Sign in to follow this  
jarmstro

X-Planes big chance!

The MSFS sim update 5 has dumbed down the graphics to achieve a significant performance increase. However, and trust me I've played about with every setting, it now looks like nothing special at all. In fact the sim looks awful. Now is the chance for LR to show their metal and get XP12 released. Will they grasp this opportunity? 

Have you seen this?

I'd say that's a big step in the right direction.

• Like 3

Well, I have to disagree with jamstro, although I do look forward for XP12 to bring it's new Energy to the playground 🙂

I liked to watch the Webinar. I always like to see Austin talking and showing how positive and objective-oriented and faithful to his beliefs he is, and I am sure XP12 is going to be a good reason for me to use my new 1 TB NVme 2 SSD, but, saying MFS SU5 is a step backward is something I really have to point out was NOT my experience, quite on the contrary..

This being said, there has never had to be a 2nd chance for X-Plane, in my case - X-Plane is right where it has always been, with specificity and detail that is, in some aspects, unique to it, ease of use ( just compare it's user interface with that of MFS, which I do find awful and complex... ). 

Both great platforms, and glad I can have both !

Edited by jcomm
  • Like 7
  • Upvote 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

1 hour ago, jcomm said:

Well, I have to disagree with jamstro, although I do look forward for XP12 to bring it's new Energy to the playground 🙂

I liked to watch the Webinar. I always like to see Austin talking and showing how positive and objective-oriented and faithful to his beliefs he is, and I am sure XP12 is going to be a good reason for me to use my new 1 TB NVme 2 SSD, but, saying MFS SU5 is a step backward is something I really have to point out was NOT my experience, quite on the contrary..

This being said, there has never had to be a 2nd chance for X-Plane, in my case - X-Plane is right where it has always been, with specificity and detail that is, in some aspects, unique to it, ease of use ( just compare it's user interface with that of MFS, which I do find awful and complex... ). 

Both great platforms, and glad I can have both !

My guess is that Asobo will eventually reinstate the options to get the visual quality back for pc users.  My point was that this brief space in time was the opportunity to release XP12 and regain some status. Webinars and eulogy don't impress me I am afraid. 

Watching the interview, it's clear Austin has no intention to compete or go after MSFS users, and is making the sim as he wants it. His reasoning was that it would be silly just to try and copy MSFS instead of giving users the choice between 2-3 different sims that work in different ways. 

They had this chance when FSX was cancelled, and the same when MS Flight failed, and again when FSW failed.... it's clear they aren't fazed by what others are doing and are just doing their thing.

P.S. @jarmstro  I noticed you had your account branded "MSFS troll" over at X-Plane... Was that you, or did some mod over there edit it? :blink:

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, jarmstro said:

My point was that this brief space in time was the opportunity to release XP12 and regain some status. 

I probably don't know what I'm talking about (rarely do), but I doubt X-Plane needs to regain status. I've been on MSFS since day 1 and love it to death (including SU-5---works beautifully for me), and I've never used X-Plane as my primary use for FS is exploring the world.

That said, my time in MSFS has increased my interest in aviation exponentially and I'm learning things (albeit slowly) about aviation that I always assumed I'd ignore. A side effect of this is that I always keep one eye on X-Plane 12's development. I know many hold it in high regard for a reason, and while I do place a lot of priority on plug-and-play world exploration, I could definitely see a situation in which X-Plane became a part of my simming experience because of its status.

4 minutes ago, tonywob said:

P.S. @jarmstro  I noticed you had your account branded "MSFS troll" over at X-Plane... Was that you, or did some mod over there edit it? :blink:

No it was me. I just happen to enjoy both sims. But you have to hate MSFS on the Org. But yes, a mod edited my post and then banned me.

Edited by jarmstro

Those trees look good. Absolutely. I will definitely get XP12 the day it is released, no doubt about it. 

That said, though. MSFS has hardly been "dumbed down"; it is still vastly superior to everything else in the looks department. Saying MSFS looks awful in that context is hilarious. The biggest issue right now with MSFS is the CTDs (but a hotfix seems to be on the way). Other than that it is coming along nicely; lots of goodies on the way.

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

3 minutes ago, Swe_Richard said:

Those trees look good. Absolutely. I will definitely get XP12 the day it is released, no doubt about it. 

That said, though. MSFS has hardly been "dumbed down"; it is still vastly superior to everything else in the looks department. Saying MSFS looks awful in that context is hilarious. The biggest issue right now with MSFS is the CTDs (but a hotfix seems to be on the way). Other than that it is coming along nicely; lots of goodies on the way.

I can only report what I see with my own eyes. A huge fps increase but at the cost of the superb visuals which were the hallmark of the sim. To me it now looks little better than X-Plane with OrbX and X-Vision. 

3 minutes ago, jarmstro said:

I can only report what I see with my own eyes. A huge fps increase but at the cost of the superb visuals which were the hallmark of the sim. To me it now looks little better than X-Plane with OrbX and X-Vision. 

Good for you then. I would love to have my XP look like MSFS. 

• Upvote 1

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

My MSFS after the last SU5 update looks and is finally 1000% perfect.
After starting, only a black screen appears ... and that would be it with my attempts with MSFS ;-). 
For now, I have uninstalled it.

2 hours ago, tonywob said:

Watching the interview, it's clear Austin has no intention to compete or go after MSFS users, and is making the sim as he wants it. His reasoning was that it would be silly just to try and copy MSFS instead of giving users the choice between 2-3 different sims that work in different ways.

Good, exactly as it should be. Although I’ve only been an XP user since version 10 I like their style of doing a smaller number of things very smartly. Frankly all these ‘XP must do this to compete’ threads that the OP seems to love so much really miss the mark of what keeps XPlane going and, incrementally, popular. Not that we all wouldn’t welcome some quicker change in some departments…

If changes in the lighting, scenery and clouds track the great improvements they’ve shown with vegetation, I’ll be in no matter what any competition is doing at the time.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 6

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

6 hours ago, jarmstro said:

The MSFS sim update 5 has dumbed down the graphics to achieve a significant performance increase. However, and trust me I've played about with every setting, it now looks like nothing special at all. In fact the sim looks awful.

That’s really not what I’m seeing. There have been some changes, some not good, but they can be countered with cfg changes and with the new smoothness, MSFS continues to offer immersion nobody else is (currently).

• Like 2

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

I think the problem with SU5 on MSFS are teething problems that are normal for a very invasive change to the way that rendering works. The whole thing reminds me a bit of the transition to Vulkan, it is 2 steps forward, 1 step back. Some are affected by problems, most aren´t and love it.

X-Plane 12 will not be here fast enough to "take advantake" of this particular (short) time of trouble for MSFS, Asobo will iron those out and people are going to get used to the "popping" in and other things.

Performance and looks are always a balance - and peoples perception of "smooth" are varying wildly, too. I have a buddy who runs all of his games at maximum settings, no matter what. He stutters through shooters, strategy games, whatever...if its over 10fps, he is a happy man. For me anything under 30 is causing me headaches, but I really don´t care about SSAO or 8xAA at all...just shows you how different users are, and its impossible to please everyone.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Janov said:

I think the problem with SU5 on MSFS are teething problems that are normal for a very invasive change to the way that rendering works. The whole thing reminds me a bit of the transition to Vulkan, it is 2 steps forward, 1 step back. Some are affected by problems, most aren´t and love it.

X-Plane 12 will not be here fast enough to "take advantake" of this particular (short) time of trouble for MSFS, Asobo will iron those out and people are going to get used to the "popping" in and other things.

Performance and looks are always a balance - and peoples perception of "smooth" are varying wildly, too. I have a buddy who runs all of his games at maximum settings, no matter what. He stutters through shooters, strategy games, whatever...if its over 10fps, he is a happy man. For me anything under 30 is causing me headaches, but I really don´t care about SSAO or 8xAA at all...just shows you how different users are, and its impossible to please everyone.

Well I certainly notice a visual downgrade. And there is no way to compensate for it. Even my poor old PC is now able to run the sim with pretty much everything on Ultra which is just plain ridiculous. And it still looks far worse than it did before the update. Apparently an HDR monitor is now a must or maybe a telly.

Still, I've been cheered up no end by the X-Plane news! I can't wait! No, really, I can't wait.😀 Maybe by Christmas?

Edited by jarmstro
  • Like 2