Sign in to follow this  
Seat*

Very dark cockpit in 5.2

On 7/9/2021 at 5:26 PM, mikeymike said:

Will this be addressed in next update ??

as I like flying the qw 787 EA on vol clouds off with ASCA which I like.

thou the dark cockpit is really annoying me.

cheers 

mike

This is due the Addons are developed for prior P3D V5 releases (V3 or V4) and developers did NOT update the texture files. I had an Information from a developer for the new iFly 737, he explained this very clear. Since P3D V5 there is a new lighting engine (TrueSky and Legacy got updated too). Since this most Addons Aircraft must get updates....which a lot of 3th Party probably won´t do.

So it´s NOT a LM P3D issue.........

PMPDG did partly update, QW not, iFly did develop from scratch (737) on bases V5....and and and.

Marcus

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

11 hours ago, Samaritano said:

@BiologicalNanobot Does this mod still work for the latest v5.3? Cockpits still too dark.

Hi, I am really busy with school and work so didn't have time to test it in v5.3 so far. I will inform you once I get my v5.3 setup running.

PC specs: i5-12400F, RTX 3070 Ti and 32 GB of RAM.

Simulators I'm using: X-Plane 12, Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) and FlightGear.

1 hour ago, BiologicalNanobot said:

Hi, I am really busy with school and work so didn't have time to test it in v5.3 so far. I will inform you once I get my v5.3 setup running.

The HDR.hlsl file shipped with 5.3 is exactly the same as that which came with 5.2.

I've tested the mod now in 5.3 and it seems to work in that the sim doesnt crash.  However, I still need to use FSL Spotlights myself to make some VC's it as I want it.

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

A suggestion for those suffering from a dark cockpit... go to Options/Lighting/Shadows and under "Cast" uncheck the "InternalVehicle" option. Previously, I turned off EA for a brighter cockpit but now I can run EA/HDR with this unchecked.

This simple step made a huge difference on my system, especially in VR! Your mileage may vary.

• Like 1

System: i7-10700K, Asus Formula XII, 32GB ram, Samsung 2TB NVMe SSD, EVGA FTW 3090, HP Reverb G2 headset

Hardware: VitualFly Yoko yoke, VirtualFly TQ6 throttle quadrant, Thrustmaster TPR pedals, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS

Simulations: MSFS 2020 (VR), P3Dv5.3 (VR), X-Plane 11.5 (VR), DCS (VR)

8 minutes ago, BigG433 said:

go to Options/Lighting/Shadows and under "Cast" uncheck the "InternalVehicle" option.

But you will lose cockpit shadows, which are an amazing thing to have, I guess.

On 12/7/2021 at 1:22 AM, CaptainIronside said:

I'm using it currently with 5.3 and it seems to be working well. 

On 12/7/2021 at 1:15 PM, kevinfirth said:

The HDR.hlsl file shipped with 5.3 is exactly the same as that which came with 5.2.

I've tested the mod now in 5.3 and it seems to work in that the sim doesnt crash.  However, I still need to use FSL Spotlights myself to make some VC's it as I want it.

How did you guys get it to work in 5.3? It barely makes a difference as the cockpits are still way too dark.

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

I haven’t seemed to figure out if there is a difference in 5.3.  Seems to still be a very dark cockpit like 5.2 and before to me.

Kyle Weber (Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer)
Check out my repaints and downloads, all right here on AVSIM

1 hour ago, threegreen said:

How did you guys get it to work in 5.3? It barely makes a difference as the cockpits are still way too dark.

Like.i said, it's patchy, some a/c still need spotlights to get it ok.  

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

4 minutes ago, CaptKornDog said:

I haven’t seemed to figure out if there is a difference in 5.3.  Seems to still be a very dark cockpit like 5.2 and before to me.

4 minutes ago, kevinfirth said:

Like.i said, it's patchy, some a/c still need spotlights to get it ok.  

Actually, I've experimented a bit and got a very good result. I used Envshade prior to 5.3 to lighten up the dark cockpits (which was never quite enough), but in 5.3 neither Envshade nor the tweak posted by @BiologicalNanobot alone give me good results. If I crank up the cockpit brightness with the Envshade tweak like another user mentioned before in this thread (manually in the general.fx file) the cockpits look bright but very cartoonish, while the HDR.hlsl tweak doesn't really make much of a difference in 5.3.

What I did now is the following:

1. Restore original shaders and start the sim to rebuild the shaders
2. Apply Envshade a/c shadows depth tweak (very low) so you get the Envshade entry in the General.fx file and let the sim rebuild the updated shaders
3. Apply the HDR file tweak and rebuild the updated shaders
4. Adjust the Envshade entry (const float Envshade_AircraftBrightness_Multiplier) in the General.fx file as needed. Negative values make the cockpit brighter.

Delete the Shaders folder in local app data on every change to clear the shaders cache. I don't use the clear cache function in Envshade because I don't know if Envshade will alter the modded HDR file in any way.

This is what my PMDG NGXu cockpit looks like now which was way too dark before. Now it looks pretty much just like the real cockpit. I also noticed when comparing screenshots that the above steps not only brighten up the cockpit enough to be realistic, but also give the outside environment a nice, realistic touch which seems more natural than the original look. It seems the mix of Envshade and the HDR file tweak does the job very well.

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

So there is something really different to 5.2. I have to put my Envshade_AircraftBrightness_Multiplier) to - 1.5 ore even further down to have the same brightness  in 5.3 HF plus plus as in 5.2  This is just with the FsLabs. 

Any one else? 

Bruno

Bruno 

1 hour ago, bakerman said:

So there is something really different to 5.2. I have to put my Envshade_AircraftBrightness_Multiplier) to - 1.5 ore even further down to have the same brightness  in 5.3 HF plus plus as in 5.2  This is just with the FsLabs. 

Any one else? 

Bruno

Same here. I have mine at -1.20 now with the fix I posted above (NGXu) and I'm using higher HDR brightness tweaked to my VR headset, so with lower HDR brightness closer to default that multiplier can easily be as high as you describe.

12 hours ago, bakerman said:

Any one else? 

Bruno

Doesn’t that make the brightness of the aircraft exterior rather light though, adjusting the multiplier even more negative?

4 hours ago, CaptKornDog said:

Doesn’t that make the brightness of the aircraft exterior rather light though, adjusting the multiplier even more negative?

No there is not much difference, at least I can't see any. 

Bruno

Bruno 

I use the HDR Brightness control with Chaseplane which can be used for VC,Outside and world cameras on the go. 

Michael Moe 

• Upvote 1

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

On 12/27/2021 at 5:02 AM, Michael Moe said:

I use the HDR Brightness control with Chaseplane which can be used for VC,Outside and world cameras on the go. 

Michael Moe 

It seems that, in the VC, it increases the brightness of both the brightness of the VC but also the outside world.