Sign in to follow this  
RandallR

PMS50 GTN750 Mod - Just Wow

5 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

Does this install in the M20? 

It does if you use JD's Mod from Flightsim.to. That adds a bunch more aircraft to the GTN750 than the ones that come with it.

• Like 1

Ryzen 7 5800 x3D, Asus Tuf Gaming X570 Plus, Geforce GTX 4080 F.E., 32GB Corsair PC-3600, 1TB Samsung Evo 970 nVME SSD, 1TB Samsung Evo 870 SSD, 500GB Samsung Evo 870 SSD

I had a very early beta - and it wasn't great.  I'm going to get the latest version now and see what's working and what isn't.  

The thing is, the GTN is a modern navigator... and that's it's first job.  If it can't do that I'm not very interested.  Additional features like METARs are cool...but the MSFS weather is not accurate half the time anyway.  Charts via Navigraph are also cool but FliteCharts worked fine on the RXP/F1 versions.  Sure it wasn't always updated but it worked great.  You also need a charts sub to get it (I spent 85 USD for the annual plan).  Can we even use the mouse for panning yet?  I'm guessing no rubber band flight planning either.

Anyway I'm off to get a the latest version.

Alright so I did a little checkup to see what is working in this latest beta.  I also downloaded premium which apparently will be payware when finished.

Right off the bat - you're stuck with default Asobo flight planning.  You have to enter a departure and destination pair first on the FPL screen.  Not accurate to the real one (in real one normally your origin is already displayed then you just enter waypoints and destination at the end).  Annoying to me.

51173821442_fd8ea2e2c6_o.pngannoyed by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

I use Navigraph data.  The waypoints are in the sim but you cannot select all IAFs from the PROC screen.  In this case of RNAV(GPS) RWY 10R KFCM I must first select GEP as the transition, then go Direct YICUK.  I should be able to simple select YICUK.  Any IAF or IF's should be selectable.

51175591400_d45c2d6ccd_o.pngfcmrnav10r by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

51175591330_ab18d10167_o.pngmissingtransitions by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

RNAV 36 KFCM...can't shoot approach from OCEWA.  (Oddly enough I was able to select it as an IAF)....  but it just sequences to the FA: IJEYU

51173821397_938588c8e3_o.pngfcmrnav36 by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

51175591350_08e3d981d6_o.pngmissingOcewa by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

Cannot graphically edit the FPL.... but you can pan the flight plan map via mouse which is nice and expected.  Cannot zoom with mouse wheel.  I read on Discord that he doesn't think it will be possible because Asobo doesn't allow that or something

51175288814_7d804568e3_o.pngnographicaledit by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

I am happy to find OBS mode works!

51174723568_ed9ddbbd3d_o.pngobsyes by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

Waypoint info works and you can select the VOR freq to put it in standby 

51175288779_ea14e6f7e7_o.pngwaypointIDyes by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

Navigraph charts working great!

51175288899_97db530daa_o.pngchartsyes by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

METARs...I didn't setup my token yet but again...as far as MSFS is concerned..it doesn't read the important cloud ceilings and visibility values anyway

Overall it has some feature above and beyond the default Gxxx units...but from a navigation perspective, it falls quite short of what it should do.

Edited by ryanbatcund
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

54 minutes ago, RandallR said:

Does my Navigraph subscription resolve any of those issues?

The beta?  Yes.  The missing approaches at KUMP are there in the Navigraph beta.  But other nav database features are not and that may be due to limitations in the MSFS coding.  For instance procedure turns, course reversals, etc are still not available, and not all IAFs are available in the sim.  It appears, and I say it appears that the IAFs that are in play are those that may be exit points from published Arrivals.  GA aircraft do not typically get pushed into flying Arrival procedures that are designed to accomodate larger and faster commercial traffic.  A good example is this approach to KBUF.  MSFS with the Navigraph Beta only offers BUNGE and ROC as IAFs for the approach, which for GA forces flying unnecessary long legs. Fine for a 737.  Silly for a Bonanza or 172.  TOPKE and WASKI are not offered as IAFs.  Just an example.  In the Garmin navdata all of the IAFs are offered and usable.

image.png.1fa0b58a9308e781b43b6029ba2670e8.png

Edited by fppilot
  • Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

1 hour ago, ryanbatcund said:

Overall it has some feature above and beyond the default Gxxx units...but from a navigation perspective, it falls quite short of what it should do.

Of course...it is not ready yet and there are navigations issues to be solved, but for me it is great to have something like this that is being actively worked on.

• Like 4

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

1 hour ago, ryanbatcund said:

Also, what is the "APPR" at the bottom all about??

• Like 1

Bert

29 minutes ago, GCBraun said:

for me it is great to have something like this that is being actively worked on.

I agree with your point.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I hadn't used this before today although I knew about it, and after seeing this thread, and doing some flights in the 172 for NeoFly, I decided to get it set up. While it works and seems better than the G1000 my first complaint is it doesn't seem to remember my Navigraph info. I set it up earlier when I was just checking if it was working. This afternoon when I was in the air to my destination, I clicked on Charts and it said I hadn't logged into Navigraph. I will play with it further as I do like the looks of it. Also, the 2 airports I was going to were both Grass Strips when I got there so I doubt there were any charts anyway.

Ryzen 7 5800 x3D, Asus Tuf Gaming X570 Plus, Geforce GTX 4080 F.E., 32GB Corsair PC-3600, 1TB Samsung Evo 970 nVME SSD, 1TB Samsung Evo 870 SSD, 500GB Samsung Evo 870 SSD

2 hours ago, GCBraun said:

it is great to have something like this that is being actively worked on.

No disagreement there.  But would be much better to use a full feature set that already exists, and has so for years now.  Its beyond me why this sim's developers want to reinvent it.  After all, the existing feature set is developed and maintained by the gauge developer and manufacturer itself.

• Like 2

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

I agree with the OP's assessment: Wow! Many thanks and kudos to the developer for making this available to the community. No doubt this add-on will be improved as time goes on. Some of the limitations described above are due to the MSFS interface to Navigraph's data; both the WT CJ4 and the Aerosoft CRJ fail to pick up those other transitions to the KBUF RNAV RWY 23 approach, so the fault does not lie with the GTN750. This will eventually be worked out, and all will be good.

Cheers everyone!

John Wiesenfeld KPBI | FAA PPL/SEL/IFR in a galaxy long ago and far away | VATSIM PILOT P2

i7-11700K, 32 GB DDR4 3.6 GHz, MSI RTX 3070ti, Dell 4K monitor

20 minutes ago, Mikeingreen said:

While it works and seems better than the G1000 my first complaint is it doesn't seem to remember my Navigraph info. I set it up earlier when I was just checking if it was working.

I'm guessing you put in the Premium version and then activated/connected your Navigraph account through the setup, which is the only way that charts run through this mod?

If so, then this was also mentioned in the documentation:

Nota: You will have to reconnect Navigraph in case of CTD or if you don't leave the sim via
the Welcome screen "quit to desktop". There is no workaround to this issue at the moment.

Randall Rocke

6 hours ago, ryanbatcund said:

Thanks a lot for your in depth test!

Right now, it has ended a lot of frustration for me when making changes to approaches and navigating to alternates, etc.  It does a much better job than the g1000 mod's integration alone and gets rid of all of my tuning issues.

One question - is it common in using the RW unit for there to be so much messaging?  I really don't need to be notified of passage of each waypoint on an approach - I already have enough info on that from the PFD and the map.

Randall Rocke

6 minutes ago, RandallR said:

Thanks a lot for your in depth test!

Right now, it has ended a lot of frustration for me when making changes to approaches and navigating to alternates, etc.  It does a much better job than the g1000 mod's integration alone and gets rid of all of my tuning issues.

One question - is it common in using the RW unit for there to be so much messaging?  I really don't need to be notified of passage of each waypoint on an approach - I already have enough info on that from the PFD and the map.

Looks like the latest version gives the option to reduce the number of messages. New updates are coming out on a regular basis, so it's sometimes hard to keep up.

John Wiesenfeld KPBI | FAA PPL/SEL/IFR in a galaxy long ago and far away | VATSIM PILOT P2

i7-11700K, 32 GB DDR4 3.6 GHz, MSI RTX 3070ti, Dell 4K monitor

1 hour ago, RandallR said:

No, that is an MSFS "feature" 😉

Airspace messages need to be removable as well...

Edit: and it seems they can be disabled in the latest beta release 1.0.17.

😀

Edited by Bert Pieke
  • Like 1

Bert

8 hours ago, ryanbatcund said:

Another annoying thing:  Loading&Activating an Approach does not give you the same flightplan as Loading the Approach and then activating it from the FPL page..

• Like 1

Bert

Asobo needs to fix most of the problems with the GPS. At its core its pretty useless whether its the G1000/3000 530/430 or anything else. 

• Like 1

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom