Sign in to follow this  
ChaoticBeauty

Orbx NZ Mesh released!

34 minutes ago, AnkH said:

@styckx Well, then fly in and out of Milford Sound with your lovely default mesh... and this is only one region known to many, so I bet if you are from NZ, you will be aware of many similar spots where default mesh is completely off, like in the sound. 

Same applies for me in Switzerland. The Alps mesh is just a joke, most peaks are barely recognizable.

Means: if you are happy with the default mesh: fine, but there is little to no reason why addon devs should not release addon meshes to correct bad default mesh for those who do care...

There is already mesh available for alps regions

https://flightsim.to/file/5552/italydem

Edited by arsenal82
  • Like 1

For the cost of less than 3 beers the three hours i spent in the H135 flying in the south island mountains last night was worth the entry fee alone.  

• Like 2

18 hours ago, honanhal said:

With all due respect to Orbx for trying to innovate, I'm also getting terrible flashbacks to the FSX/P3D overheated addon ecosystem. I don't want to spend $10 per country to fix morphing terrain, especially in a simulator whose greatest selling point is that it's truly global, where nearly everywhere looks good. If there's a technical fix here, I want Asobo to implement it globally. I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars to paint myself into a shrinking box of areas covered by addon scenery.

James

I totally agree with you. So tired of all that, shudder to think of the FSX days. Like you I do not want to look at a world map with some boxes outlining certain areas with addon mesh/scenery "The sim looks best when I fly in those places" Nope nope! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, styckx said:

What a strange time we live in. When MSFS came out everyone could literally not stop complimenting the scenery of the sim. Calling it the greatest thing ever. I'll never need scenery addons again!

Morphing aside, mind you, that's been there since day one you now have people throwing the baby out with the bath water over something that for all intent and purpose is generally very minor at most.

This is screenshot is default. I bet the price of the NZ Mesh if I posted "Just bought it and it looks amazing" no one would know it was just default and compliment how amazing it looks. Sure it's "only $10" but so is a nice meal. I prefer a nice meal over miniscule gains

ZjJwPED.jpg

To be honest no.

It looks pretty good but it has that weatherworn rounded melted look that all MSFS scenery has.  Parts of the world the real mountains look that way but not everywhere.

Now you may not notice the difference -  just like many people do not notice (or even prefer) the unnatural over saturated colors of the MSFS scenery or the lack of haze in the distance or the sudden abrupt cut off point for trees.  Many people do not notice these things, while for other people it is jarring and annoying and not a miniscule gain.

Ironically for some people (usually real world pilots) the sim scenery is so good that these actually minor discrepancies with what they experience in real life really stand out.

There is no right or wrong to it. You are not a "bad" simmer if you are fine with the current ultra scenery look, or high or medium for that matter.  It is a personal thing. Whether you care enough to pay $10 to get rid of that rounded off look to the mountains is another issue. That comes down to personal choice.  The same applies if you refuse to ever buy payware and insist on just using the base sim and freeware - again personal choice.

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, styckx said:

What a strange time we live in. When MSFS came out everyone could literally not stop complimenting the scenery of the sim. Calling it the greatest thing ever. I'll never need scenery addons again!

Morphing aside, mind you, that's been there since day one you now have people throwing the baby out with the bath water over something that for all intent and purpose is generally very minor at most.

I see your point and agree that we shouldn‘t forget the big picture. However, I think the mesh issues aren‘t that minor, at least in some places. I‘ve never been to NZ and I only know the scenery from documentaries and Lord of the Rings, but to me it looks quite good as is. Other places such as parts of the Alps on the other hand don‘t look that great and people have been complaining about it right from the start. Some mountains there look nowhere near their real counterparts due to the low resolution of the mesh. They even look unnatural. Also morphing isn‘t a big issue everywhere. In NZ I hardly noticed it. In updated areas such as the US or French Alps, however, it‘s very hard to ignore. Try flying over Mont Blanc low and slow and you‘ll see the terrain constantly morphing before your very eyes. My point is that overall the scenery in this sim is incredibly beautiful in most situations, that‘s one of the main reasons why I‘m enjoying it a lot. But there are also areas that are lacking and that need some work. Even the devs said they were not happy with the rendition of mountains. I don‘t think that it‘s only a getting used to things and wanting more kind of phenomenon. Some places just don‘t look good and never have. But I‘m sure they‘ll sort it out eventually. 

• Like 2

i9-11900K, RTX 4090, 32 GB ram, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, TCA Airbus sidestick and quadrant, Reverb G2

1 hour ago, arsenal82 said:

There is already mesh available for alps regions

https://flightsim.to/file/5552/italydem

I am aware of this, it is more a workaround than a good mesh, lots of glitches and bad blending and it suffers from pop ups. Hope the ORBX approach is better...

• Like 1

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

Better mesh for many mountainous regions is really needed. Canadian Rockies are of poor mesh quality, European Alps are not much better. But we don't yet know how much and in which quality MSFS/Asobo is going to deliver. I'm very willing to pay a fair prize for that. I have FSGlobalUX for P3D which covers the whole world. Let's hope that this developer can provide it for MSFS too.

• Like 1

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

Well, for me I am happy with what it cost and the end result.  It is better, but by what amount I cannot quantify.  Certainly I am happy just for the reduced morphing. :smile:

Then again the cost was not a lot for me, but I know others need to watch the pennies at times like this.  I have a monthly budget for MSFS and I am nowhere near yet.

Do I want to buy extra mesh?  No, so hopefully Asobo will gradually deliver on better mesh AND less morphing as time goes by, but I won't expect it any time soon.

This purchase was mainly just a test for me to see what is possible (don't forget they are looking at free LADAR updates to 1 meter if they can), so for now I will just enjoy New Zealand for a bit.

If they offered the UK, and the Alps at a later date, I would consider it, but that is about it.

Edited by bobcat999
  • Like 4

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

2 hours ago, styckx said:

Not really, especially for those playing at lower Terrain LOD settings, the morphing got much, much worse with the USA World Update. And with the coastline glitch workaround that the UK World Update brought, the coastlines are morphing significantly more than the mountains now.

Edited by ChaoticBeauty

First show stopper already appeared: it seems that the very nice freeware for Milford Sound from flightsim.to is not really compatible with the ORBX NZ mesh. I wonder how many other of those wonderful NZ addons on flightsim.to are rendered useless with this mesh, for me the reason to wait some weeks until it will be obvious if some of those addons are getting adjusted (or not). Bummer...

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

33 minutes ago, ChaoticBeauty said:

Not really, especially for those playing at lower Terrain LOD settings, the morphing got much, much worse with the USA World Update. And with the coastline glitch workaround that the UK World Update brought, the coastlines are morphing significantly more than the mountains now.

Sorry CB, I meant to test this Orbx mesh at lower LOD as you requested but I ran out of time last night.  I will look at it again tonight.

• Like 1

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

Just now, bobcat999 said:

Sorry CB, I meant to test this Orbx mesh at lower LOD as you requested but I ran out of time last night.  I will look at it again tonight.

Thanks, and no worries! You can take your time as I'm not looking to buy this add-on any time soon. The Orbx store now applies VAT per region so I'll have to wait for a sale sadly.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, AnkH said:

First show stopper already appeared: it seems that the very nice freeware for Milford Sound from flightsim.to is not really compatible with the ORBX NZ mesh. I wonder how many other of those wonderful NZ addons on flightsim.to are rendered useless with this mesh, for me the reason to wait some weeks until it will be obvious if some of those addons are getting adjusted (or not). Bummer...

I remember in P3D when people used addon mesh and the problems with addon airports, no suprise really. Orbx would have had to make the area around every airport untouched. Then you get shelves.

Edited by Nyxx

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

38 minutes ago, Nemo said:

I have FSGlobalUX for P3D which covers the whole world. Let's hope that this developer can provide it for MSFS too.

Then let's hope Asobo fixes terrain morphing in advance. I own FSGlobal Ultimate P3D as well, and it looks great, but despite I got rid of it because of the terrible morphing in mountains.

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 1

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

50 minutes ago, AnkH said:

I'm hoping the NZMF author will invest in the Orbx mesh and update accordingly! Orbx did a great job on NZMF in P3D, so I'm hoping they'll roll out an MSFS version.

The freeware NZQN also has (minor) elevation issues with the mesh ... still testing other areas ...

• Like 2

NZFSIM_Signature_257_60.png