Sign in to follow this  
Wise87

Any rumors to this 5.2 video guide?

I really wish they addressed the issue of LONG times parsing scenery entries in addons.cfg. There's only one single CPU thread being used (at 100%) while the rest of the cores is just sitting there waiting. With 400+ entries in that file, it takes around FIVE minutes just to get to the aircraft selection screen. Sigh.

CASE: Custom ALU 5.3L CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4060 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

20 minutes ago, Nuno Pinto said:

I really wish they addressed the issue of LONG times parsing scenery entries in addons.cfg. There's only one single CPU thread being used (at 100%) while the rest of the cores is just sitting there waiting. With 400+ entries in that file, it takes around FIVE minutes just to get to the aircraft selection screen. Sigh.

That I agree. Perhaps there is a way to take even more load of the main thread core and put that on a seperate core.

• Like 1

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Adam has changed the name of the vid to Update P3D ......

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

The reference to V5.2 within the title of the video has now been deleted

The title now reads " UPDATE P3D IN 5 EASY STEPS"

I was under the impression that LM  had made the P3D update process as easy as possible.  The P3D logo gives the impression that this video is endorsed by LM

Clive Alexander

I have just watched the video titled UPDATE P3D IN 5 EASY STEPS, by Adam J Pestridge (previously titled UPDATE P3D v5.2 IN 5 EASY STEPS) which contains the P3D logo and therefore gives the impression that it is endorsed by LM

I have never experienced "5 Easy Steps" become so confusing, and contradictory. From what I know of this guy's system the process which he goes through is only meant for his glitchy system but he has convinced himself that this is the correct way to do it. The way in which he speaks gives a very good impression that he knows what he is talking about, however, what he does say is confusing, condescending, and contradictory

For any new use to P3D I would advise not to follow the advice given by Adam J Pestridge but to read the LM documentation as LM have made the process so easy and straightforward, I have always followed the LM documentation and have never had a problem.

Clive Alexander

• Like 1

Here is the 15 minutes and 19 seconds condensed into five lines of text.

1. using the Windows Control Panel, uninstall the P3D v5 client and when asked if you want to deactivate P3D v5, answer No.

2. Then uninstall the content and then the scenery and finally the top P3D v5 entry in the Windows Control Panel.

3. You will now be left with a P3D v5 root folder that contains only files that you have added. If you added none, it will be empty.

4. Run Setup_Prepar3D.exe in your decompressed download from your P3D account as an administrator.

Make sure that the target directory is the one you are left with after the uninstallation.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Reader said:

1. using the Windows Control Panel, uninstall the P3D v5 client and when asked if you want to deactivate P3D v5, answer No.

2. Then uninstall the content and then the scenery and finally the top P3D v5 entry in the Windows Control Panel.

Did he explain, why to uninstall client and content in two steps instead of just one step?

I usually uninstall the whole thing, install the whole new version. The only thing that gives work are addons, which are overwritten by the sim, e.g. texture packs.

OS=WIN11 Home, Sim=P3D5 5.4 (P3D4 and FSX for install reasons)
Addons=ORBX, ASCA, AS, TOGA and tons of sceneries, aircraft

MB=Gigabyte AORUS Z790 Elite AX, CPU=i13900K, Cooling=Be quiet! Pure Loop II FX
GPU=KFA2 RTX3090 24 GB, RAM=64 GB DDR5-5600, HOTAS=Logitech G Saitek X52 Pro

Visit my website for fixes and addons: https://sites.google.com/view/dans-p3d-mods

I never update that way.. I rather do a full uninstall, re-install, re-activate and I am up and running.. less steps and less posible something will go wrong.

S.

Edited by simbol

And of course in the first 45 seconds he suggests doing a full wipe of your add-ons, which is completely unnecessary and throws out the whole point of LM's installation process.

+1 on staying away from this guy. I saw his video on HDR some time ago and what he says is utterly incorrect and poorly informed. A 10 second web search would have told him as much. 
Why he bothers to produce this nonsense is beyond me, but I suppose nobody has to watch it - which I would strongly recommend. 

• Like 2

Formally screen name was Alex_YSSY until the forum software ate my account  ^_^

On 5/24/2021 at 9:53 AM, Nuno Pinto said:

I assume most of these addon entries would be sceneries?

If so, why not deactivate them while you don't need them? I usually only keep those sceneries (airports, landclasses/meshes, etc.) active where I'm actually flying to. This way my sim loads up quickly and I can track down issues more easily should they arise. Just a tip.

If you have 3PD files say in the default Effects folder, will a new full install create a new Effects folder in the main directory or will it add the files to your existing Effects folder?

Eric 

9 hours ago, thepilot said:

I assume most of these addon entries would be sceneries?

If so, why not deactivate them while you don't need them? I usually only keep those sceneries (airports, landclasses/meshes, etc.) active where I'm actually flying to. This way my sim loads up quickly and I can track down issues more easily should they arise. Just a tip.

Too much hassle. I don't want to think what i need to disable to fly from X to Y and besides, i fly so much it would be unbearable.

CASE: Custom ALU 5.3L CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4060 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11