Sign in to follow this  
vonduck

Unreal Weather 1.7 -still worth it?

Hi chaps, Ive been using the little mod unreal weather 1.7 for live weather...

As things change so fast in the sim world, is this still the go or is the default live weather now pretty good?

Cheers

Doug

i9 13900KF @ 5.5Ghz | MoBo MSI PRO Z690-A WiFi | Corsair Vengeance Black RGB RS 64gb DDR4 3200MHz | PNY RTX 4090 XLR Gaming Verto EPIC-X RGB TF | MP33 Pro 1TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD for OS | Samsung 870 QVO 2.5" 4TB SSD SATA2 | Corsair RM1000X 2021 1000W 80 Plus Gold PSU | Antec Dark Fleet DF700 Flux Gaming Case | Win 11 home | LG 48" C2 OLED 4K TV | G512 Keyboard | Razer Basilisk V2 Mouse | TCA Throttle, Sidestick and addons, peddles, TM1600 Hotas | TrackIR 5 | Tobii Eye Tracker | HP Reverb G2 HMD

Doug 

21 minutes ago, vonduck said:

As things change so fast in the sim world, is this still the go or is the default live weather now pretty good?

Cheers

Doug

Yes for accurate terminal areas. LIVE weather is much improved and good en-route and often times in terminals as well. Just personal preference.

SAR Pilot. Flight Sim'ing since the beginning.

I mainly use Unreal , which is better for my opinion.

Intel i7-9700K - Asus Nvidia RTX 2080 Super - 32 Gb Ram - SSD Drive - Win10 x64 - Samsung 43" 4K TV

Thanks guys, appreciated!

i9 13900KF @ 5.5Ghz | MoBo MSI PRO Z690-A WiFi | Corsair Vengeance Black RGB RS 64gb DDR4 3200MHz | PNY RTX 4090 XLR Gaming Verto EPIC-X RGB TF | MP33 Pro 1TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD for OS | Samsung 870 QVO 2.5" 4TB SSD SATA2 | Corsair RM1000X 2021 1000W 80 Plus Gold PSU | Antec Dark Fleet DF700 Flux Gaming Case | Win 11 home | LG 48" C2 OLED 4K TV | G512 Keyboard | Razer Basilisk V2 Mouse | TCA Throttle, Sidestick and addons, peddles, TM1600 Hotas | TrackIR 5 | Tobii Eye Tracker | HP Reverb G2 HMD

Doug 

I simply could not accept the fact that you have just one weather theme till the horizon, is this still the case? 

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

17 minutes ago, AnkH said:

I simply could not accept the fact that you have just one weather theme till the horizon, is this still the case? 

I'm not sure what you mean sorry?

Doug 

14 minutes ago, vonduck said:

I'm not sure what you mean sorry?

You're not flying through weather systems. Instead it depicts one "global" weather theme.

• Like 2

Intel i9-13900K | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Master | RTX4090 | 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6000 | Be quiet! Pure Loop 2 FX AiO | Win 11

I use it when on the ground or in the vicinity of my departure or destination airport. In between I switch to Live Weather.

6 minutes ago, JWvdH said:

I use it when on the ground or in the vicinity of my departure or destination airport. In between I switch to Live Weather.

Well, not to bad of an idea, thanks for this

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

It reads the weather from weather stations as the aircraft moves from one to the other. This would appear to be as near to the effect of live weather as it is possible to be, unless the MSFS Live weather option is in some way able to detect the weather without the need for weather stations. I use Unreal weather all the time and I am very grateful for the freeware addon.

Edited by Reader

1 hour ago, Reader said:

It reads the weather from weather stations as the aircraft moves from one to the other.

But it always depicts the same weather until the horizon, no? So it is basically impossible that you have e.g. one half of the sky covered with almost overcast clouds and the other half of the sky without a single cloud, like you see often when a weather front is above you. At least I have never seen a screenshot of neither Unreal Weather or REX weather depicting something like this, while the internal weather engine is capable of showing various skies in a rather limited area easily...

And what about the transition then? If weather station A is reading 6/8 overcast and the next, some 20 miles further, reads 1/8 clouds? Is it smooth?

Edited by AnkH

Greetings, Chris

In the current state of Live Weather I believe it depends on where your flying takes place. I am flying in Europe and I'm mostly satisfied with the accuracy of Live weather so far (after they fixed several issues like weather loading 12 hours in advance, stuck weather for weeks or lightning all over the place). However, as I also like to take the occasional flight in Florida, my expierience differs as I am under the impression that LIve weather isn't able to depict the local weather satisfactory. I think it has to do with the Meteoblue weather model having difficulties to depict building thunderstorms due to lability in the atmosphere alone contrary to the cold front related convection we mostly encounter in Europe. So i often see whispy clouds with lightning where there should be towering cumulus or CBs, and the airport weather - aside from the METAR based wind, temperature and QNH - often doesn't come close to what you can expect from satellite imagery or see in webcam pictures. The potential is there, but the implementation still needs to go a long way to deserve the title "Live". Thankfully it was promised in one of the Q&A's that they would redo the weather implementation some day.

Gigabyte Aorus Z390Master, i9-9900k @ 5.1 Ghz all cores, RTX 2080, 32 GB RAM

Weathers been fine wherever i have flown in Europe for at least a couple of months now. And certainly no weather to the horizon as you put it. Infact i now see very little difference in what i see and the reports in that area at the time.

Edited by Car147

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d, MSI X570 Pro, 32 gb DDR4 3600 ram, Gigabyte 6800 16gb GPU, 1x 2tb Samsung  NvMe , 2x 1tb Sabrent NvME, 1x Crucial SSD,

8 hours ago, vonduck said:

Cheers

Doug

I believe due to personal experience and to reports here from around the world that the default live weather has improved but that varies region to region.  I have several times in the past requested that statements/reports about live weather accuracy, pro/con, be appended with details on what region(s) were in play.

• Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

5 hours ago, Reader said:

unless the MSFS Live weather option is in some way able to detect the weather without the need for weather stations.

The MSFS Live weather uses Meteoblue's forecasted weather, not weather stations.

Asobo claims they use METAR data for the ground weather when you're at an airport though.

Edited by Tuskin38
  • Upvote 1