Sign in to follow this  
ChaoticBeauty

Orbx NZ Mesh released!

50 minutes ago, Naki18 said:

Has the mesh affected any airports that you know of?  Add on or default?

There's certainly a few addons that are not compatible. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, The Moose said:

There's certainly a few addons that are not compatible. 

This brings up some interesting stuff regarding ongoing scenery releases for NZ. I'm pleased to have Orbx's mesh, mainly because I'm a local, and it didn't cost much, but I'm not sure about the long-term viability of something like this, especially for other developers. With my Prepar3d/FSX stuff the installer did the work of making any changes necessary to get my scenery working with Orbx NZ, at least until the next sim change, but with MSFS I'd like to keep away from that, especially if I get to sell via the Marketplace -- how would that work, even?

Ok, I could just release two different versions, for those with/without Orbx mesh, but I'm not too sure whether the Marketplace could deal with a 'pay for one version, own both' solution. So an official 'default' update for New Zealand would be a far better solution.

At the moment, the projects I'm working on are not affected too much with the added mesh, but a quick check of some planned projects shows that this will become an issue. Or not, depending on a few things, like actually getting accepted into the Marketplace:) 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

For me personally I see this mesh as an economical fix that I am happy to give up using if and when Asobo do a NZ world update. 

In terms of conflicts I have not seen anything too major with the NZ AUS and Milford Sound addons I have - but if there was a clash I would just disable the mesh when flying from those locations.

For me personally it makes New Zealand actually look like New Zealand 😄   The standard mesh is pretty nice but it does not really look like real world New Zealand.

Here is another clip I made with the Orbx mesh enabled - programming the GNS750 to take me direct to a nearby airfield and  then taking off from Murchison ...

This short gaming parody below shows what I mean by standard MSFS looking good but NOT actually looking like New Zealand ...

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Curious, the maker of the Freeware Mesh in Europe could fix this problems in less then a Day.

Sometimes it feels, ORBX sitting on a high ivory tower  ☹️

Edited by sal9000
corection
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Stephan from Germany

My System

3 minutes ago, sal9000 said:

Courios, the maker of the Freeware Mesh in Europa coud fix this problems in less then a Day.

Indeed. I can imagine when Orbx saw the freeware addons they didn’t exactly cheer.

Does anybody know if there‘s a quality difference between the freeware meshes and Orbx‘s, eg with regard to morphing or transparent seams? 

i9-11900K, RTX 4090, 32 GB ram, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, TCA Airbus sidestick and quadrant, Reverb G2

53 minutes ago, Shack95 said:

Indeed. I can imagine when Orbx saw the freeware addons they didn’t exactly cheer.

Does anybody know if there‘s a quality difference between the freeware meshes and Orbx‘s, eg with regard to morphing or transparent seams? 

Absolutely.   Performance is better with ORBX mesh than the freeware meshes (zero stutters/pauses which i do get in the freeware mesh areas) and ORBX have virtually eliminated the morphing problem completely.   I've not noticed any transparent seams yet in my NZ travels but im not going to claim they aren't there, just not noticed it yet in about 15 hours of flying in NZ with the mesh.

Edited by The Moose
  • Like 2

@Glenn Fitzpatrick  Thanks for the videos Glenn!  I already have the mesh, and I think it is a lot better.  Other than that, I am always amazed when I see the scenery and atmospheric effects in MSFS like in your videos.  I am wondering if that effect will ever wear off!  :biggrin:

A couple of questions if I may.  What head tracking software are you using these days?  And are you using Bijan's tree mod?

PS.  Meant to say, that video really makes me want to try the GNS750 mod. Is that the basic or premium version?

Edited by bobcat999

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

4 hours ago, bobcat999 said:

@Glenn Fitzpatrick  Thanks for the videos Glenn!  I already have the mesh, and I think it is a lot better.  Other than that, I am always amazed when I see the scenery and atmospheric effects in MSFS like in your videos.  I am wondering if that effect will ever wear off!  :biggrin:

A couple of questions if I may.  What head tracking software are you using these days?  And are you using Bijan's tree mod?

PS.  Meant to say, that video really makes me want to try the GNS750 mod. Is that the basic or premium version?

It is a really old TrackIR from the early 2000s with the old school reflector cap clip.  Except I do not use an actual cap, I find the cap peak blocks the reflectors,  I attach the clip directly to the top of my headset,  I also have the camera below the screen instead of above.

I did have various tree mods installed in the past but I have disabled them due to the recent patch changes messing them up.  I run trees on "ultra" which does help a little with LOD. The videos are basically default MSFS on mainly ultra, live weather, with the Orbx scenery,

I am currently running the Premium GNS750 as both Basic and Premium are free just at present, However the features I was using in that video such as "Direct to" are all part of the basic mod I believe.

• Like 1

Glenn, what ICAO is that in your video? Looks beautiful! Wow!

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

57 minutes ago, captain420 said:

Glenn, what ICAO is that in your video? Looks beautiful! Wow!

It is NZMR -  a little airfield on the western outskirts of the village of Murchison on the Four Rivers Highway in the Tasman region of the south island.

This is the real township looking from the east ...

image.related.StuffLandscapeSixteenByNin

• Like 2

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

5 hours ago, MarcG said:

I knew waiting would be best, free 10m DEM released on flightsim.to

Now that will be interesting to compare with the payware mesh. Would be great if somebody who owns Orbx mesh could do that. 

i9-11900K, RTX 4090, 32 GB ram, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, TCA Airbus sidestick and quadrant, Reverb G2

9 minutes ago, Shack95 said:

Now that will be interesting to compare with the payware mesh. Would be great if somebody who owns Orbx mesh could do that. 

I might if I get time. You would need to compare a lot of different areas and also check performance differences for it to be a useful comparison so a big job. 

I am a little concerned about the "interpolated" comment.  An interpolation algorithm is likely to introduce smoothing which is the opposite of what is needed here.

• Like 2

On 5/13/2021 at 10:19 AM, Farlis said:

Meshwise that couldn't be farther from the truth.

Not being familiar with that part of the globe, MSFS scenery is fine for me right out of the box, I will not recognize any difference in mesh or anything else. Come around to my neighborhood and maybe a new mesh might force me to reach for my wallet.

10 minutes ago, skipph said:

Not being familiar with that part of the globe

Basically if it looks majestic like scenery from Lord of the Rings -  it is New Zealand 😄   If it looks kinda mushy and rounded and world weary you are probably in Australia.

• Like 2