Sign in to follow this  
Bigbluss

Is MSFS worth reinstalling at all?

Hey guys, 

Hope everyone is well. I've been flying DCS for the last few months (I previously have many hours on MSFS) and felt an urge to fly some civilian aircraft on Pilotedge. If I was to buy the PMDG DC-6 with a barebones install of MSFS, no other addons bar Navigraph, Pilotedge client (or Vatsim) client, and the DC6, am I likely to run into a lot of issues due to SU5? I could download the sim and try it out, I know, but its huge and takes many days on my net connection.

I am also uninstalled at this time and patiently waiting out the upcoming hotfix to see what shakes out.  Ear to the ground indicates for me at least that I might even hold off until after the 8/24 World Update.  I just want a good clean fresh install rather than an install with subsequently applied hotfixes.  Been there done that over the years with this simulation activity....  Had too many accumulated (progressive) MSFS issues is the reason for my current posture.  And much of the time I have spent accumulating scenery addons and mods may be down the drain due to SU WU and hotfix updates.

• Like 2

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

1 minute ago, fppilot said:

I am also uninstalled at this time and patiently waiting out the upcoming hotfix to see what shakes out.  Ear to the ground indicates for me at least that I might even hold off until after the 8/24 World Update.  I just want a good clean fresh install rather than an install with subsequently applied hotfixes.  Been there done that over the years with this simulation activity....  Had too many accumulated (progressive) MSFS issues is the reason for my current posture.  And much of the time I have spent accumulating scenery addons and mods may be down the drain due to SU WU and hotfix updates.

Thanks for this fppilot, I feel perhaps what you're doing is the best approach. I have plenty of modules on DCS to entertain me, but I miss that relaxing 'talking to ATC and being deeply involved with nothing but flying' feeling.

20 hours ago, Bigbluss said:

I could download the sim and try it out, I know, but its huge and takes many days on my net connection.

Thanks 🙂

It's working reasonably well for me after learning two things about how to cope w/ changes in graphics.  I have flown P3D lately about 5x but it does not have the appeal for me that MSFS does.  I bought a 3080 Ti but have yet to open it because performance has improved so much I will wait to see if Asobo adds back controls to use more of the new GPU.  Right now the 2070 Super I'm using has kept up well even at my most demanding 3rd party airport which is uber hard on GPU and VRAM such that I needed to adjust LOD down to 100 or 110 each, with several settings at Medium just to get off the ground smoothly.  Now all's at Ultra and I had only one brief increase in GPU use to 99% and VRAM to 7350 or so.   I've had some CTD as has been reported, but most flights post SU5 have completed fine.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Well if it works, then MSFS and the DC-6 is an absolutely stellar combo. But if you are in the same boat as I am you will get CTDs galore. I think I would wait for the next hotpatch which is due to be released soon.

• Like 2

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

20 hours ago, Bigbluss said:

Hey guys, 

Hope everyone is well. I've been flying DCS for the last few months (I previously have many hours on MSFS) and felt an urge to fly some civilian aircraft on Pilotedge. If I was to buy the PMDG DC-6 with a barebones install of MSFS, no other addons bar Navigraph, Pilotedge client (or Vatsim) client, and the DC6, am I likely to run into a lot of issues due to SU5? I could download the sim and try it out, I know, but its huge and takes many days on my net connection.

Thanks 🙂

The DC6 flies well in MSFS there has just been another update for her, I have experienced no ctd's since the latest update to the sim, the only thing I have noticed is the navigation system in the sim is messed up, when you engaged the GPS the DC6 would turn around and fly back to where it started from!  Also the ILS is also not working properly I have had to land her without using this aid, I have navigated by flying from VOR to VOR. I have not yet flown the DC6 since the latest update, I am about to try it,  hopefully things will have improved.

Asus Maximus Hero X11, Intel i9 10850k, 32gb Corsair Dominator ram, 2tb Corsair mp510 ssd  m2, Gigybyte turbo RTX 3090

33 minutes ago, Swe_Richard said:

Well if it works, then MSFS and the DC-6 is an absolutely stellar combo. But if you are in the same boat as I am you will get CTDs galore. I think I would wait for the next hotpatch which is due to be released soon.

I will not jump all over an immediate installation after the upcoming hotfix but will wait out the reports following that hotfix.  Color me learn-ed. 🤪

Edited by fppilot
  • Upvote 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Honestly, the update is a large download with the requirement for you to also re download all the world updates and content again as well, which takes hours and alot of bandwith. I would just skip this one and wait for SU6 which is scheduled for next month.

I haven't followed the previous discussions (pre-SU5) about this topic very closely, but I remember several users reinstalled MSFS trying to solve some issues they had, but to no avail. An easier thing to try could be to delete (rename/move) all local settings, Marketplace packages, and of course everything in the community folder, and start from there. This should be close to the fresh install but with a lot less hassle and download time.

Are you on MS Store or on Steam?

Edited by pstrub

My simming system: AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 Ti Super 16GB, LG 38" 3840x1600

48 minutes ago, pstrub said:

Are you on MS Store or on Steam?

I am on MS Store and when I do reinstall I will do so into a custom location with a much shorter filepath.  I have suspicions the ultra long default installation filepath may be causing some issues, despite a system setting to overcome a length limitation I vaguely recall making some months ago.  I do religiously use the Addons Linker and will also shorten the separate filepath I use with it.

Frank Patton
ASUS 

8 minutes ago, fppilot said:

I am on MS Store and when I do reinstall I will do so into a custom location with a much shorter filepath.  I have suspicions the ultra long default installation filepath may be causing some issues, despite a system setting to overcome a length limitation I vaguely recall making some months ago.  I do religiously use the Addons Linker and will also shorten the separate filepath I use with it.

I wonder what they were thinking when they decided to hide the default directory like the Holy Grail? 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

No I would find an old copy of X-plane 10 and install that instead. It was very stable.🤪

• Like 1

Pit.jpg

Com GA Pilot, Retired • MSFS 2020 • Gigabyte 8th gen lga1151 motherboard z2370 hd3, i5 8600 8th gen 4.3ghz, Thermaltake 750w power supply, 4 x 8gb ddr4 dimm, MSI force GTO 1070 8gb ddr5, 4 SSD's • 4K main display with 3 HD displays, one is a touch screen. Often used as 3 1080P NVIDEA surround screens and one HD touchscreen for AirManager

10 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

I wonder what they were thinking when they decided to hide the default directory like the Holy Grail? 

It's strange isn't it. I've had to attempt a reinstall before just to view the installation directory location! I'm guessing there's a reason behind it, but given it works fine if you install it elsewhere, I do wonder what that reason is.

38 minutes ago, fppilot said:

No need to re-download for this. I switched from MS Store to Steam last year after the gamepass trial month, moved the folder to the new position, pointed the MSFS installer to it and it worked just fine. Yes, there can be issues with the paths longer than 255 characters. This seems to be a limitation imposed by Windows, not by MSFS, so not much you can do about it. So definitely a good idea to keep the path short for MSFS.

Edit: So my suggestion is, move the folder to the new location (if you have enough free space on your drive, make a copy of it), then launch MSFS. When it asks you about the folder location, point it to the new folder.

Edited by pstrub

My simming system: AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 Ti Super 16GB, LG 38" 3840x1600