this way you can do a Direct To directly from the popup screen.

Now that I know this becomes a function of the Next button, I'll give it a go on my next flight.

• Like 1

Randall Rocke