Sign in to follow this  
Fielder

1946 The war is over! Cessna announces the 140 !

Oh boy DC-3.  I'm in.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

Mind you the depth of the water is about 2 feet wherever you go so you could probably get out and walk.

Hey, if we ever get an avatar mode this could be fun!

Got this and rather like it. Be nice to have some lightly worn versions of all the liveries and internals though, it's all a just a teensy bit shiny (apart fom the single worn one). Hmm, I just thought, wouldn't it be great to have the ability to just get mucky over time built in to the sim, Little bit of rain streaking and dust would do wonders for that ultimate realism.

Edited by andy1252
added text

Ryzen 9 7900X, Corsair H150 AIO cooler, 64 Gb DDR5, Asus X670E Hero m/b, 3090ti, 13Tb NVMe, 8Tb SSD, 16Tb HD, 55" Philips 4k HDR monitor, EVGA 1600w ps, all in Corsair 7000D airflow case.

1 minute ago, andy1252 said:

Hey, if we ever get an avatar mode this could be fun!

its already in, its called drone, it is perfect for 'walking' around.

2 minutes ago, wim123 said:

its already in, its called drone, it is perfect for 'walking' around.

I know about the drone cam, I meant an actual avatar character as in P3D, get one of those walking on water and I can see all sorts of fun here.

• Like 1

Ryzen 9 7900X, Corsair H150 AIO cooler, 64 Gb DDR5, Asus X670E Hero m/b, 3090ti, 13Tb NVMe, 8Tb SSD, 16Tb HD, 55" Philips 4k HDR monitor, EVGA 1600w ps, all in Corsair 7000D airflow case.

2 minutes ago, andy1252 said:

I know about the drone cam, I meant an actual avatar character as in P3D, get one of those walking on water and I can see all sorts of fun here.

yes, and then they should add a ball , and some coding so we can play soccer on the runway too.

match of the year: casuals against simmers.

• Like 1

I did plan on buying this, was a little cheaper on the Orbx site and ended up getting it. Good fun, I like it. You have to be patient: there is not getting anywhere fast but it feels like it represents a GA aircraft from the era well. Looking forward to what else Aeroplane Heaven comes up with. 

On 7/6/2021 at 7:51 AM, Todd2 said:

The sounds are great they are just too loud in the cockpit

Before every C140 flight, I do a 10 second fix, and then reset it after.

'AIRCRAFT ENGINES' slider effects only engine sounds, nothing else (seven lines below the one highlighted in this picture off the internet).

2e0669af23eb7d74232ea7faf32f7a2f9b6219f9

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

On 7/6/2021 at 11:09 AM, riverreveal said:

Cessna 140 by Aeroplane Heaven - First impressions

This is the only video I have found online so far. Not a review, but gives a good idea of what it's like.

16:00 into video, the C key allowed him to move the control surfaces in drone mode. Hit C again and resumed flying around in the drone. (never knew this before, I learn something new all the time). 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

The AOPA website has a good run down of the real thing:

https://www.aopa.org/go-fly/aircraft-and-ownership/aircraft-fact-sheets/cessna-120-140

Pilots who have an eye for form and function will probably agree that the Cessna 120 and its sibling, the 140, are airplanes that have eye appeal. The rounded rudder, conventional landing gear, and overall proportions create the classic lightplane look. When Cessna flooded the lightplane market with these beauties following the end of World War II, few people realized how important this honest little airplane would turn out to be in the history and development of the Cessna Airplane Company.

The 140 and its lean little brother, the 120, jump-started Cessna's transition to a peacetime business after World War II. Between 1946 and 1951, when production of the 140 ended, more than 7,500 of these airplanes had rolled out the doors in Wichita. Not only did this airplane provide a tremendous economic boost for postwar Cessna, the design also helped establish the strut-braced single-engine line of Cessnas as airframes that could, to borrow a line from Timex, "take a licking and keep on ticking."

The stark little 120 listed at $2,695. The 140 differed from the 120 since it was equipped with an electrical system, featuring a Delco Remy generator and a pull cable-actuated starter, split-type wing flaps, quarter windows behind each door, and tube-and-fabric wings. The list price for a 140 was $2,995. The airplanes were an immediate success.

The 140A was introduced in 1949 with new all-metal wings that were first developed in 1948 for the four-place 170 program. In three years of production, 525 140A airplanes were sold.

By all accounts the engineers at Cessna designed an honest, well-mannered airplane. Leighton Collins, in an April 1, 1946, article in Air Facts, said this about an early 140: "The stability situation, then, would seem to be that it is about evenly apportioned around the three axes and is just a little more than neutral. That makes for a ship which doesn't overwork you in rough air, one which is responsive, and one which is nice on instruments." In other words, the 140 flies well and doesn't have any designed-in bad habits, although changing to metal wings removes some of the aileron response, according to David Lowe (past president of the International Cessna 120/140 Association and an experienced 120/140 mechanic).

Depending on the engine (STCs are available for up to 135 hp) and the propeller installed, cruising fuel consumption ranges from around five to seven gallons per hour, with a clean, straight airplane achieving cruise speeds of about 105 to 110 mph (91 to 95 kt). With 25 gallons of fuel, this translates to about four and a half hours of duration and a 500-statute-mile range. The operation manual, a book from a simpler time, lists 21.5 miles per gallon at 2,400 rpm in the performance charts. 140A models, and 140s with larger engines and cruise props, reportedly clip along at up to 125 mph (108 kt).

The 120 had no flaps, but in reality the split-type flaps on the 140 weren't much more than small speed brakes. Pilots transitioning from Cessnas equipped with the powerful Fowler-type flaps that are standard equipment on all Cessna singles built from the mid-1950s on will have to develop some new speed-control discipline if they want to consistently show off their spot-landing skills. Accordingly, the rudder has enough power to make speed control via the sideslip method a routine matter.

The 120, 140, and 140A all exhibit good manners on the ground and have enough rudder authority to handle most crosswind situations with aplomb. Pilots who are always conscious of the wind direction and counter these conditions with the correct control inputs find that this airplane does not make them look bad, or swap ends unexpectedly on the ground. In spite of the airplane's capabilities, Lowe suggests that 100 percent of the fleet has probably been ground looped at least once over the past 50 years.

If a pilot somehow ground loops his 140 at any more than taxi speeds, it's probable that the landing gear boxes in the fuselage will be damaged. The spring-steel landing gear is a low-drag and low-maintenance system, but this is offset by the fact that these legs are stronger than the gear boxes that support them. Inspection of the front doorpost/gear box area is critical during all prepurchase and annual inspections. The airframe is easy to repair and if the repair is done well, it will be almost undetectable and the airplane will fly fine.

On 7/5/2021 at 10:06 PM, Target71 said:

I still don't know why I am getting nothing from the ammeter, the screen shots from Todd2 seem to show it working...I am using add on linker...maybe that's an issue. I am getting pretty close to 105mph with 2350RPM  at 1000 ft in Macon GA

edit2: it works with a runway start...but not from parking spot start. I will report...anybody else notice this behavior?

Wbfe827.jpg

See my post here, looks the same issue http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php/124794-Cessna-140-by-Aeroplane-Heaven-released?p=1265996&viewfull=1#post1265996 .

Edited by YoYo
  • Upvote 1

Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.
Yoyosimsbanner.gif
Win 10 64, i9 9900k, RTX 3090 24Gb, RAM32Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: HP Reverb G2

Finally got around to picking this one up. Grabbed it from Orbx.

Slow with lots of character, really liking it so far.

One oddity is the mixture seems reversed to the normal Cessna Vernier, that may well be a teething bug.

Knocked up a video of my first flight in it (Murchison live weather - in other words raining):

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick
  • Like 1

Looks great but is it study level? 😄

• Like 1

Perhaps the patch for C140 will be in this weekend or soon after the weekend.

Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.
Yoyosimsbanner.gif
Win 10 64, i9 9900k, RTX 3090 24Gb, RAM32Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: HP Reverb G2

The first patch is released but has not hit the Orbx store yet so cannot really comment on it yet.

Apparently the patch Includes a non-amphibious float variant (has floats but not wheels) .

• Model reconfigured to give choice of SPATS, NO SPATS or BUSHWHEELS selectable directly in the sim without the need for separate models.
  • Floatplane Version added
  • G1000 replaced with more compact, user friendly, optional avionics suite comprising:

GNS 430 (GPS)
GTX 328 Transponder
S-Tec 55 Autopilot

• Numerous texture improvements
  • Rain effect reversed to fall in the correct direction.
  • Missing rear left quarter cabin structure textures replaced in all liveries
  • Revised electrics code to allow for continuous alternator operation
  • Revised engine code
  • Revised fuel-burn

We have V1.1 available now guys!

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick
  • Like 2