Sign in to follow this  
Matt B

Let's give Update 5 a fair assessment!

5 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

And that's what I saw yesterday when I was looking from FL250

After all the yelling about it being horrible I was surprised.

I wasn't yelling, myself, but I was one of those folks that saw it so I was definitely concerned.  I've been flying the rivets off of the CJ4 and had a pretty big "oh word starts with C and ends with P" moment.

Edited by Gregg_Seipp
  • Like 1

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

1 hour ago, Bobsk8 said:

It was much more realistic with SU4. 

Looking into my crystal ball…I see…I see…wait it is coming clear now…I see SU6! I also see posts on the Avsim forums. I can’t quite make them out…wait! Yes I see it now…a post saying:

”It was much more realistic with SU5.”

😉

• Like 3

Chris

3 hours ago, Alpine Scenery said:

What does the Xbox version have to do with the PC version, we already know they are separate.

We?? you mean you, I have no insight of MS business model.

Edited by CarlosF

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

What is amazing with this SU5 (no hotfix shot) is that I actually manage to see the very small island Hållö that is 130 kilometers from my plane. I have a feeling I would not be able to do that in FS9 🙂

Look at the red box. I was there not long ago and it has some aeronautical interest. During the war Sweden flew courier planes at night to Scotland. The famous danish scientist Niels Bohr who was a member of the Manhattan Project escaped german occupied Denmark and was flown in one of these courier planes from Sweden to Scotland. As I am anyway off topic it was not an easy flight in the bomb bay of a Mosquito where the oxygen did not work. He had not way of communicating with the pilot so he was suffocating. Some german night fighter forced the pilot down in a dive to shake him off - and that saved Bohr...

But here on Hållö a night time courier plane (a DC-3) crashed in 1943 after getting shot down by a Ju-88 night fighter. Of the 15 people on board, only 2 survived the landing on the small craggy island. The red X marks the spot where the propeller stands as a memorial if anyone visits the Swedish west coast. If you are in Sweden - you really should 🙂

PMvshQr.jpg

And a close up of that really small island with the red X for the crash site:

korXHC8.png

Link to the aviation safety net record of the crash:

https://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=19431022-2

Edited by mazex
  • Like 1

Ryzen 7800X3D | Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX MB | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | RTX 3080 GPU | Sound BlasterX AE-5 | Windows 11 Pro x64 | Virpil T-50 Throttle | T50 CM2 Grip + WarBRD | VKB T-rudder MK IV | Asus PG279Q 1440p | Valve Index VR | Samsung 980 Pro as system disk and Intel 665P SSD for games

4 minutes ago, CarlosF said:

We?? you mean you, I have no insight in MS business model.

The PC version came first and we know it already had some separate features/code, so we know their hands are not technically tied down. Whether or not they just prefer to keep the code as similar as possible, that may be true, but that still doesn't mean they had to do it. They wanted to do it that way, maybe.

Edited by Alpine Scenery

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

2 hours ago, Nyxx said:

Matt,

I hear you and this forum is a terrable place ATM. 

I see your point but for the love of go"o"d why did you post a photo that is not only burry but also grainy as hell. Not the best way to make your point. Sorry

Because, I spent all my money on a machine that can run a flight sim well and not a high end camera.  LOLOL!!!  Seriously, that pic represents what was going on outside the window my friend.  It doesn't have to be a high res photo to portray the real world is not super saturated.

I've been gone for a few hours and I've noticed that some are offended with the fact that I've started this thread.  All I have to say to them is that... It's visitors like you that bring down a forum like this.  Encourage conversation and stop bullying.  Not everyone has seen every thread and topic.  Perhaps you "Super Users" can start a special forum amongst yourselves where those who might be excited about something wont bother you with a repeat topic.

Matt

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, snglecoil said:

Looking into my crystal ball…I see…I see…wait it is coming clear now…I see SU6! I also see posts on the Avsim forums. I can’t quite make them out…wait! Yes I see it now…a post saying:

”It was much more realistic with SU5.”

😉

Hahahahahahahahah!

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

19 minutes ago, Matt B said:

I've been gone for a few hours and I've noticed that some are offended with the fact that I've started this thread.  All I have to say to them is that... It's visitors like you that bring down a forum like this.  Encourage conversation and stop bullying.  Not everyone has seen every thread and topic.  Perhaps you "Super Users" can start a special forum amongst yourselves where those who might be excited about something wont bother you with a repeat topic.

Matt

This forum will give you a thick skin or d----a, which comes first just depends.

There are people on both sides of the "I love it or despise it in its current state" that always go around telling people they shouldn't have posted this or that. You are of course welcome to post whatever you want, there are a few repeat offenders that like to just post random threads, but it really doesn't matter what you post.

The Sim is mesmerizing at first, but once that wears off you start noticing little things here or there that are weird.

Anyhow, as far as saturation and color realism, I pretty much agree with you in that real life many flights look over-exposed due to the bright sun. That said, I don't really care to see that effect that much in the sim, though I can understand pilots that would.

Even though true, there are places around the US where most flights would end up very saturated and not blown out by the sun. For instance during most winters, a lot of places have a very thick and sometimes very high cloud cover which disperses the light evenly across the ground, so unless you are flying really really high, it would look colorful and saturated in the right sun without that over-exposed look. But yes, most flights do have a bit of that OE look.

Edited by Alpine Scenery

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

With my SDR Monitor and a GREAT MSFS before SU5 here's my fair assessment: I didn't want cartoon clouds, and I don't like it one bit! And that's despite the sim running smoother.There you have it.

Here's what I mean:

mPRBCTs.jpg

Gigabyte Aorus Z390Master, i9-9900k @ 5.1 Ghz all cores, RTX 2080, 32 GB RAM

It's a bit early for me as I am doing my 2nd flight after a few days of headache w/ a failed update (due to Process Lasso, or my settings in PL), after which I uninstalled my original install then reinstalled.  But so far, except for some obvious simple bugs, it's a definite net plus for me.  I bought a 3080Ti but haven't opened and installed it, and may not, but as i say it's early and so far I'm seeing a substantial reduction in VRAM and SYSRAM and GPU utilization has dropped bigtime as well.  No stutters, minor adjustment in desktop color settings via NCP, and visually I feel things look about the same.  Trees look a little frosted that I don't recall before.  I have sliders up substantially as well.  So, aside from some minor bugs that look imminently solvable, it's a definite net plus.  Off now to grab the hotfix.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

3 hours ago, chickster25 said:

Thanks for your post. It would be useful to know if you are using HDR or SDR modes?

Also what are your nvidia settings eg for gamma and have you made any changes to your userconfig file?

As you have real world experience and you are happy with your sim, it’s useful to compare?

I am unsure of HDR or SDR Mode as I've never changed anything.  I can look if you tell me where to find these settings.  Also, I've never been in to look at Nvidia settings.  I purchased the machine loaded MSFS2020 six months ago and have been playing since without any changing of settings.   At the time, I noticed then that the graphics were vibrant and (as I said) pretty.  After the update... not so vibrant and pretty....However, more realistic.  I do want to get a look at the clouds on my machine though.  

Well at least for now I'm unable to give an updated assessment, since I am not receiving the option to download the hotfix.

Blah! 😀

Annnnnnnnnd...... Never mind. It popped up as I was typing that.

Edited by HiFlyer

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

In regards to the comment folks are making about spending on high end hardware and not getting their money's worth: who forced you to spend all this cash? You fell for the hype, you listened to all these youtube idiots who are sponsored by the big hardware companies. Now your bank account is empty because you lined the pockets of nvidia and amd. Also you ignored the history of the console market. Had you read up on this history, you could have deduced that the PC version would be optimized along the lines of its console counterpart, thus netting you higher performance on the PC at a cost of reduced visuals. It has been this way for over a decade. 

4 minutes ago, Ricardo41 said:

In regards to the comment folks are making about spending on high end hardware ...

It's mostly a case of optimizing for Xbox Series X for sure, but just giving control back to PC for those that can render at a higher level and as has been mentioned that happens in other titles where PC can have an advantage.  It would make very little sense for them to not offer that at this point having had PC users teeth on a better looking sim, and certainly they know how to do it. 

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

10 minutes ago, Ricardo41 said:

In regards to the comment folks are making about spending on high end hardware and not getting their money's worth: who forced you to spend all this cash? You fell for the hype, you listened to all these youtube idiots who are sponsored by the big hardware companies. Now your bank account is empty because you lined the pockets of nvidia and amd. Also you ignored the history of the console market. Had you read up on this history, you could have deduced that the PC version would be optimized along the lines of its console counterpart, thus netting you higher performance on the PC at a cost of reduced visuals. It has been this way for over a decade. 

yes, about right, you know i play this on  a pc that was below 1000 euro incl monitor, and it runs very fine ...

they will improve the visuals on pc tho for the fast machines they have said that, but who knows when.

its always funny the forums.