Sign in to follow this  
Bobsk8

SU5 Graphiics Tweaks video

3 hours ago, reignman40 said:

Has anyone tried setting.. Raytracing 1 ??

😛

It doesn't do anything

2 hours ago, reignman40 said:

I haven't tried it.. There is also another one that is already active??

{SSRaytracedShadows
        Enabled 1
        Quality 3

That's been there since launch, it's for screens space raytraced shadows.

If you ever noticed some shadows disappearing at the edge of the screen, it's those kind. It only renders for stuff that's currently visible on screen, while true raytracing would take in account the entire game world.

Edited by Tuskin38
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Flyfaster_MTN002 said:

Just FYI Honeycomb has a deskmount system designed and engineered, but not in production yet.

I was at first going to copy the LowRider under desk mount and had already located the polycarbonate sheet from a nationwide vendor for cheaper than anywhere else ($20 for 18 x 36 sheet, 1/4 inch standard PC) when while looking for anyone discussing it (to get a bit more info. LowRider already publishes all the dimensions for the device) I found someone who had made a similar mount from aluminum.  Parts cost me ~$26 and change at Lowes with my military discount, labor took most of the evening as I was not used to drilling (especially countersinking) in aluminum and was very methodical about drill press setup, hole positioning, etc.  However when I went to mount the finished bar I found a plate where I needed to mount it and first had to relocate it while ensuring the loading was good.  Always check WHERE you plan to place your contraptions !The finished product is linked below.  Perhaps the Honeycomb one will be better in which case this was an interesting build if nothing else.

Under Desk Mount

• Like 1

Hi All,

I figured I would give this a try and made a change to each of the LOD values (changed to 3) and turn film grain off, start a flight and all looks ok but when I quit MSFS and check the file again the 3 changes I made have reverted back to default values.

Anyone else seeing this?

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

You could post this as an FSX screenshot and no one would know. 

aHJjZMI.png

13 minutes ago, Richdem said:

Hi All,

I figured I would give this a try and made a change to each of the LOD values (changed to 3) and turn film grain off, start a flight and all looks ok but when I quit MSFS and check the file again the 3 changes I made have reverted back to default values.

Anyone else seeing this?

If I recall, you need to set the user.cfg to read only

Edited by ThrottleUp

19 hours ago, espent said:

There is something else going on as well. I am wondering if Bing maps have problems with the bandwidth towards Asobo.

This is FL280 a few hours ago just north of Denver LOD 200:

lod1.png

This is over Norway just now. Also LOD 200 and FL280:

lod2.png

I first thought that the Denver scene was because of the LOD setting, and I change it to 400. That made me have crisp ground textures up to FL400.

But when I tested over Norway a bit later on LOD 200 I am still having crisp ground textures way above FL300.

I am not sure what is causing this, but could these difference be the reason for why people are reporting so different experiences with SU5?

Remember to click on the screenshots to load them in full size to see the difference.

EDIT: I just teleported myself to KJFK and again the ground textures looks horrible. 

lod3.png

Yeah that's LOD 200 since SU5... horrible. That one time above Norway it probably worked okay because the terrain was higher, so FL300 wasn't 30000 feet above ground but rather 25000 or whatever. For me starting at FL320 on flat terrain it's VGA-texture all over. That is with max. LOD 200 of course; config file edit is obligatory right now.

10 minutes ago, ThrottleUp said:

You could post this as an FSX screenshot and no one would know. 

aHJjZMI.png

If I recall, you need to set the user.cfg to read only

If I do that I cannot change any of the values within the file. I am editing directly with Notepad ++

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

3 minutes ago, Richdem said:

If I do that I cannot change any of the values within the file. I am editing directly with Notepad ++

You can disable the ReadMe flag, edit the file, save and renable ReadMe.

This is to prevent the game from resetting everything which AFAIK happens if you use the in-game menu at any time. 

I have also read that the game has stopped making changes to the user.cfg but (so setting the readme isnt needed) but someone else can verify this or you can do some tests. 

Edited by ThrottleUp

LOD 3 is enough for 40000 feet i am using it and it is OK for me, have to test this filmgrain this is on but looks good anyway for me, but i will do a test with off to see what happens..

cheers 😉

My Rig : Intel I7-7820X 8 Core ( 16 Threads ) @ 4,0, ASUS Prime X299 A II,  64 GB 3600-17 Trident Z, 750W Corsair CX750 80+ Bronze,  MSI 8GB RTX 2080 Super Ventus XS OC, WD 4TB and WD 6TB 7200 HD,  Win10 V.21H2, in use 3x 4K monitors 2x32 Samsung 1x27 LG  3840x2160.

spacer.png

My days of tweaking cfg files are over!  To be honest I watched that video and I couldn't see a blind bit of difference with the before/after shots but thats just me. 

• Like 1

Thomas Derbyshire

20 hours ago, Tom Wright said:

People bust open the cfg files and start plugging their own numbers in and then wonder why they're getting CTDs...

But of course it's all Xbox's fault!

Fact, as admitted by MS - the visuals have degraded.

So changing some number may give better visuals. If no ctd then great.  If there are ctd where there were none before, the changes need to be reverted. I think we can make the connection.

It isn't the xbox's fault, it is the fault of MS that took a great looking flightsim and shoe horned it into the xbox. 

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

I prefer to wait until Asobo is through with their patch before I consider any config tweaks. I don't want to chase my tail so to speak.

• Like 1

i9-12900K | Asus ROG Strix Z690-F Gaming | RTX 3080 | 32GB DDR5 | Win 10 Pro | Acer Predator UltraWide 3440x1440 (G-Sync)

53 minutes ago, ThrottleUp said:

You can disable the ReadMe flag, edit the file, save and renable ReadMe.

This is to prevent the game from resetting everything which AFAIK happens if you use the in-game menu at any time. 

I have also read that the game has stopped making changes to the user.cfg but (so setting the readme isnt needed) but someone else can verify this or you can do some tests. 

That was it,

I enabled the read only flag after editing and it stuck

Thanks

• Like 1

Richard

mmBbmS1.png

4 minutes ago, Richdem said:

That was it,

I enabled the read only flag after editing and it stuck

Thanks

Great, glad it worked. Im gonna try it myself now, got rid of all the silly post processing effects. 

19 hours ago, Flyfaster_MTN002 said:

Just FYI Honeycomb has a deskmount system designed and engineered, but not in production yet.

I tried searching, any link for more info before I hijack some home furniture and get into the bad books with my lovely wife?

This is the blurry mess I see approaching EGNX at 4000 feet on Ultra . Even the buildings are shimmering. 

Imk2f0e.png

Edited by Bobsk8
  • Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310